Guilty about not exercising when sick

Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I'm not really a work out nuts, I workout every day but it's often 150-200 calories, with two classes at the gym a week (bodypump and bodyjam).

I've been sick though. I missed my bodyjam class last week because I took bodypump the day before and ended up really sore. Sunday I did bodypump again, and increased my weights, so Monday I just did a walk, and I've been sick since... yesterday I did a short but intense strength workout that I had to stop after 12 minutes because I felt awful, today I did a 30 minutes brisk walk (plus probably the same thing when I took the kids to the farm). I can't talk, I have a sore throat, my syrup is making me stoned, and I'm congested to boot. So tomorrow I'm probably missing bodyjam again, as it's pretty intense and I've been pretty weak, and will probably just go for yet another walk.

Doesn't help that I apparently overdid it on Sunday and my right arm still hurts pretty badly when i extend it (both the bicep and the triceps).

I'm feeling guilty though! What do you all do when you feel sick? I'm going in vacations next week and have every intention to lift more when I come back, and order the pump package so I can do it three times a week, and will walk a lot while away, but still. The guilt. Ugh.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    When I'm sick, I rest - the body needs it! I still track food, and eat whatever sounds good, doing my best to stay with healthy stuff, but no guilt over not doing any workouts. Your body would do better with a nap than trying to push it through even a brisk walk when you're as sick as what you described. :tongue:

Take it easy, rest well so you can enjoy your vacation, and get back to it when you're back home and all healed up.
  • bdoug1234
    bdoug1234 Posts: 28
    No sence in killing ones self trying to get healthy. Listen to your body. I used to have this problem. I usually was way to low on calories and exercising and no fats. Next thing I know I was sick.. Check your fat intake. Fats are fuel for the immune system.

I would score my food intake and STOP exercising and get better.. Do what you need to do to get well. Chicken soup and the comfort foods you usually use but in moderation. Oh and lots of fluid and rest.

The body is busy enough trying to sort out other issues when sick.Who knows you might even just get better and lose weight :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    When I'm sick, I rest - the body needs it! I still track food, and eat whatever sounds good, doing my best to stay with healthy stuff, but no guilt over not doing any workouts. Your body would do better with a nap than trying to push it through even a brisk walk when you're as sick as what you described. :tongue:

Take it easy, rest well so you can enjoy your vacation, and get back to it when you're back home and all healed up.

This is what I do as well. It's a few days off at most. Nobody ever lost all of their gainz because they missed a couple of workouts.