what's important to you?

Options
What's something important to your success that you ARE doing now, but WEREN'T doing before????

Mine is taking my vitamins!!! I've started a daily routine of taking the following:

Fish oil
Flaxseed oil
Daily multi-vitamin
Osteo Biflex

What about you? What's helped you begin to see more improvement? Either in numbers or overall being.....

Replies

• spiralgirl71
    spiralgirl71 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    The quality of food that I put into my body. If two foods have the same caloric value and one is made up of junk and the other will do something positive for my body I now go with the more healthier option. I know this seems like a no-brainer but it's amazing the way I would distort my thinking in the past to justify eating the lesser healthy option.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Good topic!

Water! Drinking my water has become one of the single most important things to me...it makes me feel more "alive" - totally has an effect on my weight loss and keeps me from being quite as sore.

Music... I notice that when I have music playing in the background I just move more... and we all know that moving more burns more calories.

Logging calories - honestly, I had no idea what a "serving" of most things was until I started MFP. Just being aware of what I'm eating has made a huge difference!

And of course.... Exercise - I don't go to the gym and sweat it out for hours... my exercise consists of walking on the treadmill, playing with the WIi or my favorite... mowing the grass (we have a big yard and non-self-propelled push mower).
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Knowing what I'm eating before I eat it. If I have to go to a restaurant that doesn't have a nutrition chart for their food I don't want to go there.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Logging calories for sure!! It's helped me be more aware of my portion sizes...I still haven't gotten to the point of portioning out my food with a measuring cup or weighing it - but I am definitely more conscious of what I am eating.

Also drinking less alcohol. I've drastically reduced my alcohol (and pop for that matter) intake over the last 6 months. I think it's had a huge impact!
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    This reminds me, I need to take my fish oil! :laugh:
  • pamela35
    pamela35 Posts: 14
    Options
    Drinking 8 or more glasses of water a day, eating more fruits and cutting out the greasy foods and just eating better, makes me feel better!
  • crking
    crking Posts: 175
    Options
    Portion control..I don't really diet but watching portions has been working really well for me! I am seeing even more of a change.
  • LilMissAngi
    LilMissAngi Posts: 127
    Options
    no soda and no fast food
    I started to drink at least 8 8oz
    dropped like 3 pounds in a week when I stop putting those into my body!
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    One thing is actually caring about what I am eating, how much and when. Before I never gave a thought to any of it. Another thing would be staying active, now I have alot more energy than I ever have or so it seems. Before I was lazy and wasn't really concerned about exercise...my excuse was "It's not my thing!" Lol! Thirdly just staying focused on being as healthy as I can be not so much about the number on the scale. I'm still overweight but I feel 100% healthier which I love! :flowerforyou: Great topic!
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Knowing what I'm eating before I eat it. If I have to go to a restaurant that doesn't have a nutrition chart for their food I don't want to go there.

I am the same way. If we do I just get a salad.
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    Definitely eating clean is of utmost importance to me. I've been taking Krill oil and I just switched to Mercola Whole food multivitamin supplement from the GNC Mega Men supplement I was taking.

Whole foods
    No preservatives
    No Soy period
    No hydrogenated oils and fats
    Good fiberous carbs....
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options

I am the same way. If we do I just get a salad.

be careful, lots of restaurants will use potato whitener on their lettuce to keep it looking green and fresh.
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    Nice topic!

For me it is watching what I eat but also to be able to turn down that double quarter pound burger for a jacket potato as I did last week. Never had that willpower before. It is also the time I spend in the gym. Working out is now a really important part of my day and is my stress reliever.

My confidence is now so high and I finally feel in complete control of my life.
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest things for me are tracking what I eat and drinking water.....I feel so much better and it's only 8 lbs so far. It's great :)
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    Good topic!

Water! Drinking my water has become one of the single most important things to me...it makes me feel more "alive" - totally has an effect on my weight loss and keeps me from being quite as sore.

Music... I notice that when I have music playing in the background I just move more... and we all know that moving more burns more calories.

Logging calories - honestly, I had no idea what a "serving" of most things was until I started MFP. Just being aware of what I'm eating has made a huge difference!

And of course.... Exercise - I don't go to the gym and sweat it out for hours... my exercise consists of walking on the treadmill, playing with the WIi or my favorite... mowing the grass (we have a big yard and non-self-propelled push mower).

YES MA'AM!!!!! I'd have to agree with ALL FOUR!!!!!!
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Preparation!

I used to leave the house in the morning not knowing what I was going to eat during the day (and not really caring if I'm honest), but now I'm completely prepared. I bring my breakfast and lunch to work along with a 2lr bottle of water and I have a couple of cereal bars in my drawer if I'm a little bit peckish! Beforehand, I would have been sitting at the desk wondering what I fancied for lunch and talking about it with the others... and that usually resulted in a trip to the local fast food outlet!

Also, I think it's important to ensure that you don't do without.... If i crave something, I'll have it, but in moderation :wink:
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    Eating clean has been SO important in my weight loss, as well as exercising.

I've also committed to being active every single day....and it's made me feel so energized! Just a few minutes ago I was sitting at my desk feeling like a slug, staring outside wishing I could get out there....so I jumped up and went down to the plaza level of my building and climbed the stairs from the bottom to the top of my building. 4 flights later, my heart is pumping, and I'm feeling much better!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,650 Member
    Options
    What's something important to your success that you ARE doing now, but WEREN'T doing before????
    Mine's the reverse. I'm not doing something now that I was doing before. I used to have a cheat day every other week, and I don't now. I think that has helped me be successful mentally, which translates into being successful physically. I agree with all who say it's not good to feel deprived, but what I found was that incorporating a cheat day made me feel like I was depriving myself all the rest of the time. This is the way I live now, not something to do temporarily until I hit some magic number, and that means I still enjoy a bit of dark chocolate and a glass of wine daily. However, I very rarely have chips, cookies, brownies, ice cream, fattening restaurant food, etc. It has made all the difference in the world.
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    Preparation!

I used to leave the house in the morning not knowing what I was going to eat during the day (and not really caring if I'm honest), but now I'm completely prepared. I bring my breakfast and lunch to work along with a 2lr bottle of water and I have a couple of cereal bars in my drawer if I'm a little bit peckish! Beforehand, I would have been sitting at the desk wondering what I fancied for lunch and talking about it with the others... and that usually resulted in a trip to the local fast food outlet!

Also, I think it's important to ensure that you don't do without.... If i crave something, I'll have it, but in moderation :wink:

ABSOLUTELY~~~~ My husband laughs at me every morning because I basically take the fridge with me!!! lol