Girl Question

Ok so since I started dieting and exercising I have been getting extremely long and painful periods twice a month lasting up to 10 days. It is causing me so much pain and fatigue and irritability that I just don't know what to do. What could be the cause of this and when will my periods go back to normal???

Replies

• supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    10 days?? My dear you need to go see a gynecologist ASAP.
  • MrGrobbel
    MrGrobbel Posts: 35
    I have an appointment but it's not until May 7th and I just started my period (yet again) two weeks earlier than it is supposed to come. It's actually like I have two completely separate cycles that are just working around each other. my regular period comes every 28 days and my "in between/irregular/early" periods come every 28 days from each other as well. It's literally like I'm on my period more than not. it's extremely miserable but like I said it didn't start until I started dieting and exercising
  • backpacker44
    backpacker44 Posts: 160 Member
    Yeah, that's not normal.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    I have no idea what's going on. I hope it's your body getting back in sync or something. Maybe you can get your appointment moved up?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    In the meantime up your iron.
  • MrGrobbel
    It's the earliest they can see me. I do take birth control as well which caused some expected irregularity in the beginning but then they were completely normal, every 28 days, 3-4 day long periods. which is completely manageable. But when they're lasting up to ten days! and twice in a month!! Ughhh. sorry about my complaining lol.
  • ChristiSykes
    ChristiSykes Posts: 186 Member
    sounds like your immune system is very low! Try Folic Acid and Echinacea. Prenatal may be needed as well...even if you aren't pregnant it can be helpful :)
  • What was your diet/routine like before and what is it like now?

I agree, see the gyno asap.
  • GabyG69
    GabyG69 Posts: 213
    One time, about 2 years ago, I had my period for about 15 days and they weren't painful but it wasn't normal for me (my periods usually last about 5 days, maybe 7). I went to the doctor and they found that I had an iron deficiency as well as an underactive thyroid. You should definitely go see a doctor.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    sounds like your immune system is very low! Try Folic Acid and Echinacea. Prenatal may be needed as well...even if you aren't pregnant it can be helpful :)

Sorry not much to do with immune system. If I'm wrong please explain.
  • Wow, maybe you should check into seeing your doctor.
    See, its the complete opposite for me.
    Ever since I started eating healthier, and working out mine only lasts 4-5 days (they used to be 7 days each time) and with as little bleeding as possible.
    When I have period pains/cramps I work out even more than usual just because working out lets off a hormone that eases pain, and it usually gets rid of them.
    That's very strange though. Maybe you should get that checked out.
  • MrGrobbel
    My diet/routine before:
    -Eat what I want when I want (which mainly consisted of fatty fast food and other crap and extremely often at that)
    -No exercise whatsoever

My diet/routine now:
    -1,370 cals max (though it's usually well under)
    -No meat/fish
    -Cardio 5 days a week (6.2 mph for 35 minutes or 3.5 miles)
    -One 60 minute jog a week (6 mph 6 miles)
    -some pretty random weight training workouts here and there (average about twice a week)
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    My diet/routine before:
    -Eat what I want when I want (which mainly consisted of fatty fast food and other crap and extremely often at that)
    -No exercise whatsoever

My diet/routine now:
    -1,370 cals max (though it's usually well under)
    -No meat/fish
    -Cardio 5 days a week (6.2 mph for 35 minutes or 3.5 miles)
    -One 60 minute jog a week (6 mph 6 miles)
    -some pretty random weight training workouts here and there (average about twice a week)

That sounds like your problem right there. You need to eat more, especially since you are exercising so much.
  • MrGrobbel
    Idk. I mean I haven't lost any weight in the past couple weeks. the last time I weighed myself I actually gained some weight. I'm terrified to step back on the scale again so I'm giving it about a week or so before I weigh again. I don't see how eating more would help with the weight problem which is what I've been trying to solve all along.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Idk. I mean I haven't lost any weight in the past couple weeks. the last time I weighed myself I actually gained some weight. I'm terrified to step back on the scale again so I'm giving it about a week or so before I weigh again. I don't see how eating more would help with the weight problem which is what I've been trying to solve all along.

Read this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    If you've lost weight fast it can alter your cycle (some hormones are stored in fat...so rapid fat loss frees some).

Overtraining and under eating can also trigger changes in your cycle.

Good idea to see a Dr to rule out thyroid issues and check for low iron....also record what days of your birthcontrol pill pack you are bleeding on...then the dr can see what parts of your cycle are the problem and can maybe try a birthcontrol with different hormone levels to help.
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Please listen to what they are telling you. You obviously aren't eating enough, youre severely malnurished, and all that excersise to? That's taking a toll on your body. I eat 1800 calories a day and workout just like you and still lose weight. Eat more. Veggies, fruit and espesially protien. Simple as that. Right now your body is scared to death to lose any of the fat you have because it doesn't know when or if its going to get any more. Eat more and it will be more willing to let go of the fat because its not wondering when its next meal is. I lost 100 pounds, i know what im talking about. Treat your body right and it will treat you right.
  • LilEmm
    LilEmm Posts: 240
    I echo everyone else - you're not eating enough & you're bleeding for most of the month. No good! Take care of that bod. :)

Up your iron, up your food intake. Bodily stress affects your hormones, which affects your cycle.

This may seem weird, but do you get enough sleep/do you sleep in the dark? If not, it can totally mess with your hormones and your cycle too.
  • MrGrobbel
    I get about 5-6 hours of sleep a night. Yes it's in the dark. I couldn't tell you how much sleep is enough sleep but there's not much I can do about it. I have school, work, and homework. I have to sleep around that. those are my priorities.
  • 13tea
    13tea Posts: 55
    If you can't get in to see your GYN, make an appointment with your PCP. You need to be seen pronto. He can order blood work and some test. That way when you finally get to see your GYN you'll have test results in hand. Good Luck!