Lower stomach bloating after becoming a vegetarian?

Options
I have been a vegetarian for about a month and a half now. Everything is great, but a few weeks ago I noticed that the lower part of my stomach was bloated. It haa pretty much been like that since then. Sometimes it goes away and sometimes I am super bloated. I have no idea what is causing it. I get enough protein in my diet by eating protein bars and drinking shakes. Does anyone know what is causing this bloating?

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I guessing good old fashioned fiber and gas. Lots of veggies do that!
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'd guess that it's just your body getting used to change. My body goes haywire for the first week or so of any change of diet, whether that's eating better, or eating worse. However most of the time my body is fairly settled and I'm a veggie too.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm not a veggie, but I eat a lot of veggies and legumes and grains and I often get bloated. I've started taking a gas pill regularly until my body adjusts...plus my poor hubby couldn't stand being in the same room with me! I would think its just your body trying to adjust to your new way of eating.
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Protein bars and a lot of health shakes will gas you up or are often times loaded with sodium which makes you retain water. Watch your salt intake and add bay leaf to your beans when you cook them, as this will alleviate your gas. If you are eating a lot of grains and this is more than just a bloat but is a SUPER bloat, you might be looking at a Gluten allergy and I'd suggest cutting out all gluten for 2 weeks to a month to see if it goes away. If it does, you've got your answer.
  • BluePHX
    BluePHX Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and outside a little gas at the start, this is never a problem for me except for when someone accidentally sneaks gluten into my system. My stomach bloats out and uh... bad things happen to my intestines. :/
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    you just need a fart thats kinda what happens when you go from injesting a small amount to a large amount of fibre/veg/grains.