How did this happen?

Options
Howdy! Hi! Hola! Tel nido! Salam! Hoi! :happy:

My name is Angela (I feel like this is an AA type introduction) and I like food. I've loved food my whole life. I'm Bohemian/German/Norwegian. I love my carbs, fatty food, and beer. I'm 25 years old, a mother of twin 22 month girls, recent divorcee, full time Emergency Medical Technician is a busy Emergency Dept, AND full time Paramedic student. I've always been an "active" person. Sports are what I'm good at...actually great at. All during my "childhood" I participated in sports 24/7. I wasn't one to just sit around. Here's where my love of food really kicks in. Since I was so active my horrible eating habits went unnoticed. I burned them off, kept up with my calorie intake vs. my working out. Once High School was over so was my activities. I became a college kid. I drank, ate a ton, and studied (which was sitting my *kitten* on the couch for hours on end). I have always had a mesomorph body type. I'm thick. I have an athletic build. I'm strong. I love this body type, but it comes with consequences too. If you don't keep it in shape it loses it shape. Twins, Marriage, Divorce, School, Jobs...I blame all of them (of course it was me, but who wants to blame their self?)

Many Many MANY excuses later here I am sitting around 250 lbs and wondering how the hell this happened. It's horrible. I'm finally ready to come to terms that my body won't just get fit again. I believe I have a decent plan in place, the motivation to go along with it, and the resources needed. I came on MFP to have you guys as cheerleaders and as my motivation (love all the success stories!)

I LOVE tips...any tips are very welcomed and hopefully will be utilized.

Replies

• Healthynut31
    Healthynut31 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Howdy! Hi! Hola! Tel nido! Salam! Hoi! :happy:

My name is Angela (I feel like this is an AA type introduction) and I like food. I've loved food my whole life. I'm Bohemian/German/Norwegian. I love my carbs, fatty food, and beer. I'm 25 years old, a mother of twin 22 month girls, recent divorcee, full time Emergency Medical Technician is a busy Emergency Dept, AND full time Paramedic student. I've always been an "active" person. Sports are what I'm good at...actually great at. All during my "childhood" I participated in sports 24/7. I wasn't one to just sit around. Here's where my love of food really kicks in. Since I was so active my horrible eating habits went unnoticed. I burned them off, kept up with my calorie intake vs. my working out. Once High School was over so was my activities. I became a college kid. I drank, ate a ton, and studied (which was sitting my *kitten* on the couch for hours on end). I have always had a mesomorph body type. I'm thick. I have an athletic build. I'm strong. I love this body type, but it comes with consequences too. If you don't keep it in shape it loses it shape. Twins, Marriage, Divorce, School, Jobs...I blame all of them (of course it was me, but who wants to blame their self?)

Many Many MANY excuses later here I am sitting around 250 lbs and wondering how the hell this happened. It's horrible. I'm finally ready to come to terms that my body won't just get fit again. I believe I have a decent plan in place, the motivation to go along with it, and the resources needed. I came on MFP to have you guys as cheerleaders and as my motivation (love all the success stories!)

I LOVE tips...any tips are very welcomed and hopefully will be utilized.
    Congrats on starting!! Today is my first day too.. Feel free to add me!!
  • Heidi_20
    Heidi_20 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It takes one step at a time and being here is your first step!! Feel free to add me I will cheer you on!!!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Good for you on getting started! My twins are seven and am just now getting back into better health. Intros do feel like an AA meeting, lol!
  • nuemmedigg
    nuemmedigg Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Tschuess! I too have a lot to lose, and I do have some weight loss tips. Been on MFP since December, and log on consistently. If you keep your food diary open to your friends, we can give you input.
    Feel free to add me.

I know it says since Feb 2011, but I took a hiatus until Dec. 2012
  • royvor
    royvor Posts: 271
    Options
    Hi, You sound ready for a change. Friend request sent. I will be a cheer leader becuase I am on here a lot to keep my self motivated. Lets work together and encourage one another on this journey.
  • mvp19
    mvp19 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I am a newbie as well...joined last week. I needed some motivation as well, I just stumbled upon MFP while searching info on calorie tracker. So gald I found it - tracking the food helps me alot with making healthier choices. Hopefully i will be able to continue with this and reach my goal weight!!!
  • hludwig980
    hludwig980 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I feel where your at. I to was at a very similar place (minus the kids and husband/divorce) but was also very active while I was in school (back in the day). While I was always heavier than I should have been, it really wasn't that bad because I was always doing something. Good Luck!! I'll be cheering for you!
  • Jami_A
    Jami_A Posts: 19
    Options
    Welcome.

I totally know where you are coming from. Growing up, I was in super shape. Sports hid my eating addiction ( I suffer from a binge eating disorder). Graduated school, had kids (5) ,became less active & well,thats why I am here now.
    Good luck! You can do it :)
  • GhostinthePC
    GhostinthePC Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started my journey 55 days ago. There are a few things I have learned on my journey:

1) Don't be obsessed with the big picture. You'll get there. Focus on the battles, not the war. Small victories feel so big when you focus on the short term goals (3 pounds, 5 pounds, etc)

2) Reward yourself and don't deprive yourself. You will lose focus if you eat salads and celery all the time. If you know you are going out to dinner or lunch with friends...do it. But plan it in your weekly meals as well.

3) Fiber rich foods and protein rich foods are your friend. They keep you fuller...longer.

4) You need the support of those close to you. Explain this journey to them and what your desires are.

5) Don't go out and restock the pantry all at once. Use the first 2 weeks to identify your diet and triggers. If you run out of something, buy the healthier alternative (ie: vegetable oil to coconut oil).

6) Research, research, research. Learn what foods aid in weight loss.

7) Stop drinking soda. ALL of it. It hinders weight loss. Increase water intake and learn to infuse your water with fresh fruits and mints.

8) Avoid aspartame.

9) Read labels. I stress again...READ labels. If you cannot pronounce ANYTHING on the label...you probably don't need it.

10) Don't fall for package marketing. Learn to make your own foods incorporating healthier options. If you cook it, you know what's in it.

Hope this helps.

1 final thing...LOG everything...even if you go over on your macros and micros.
  • GhostinthePC
    GhostinthePC Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I am a newbie as well...joined last week. I needed some motivation as well, I just stumbled upon MFP while searching info on calorie tracker. So gald I found it - tracking the food helps me alot with making healthier choices. Hopefully i will be able to continue with this and reach my goal weight!!!

Feel free to send a friend request :)
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Well helllllllooooooooooo there! So you screwed up and now your looking for a way to get back? Hmmmm yup you came to the right place! You need to fill out all your **** and then get your *kitten* in gear! It took me 54 years to get this body that I have and now it may take me that long to get back what I really want but I am doing this crap! You can do it too. Just check in every day and log, log log! Don't cheat, except on your BF and don't lie to us! We know when your lying! We are that good!

Add if you want but I am pretty much an *kitten* so do what you want!

All my love,

Marcello
  • kalea_kane
    Options
    Just sent you a friend request. When I was a small child my mom made me mashed potatoes. I found a friend for life. :) Or would that be frenemy. Today is my first day back at the site after way too much time away.
  • pamla77
    pamla77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are ready ! :)
    feel free to add me!! i'm on everyday.. i'm not perfect but I've got drive and determination! I have found what works for me, its just a matter of making myself do it. I'd be happy to answer any questions that I might have answers to. Love finding friends to keep me going in the right direction!
  • jhwellness
    jhwellness Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Becoming healthy to me is very simple yet elusive task. Support from others has been so helpful for me. Feel free to add me
  • closedforrenovation
    Options
    Welcome! I just joined last week and I've already noticed how great it is to have the support and encouragement of the community here! It's much easier to keep on track!

And as a fellow food and booze loving gal, I'm sending you a friend request!
  • mmeyerhoff87
    mmeyerhoff87 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you like. Good luck on your journey.
  • KatGreenGo
    Options
    Hola Angela!
    I can relate so much to your story. I am a Chiropractor Assistant waiting to get in the Nursing Program for RN's. I have played sports my whole life and when I stopped I noticed how quickly the pounds came on! You're not alone on this journey and I wish you the best of luck!
    ~Kathryn~
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Here is the most important tip I can think of: DON'T QUIT. No matter how hard it gets, no matter how poorly you think you're doing, don't give up!
  • galleyhook
    Options
    Dobrý večer! I'm half Bohemian and proud of it. You can do it!