SPRAINED ANKLE- HOW TO BURN CALS?

Options
I fell and badly sprained my ankle several weeks ago & have been signed off work since. I am normally active, with an active job, but for weeks I have been stuck at home with my foot elevated. I am used to eating what I like but as I am not active I feel the weight is piling on & I don't know where to start with exercising... normally I'd go to the gym, do astanga yoga or dance but all put too much strain on my weak ankle.

I am curbing my calorie intake but I'd like to exercise as well....

Any recommendations for cardio exercises that will help me burn cals without putting strain on my ankle??

Replies

• FaerieCae
    FaerieCae Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Sit on the edge of a chair and shadow box, with weights, if you have any, at intervals.

Lie on your back and do scissor legs, bicycle legs.

Do girly push ups, or girly travelling push ups.

Go down on all fours with weights and do dumbbell rows and leg raises alternating sides.

Thats all I can think of for now, hope its useful.
  • mrsblu
    mrsblu Posts: 5
    Options
    that's great!
    thanks, I'm off to find some weights now.... might use some cans of beans
  • kellster111
    kellster111 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    If you google seated exercises there should be a variety you can find. just remember every little helps.
  • Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I was able to swim with a sprained ankle by just using the arm action. To remind myself I clasped a kick board between my knees.
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    Does your gym have a rowing machine? :)
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    DON'T EAT THEM IF YOU CANT BURN THEM!!!!
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    DON'T EAT THEM IF YOU CANT BURN THEM!!!!

this............................ times 400,983,000,001
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    When my son was 10 years old, playing Pop Warner Football, he sprained both ankles so badly that if he took his shoes off he could not get them back on. His doctor told us that if he could stand the pain he could go to school and continue football practice but wearing hi-top football shoes instead of the low-top he had to have, every day without doing harm to his feet. He spent every night after school then practice with his feet in a 5 gallon bucket of ice-water. I stuck my feet in that bucket to see what it felt like. He had to really want to play football to endure the pain of that ice! By morning the swelling was down enough to get neoprene ankle wraps over his socks and into his boots. He finished the whole season and did well. Through 13 more years of football, he never had an ankle problem. So, Just how bad do you want it?
  • mkkhoza
    mkkhoza Posts: 79
    Options
    i just sprained both ankles last friday and I was wondering what i was going to do as well. One person suggested the rowing machine...i would recommend that as well. I tape both of my ankles really well just to protect them and I am able to do rowing just fine, no pull on my ankle. I don't know how much pain standing is for you but for me i only have pain if i try running or jumping so I can stand to do a dumbell workout but usually i do it on an excercise ball anyways or seated.
    I literally feel your pain...please take care :)
  • mrsblu
    mrsblu Posts: 5
    Options
    wow, that boy is hard core!! you must be very proud!
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I hurt my ankle really badly yesterday playing basketball. I went to the gym right after and limped around real bad doing upper body. ger r' done.