Should I have P90X recovery drink OR a whey protein shake?

Options
dragonfly74
dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
I need help! I am just curious as to which one I should purchase and use. I enjoy both but am concerned about the high sugar content in the recovery drink (36g). MFP says I should only have around 24g of sugar a day (which is very difficult, at least for me). I want to lose only about 10 - 15 lbs and gain more muscle mass. I feel I am in good shape. I workout 6 days a week for about an hour a day. I use P90X, P90 and Slim in 6.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    What's your budget? Heh. The P90X drink is fairly expensive and could easily be substituted with an 8 ounce glass of light chocolate milk or a protein shake made with water or unsweetened almond milk / skim milk.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I just use whey protein powder and make smoothies with it afterwards. In my opinion it's cheaper and works just as well.
  • dragonfly74
    Options
    Thanks for your response!

However, they cannot be substituted for each other. That is why I am asking the question of which would be better for what I am trying to achieve.

The recovery drink has: 220 calories, 39g carbs, 2g fat, 10g protein, 0 fiber and 36g of sugar

where as the whey protein shake I usually drink with almond milk has:

180 calories, 12g carbs, 5g fat, 21g protein, 1g fiber and 9g of sugar.

So the ratio to carbs and protein is quite a bit different between the two and I need to know which is better for me to gain muscle at this point.

Thanks again, and I too love Neil Patrick ~ How I met your mother is the best show!
  • mjandrews83
    Options
    whey protein is way better for gaining muscle mass and it is healthier overall.

p90x and personally developed workout regiment
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    For a cheaper recovery drink, try adding chocolate to your almond milk ... you'll have to play with the serving size of the chocolate to get the 4:1 ratio but it works all the same.

Otherwise, the P90X recovery drink works great if you can afford it. I'll have a scoop before my workout and another after my workout.

If you want to use whey protein, you would need to add some kind of juice (apple or grape) and not use a full scoop of whey (I think it's normally around 2 tbs).
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I think the Recovery drink is awesome!! The sugar is actually used to replace glycogen to refuel your body.

You could also put fresh or frozen fruit in that protein shake to bring the calories up....but the Recovery drink has a small amount of creatine which works with the whey protein to help repair the muscles :o)

If you are working out before bed and are worried about carbs then I would suggest whey protein.

Do you have a coach? Look me up.

www.beachbodycoach.com/heatherbroyles
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response!

However, they cannot be substituted for each other. That is why I am asking the question of which would be better for what I am trying to achieve.

The recovery drink has: 220 calories, 39g carbs, 2g fat, 10g protein, 0 fiber and 36g of sugar

where as the whey protein shake I usually drink with almond milk has:

180 calories, 12g carbs, 5g fat, 21g protein, 1g fiber and 9g of sugar.

So the ratio to carbs and protein is quite a bit different between the two and I need to know which is better for me to gain muscle at this point.

Thanks again, and I too love Neil Patrick ~ How I met your mother is the best show!

LOL sorry there, should have re-worded my response that protein + milk is not a direct substitute for the drink due to a much lower sugar content.

However, chocolate milk comes darn close to the 4:1 ratio and has a very similar sugar content.
  • dragonfly74
    Options
    Thanks so much to all of you for your responses.

ghanie ~ thanks so much for the ideas! That way I can switch it up as I see fit for each day.

Barney ~ Thank you so much. That is a great idea! I don't think I read your original post the way I should have. I have purchased the whey protein for me (and will add some chocolate on some days) and I purchased the recovery drink for my husband (he doesn't really care for the whey protein drink).

MstngSammy ~ thanks! I do have a coach and have been using the products for 10 + years. I love BB!

Thank you all again for your suggestions!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Protein with chocolate sounds good. Lately I've been using tang with protein powder and a pack of emergen-C.

Hubby decided to try chocolate milk before and after his workout and he said it helped a lot. So I think I'm going back to chocolate milk for a while.
  • divyagrad13
    Options
    I use the gatorade g series recovery drink or Pure Protein`s whey protein. dont waist ur money buying all that advertisement drinks.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Or food?
    What nutrients are you after specifically? - if it's protein you could eat food and get it that way.
    If its carbs and protein, chocolate milk has carbs and protein and is cheap as chips - and if you make your own you can control the amount of sugar in it.

(Can you tell that I'm a bit skeptical about the supplement industry?)
  • NateDad
    NateDad Posts: 55
    Options
    I'm doing P90X... I'm with Ruby - I think the drinks and supplements and all that are just a money grab. There's absolutely no reason why you can't eat real food and still get everything you need. Have a yogurt and a glass of orange juice after a workout - real food, some carbs, good whey protein and it tastes great. If you really want a shake, mix some greek yogurt, skim milk, and some frozen fruit in the blender. Real food for your real body. There's absolutely no need to add high fructose corn syrup or other refined sugars to milk to get carbs.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I use the gatorade g series recovery drink or Pure Protein`s whey protein. dont waist ur money buying all that advertisement drinks.

Epic nearly 2 year bump