massive plateau - PLEASE HELP.

Options
Hi Everyone,

I’ve been on MFP religiously since Sept 2012.

Can’t seem to get below my current weight and it is very frustrating.

I started at 182 pounds and I’m currently at 158 pounds.

Anyone got any ideas/suggestions to help me shift?

My diary is viewable so please have a look and if you have any suggestions I’d appreciate it.

I was a keen gym goer until 1 month ago when my gym decided to put up prices to a ridiculous amount but i’ve just found a new one and I’m joining after payday next week.

I pre-log most of my days so that I rarely go over my goals.

Really getting me down now :(

Replies

• jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary. I'm happy to take a look if you open it :)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at your current weight? What is your calorie goal and your macro goals? What exercise do you do regularly?
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    without seeing you diary makes it harder

however

change up your food, eg if you have the same breakfast, lunch and snacks, change it up and choose somthing different if you don't do this , id still change it up.

I've heard people say switching up your cals eg 1400cal one day 1650 the next, of course with out seeing your diary i don't know your cals or what you eat.

change up your exercrise, if you walk at the same speed or so the classes week in week out, do a few diff classes, or for walking walk faster to the next letter post, then normal speed to the next fast and so on.

if you go to the gym mix up what you are doing, get a personal trainer, or start a new sport. I've done karate for 16 years week in week out, I still do karate twice a week plus i've added in twice a week cardo session, twice a week weight session and twice a week personal traning sessing plus orienteering, some days I go to the gym twice a day.

good luck let me know how you get on
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not viewable to all.. unable to help without seeing your diary, sorry
  • samanthawardle31
    samanthawardle31 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I also seem to have reached a plateau after 15lbs loss despite keeping within my allownace and exercising. Have you tried measuring yourself? I hadnt lost weight but had lost an inch from my neck/waist/hips after 3 weeks which has given me a boost. Still would like to keep losing though!
  • carlayyy2308
    carlayyy2308 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    sorry its viewable now lol xx
  • carlayyy2308
    carlayyy2308 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    OK thanks for some advice – however in terms of food – I do eat a variance of foods but for breakfast, I would rather stick with my porridge with water, it’s the only thing low in sugar which keeps me full and every other cereal which I’ve tried (Weetabix) is still quite high in sugar. Sometimes I have protein and sometimes toast.

I have been at 158 for about a month now….

I measure too – I’ve lost inches without losing weight but its hard not to see weightloss too.

I run 3-4 times a week except for this week as I’m in the process of moving house.

I guess I need to ‘shock’ my body out of its routine.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    You are barely eating 1200 calories most days, and you are not eating all your exercise calories back.

Unless you are 5ft tall and do absolutely nothing all day, you should up your calories. Either eat a suitable amount (at least your BMR PLUS ALL exercise calories) or do the TDEE minus 20% thing and don't eat your exercise calories.

In addition, I dont see any running in your exercise for the last 2-3 weeks. If you are running, log it and eat the calories back.

1200 calories is not enough. Recalculate your numbers. And aim to lose max half a pound a week.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    You might want to try increasing your calories, especially if you are going to join the gym and continue running. Give it a few weeks and see if it helps.
  • SleeplessinBerlin
    SleeplessinBerlin Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    You are losing inches you said. Why worry about the number on the scale then? If you can wear a smaller size, who cares what you weigh?
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Try adding some strength training to your exercise routine.
  • kathiewoods3
    kathiewoods3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was on a plateau for 10 weeks and it was very frustrating but I did not give up just changed my excercise a little and eating a little I am on another plateau now but I feel I am coming off it and it should take me to my goal weight. just keep at it your body will ajust and you will begin to lose again
  • KevinMassine
    Options
    I also seem to have reached a plateau after 15lbs loss despite keeping within my allownace and exercising. Have you tried measuring yourself? I hadnt lost weight but had lost an inch from my neck/waist/hips after 3 weeks which has given me a boost. Still would like to keep losing though!
    Its always a very good Idea to re-calculate your BMR and your TDEE after a loss of 5lb. As you drop weight your body changes and so does your calorie intake

Best of luck !
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating more. Also when you don't go tot he gym get you a exercise DVD for home. Take baby steps with increasing your calories. Try only increasing by 100 more calories a day and stay at that level for 2 weeks and see what happens. You need to make sure you do reach the calorie goals you set though. It's not a huge deal if you had 50 more and you didn't eat those but when you have a few hundred more it mattters especially since your eating so low
  • toots12
    toots12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary I'd go with less carbs and more lean protein....try and get those numbers so that you have no more than 100 carbs and a protein reading 70-80. You don't want to "overfuel" your body with excess carbs otherwise the excess carbs will turn into stored fat. Good luck. For the record - I feel your plateau pain...fingers crossed for some positive shifts for both of us in the fortnight.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Looks like some vegetables and healthy starches might help...and water!
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I also had this issue. Some very smart people on this website suggested to me to eat at my TDEE for a few weeks then after that eat at -20% TDEE and it worked out just fine. give it a go
  • michaelrburdett
    Options
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I've been hanging at the same weight since February. Is it frustrating? Hell yes!! BUT, something is happening because I'm down lots of inches.

Give it time, make sure you're nourishing your body. It will come!!
  • jewelinlotus
    jewelinlotus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

it looks like you are eating lots of carbs and pre-packaged foods. If they are high in sodium, you could be retaining water. I would heartily suggest you add more green veggies, raw if possible, and lean proteins. I do very low fat and very low carbs (but don't count carbs) and it's really working for me, of course that's just me. So replace your snacks with veggies, or maybe plain air popped popcorn (even though it's a starch, it's super high in fiber, add a little fat free spray and teeny bit of salt or garlic or other spice) How about a low fat dairy and a fruit for breakfast too? Filling, nutritious, and if you go for strawberries or apple, high in fiber, plus you will get a sweet hit without using artificial sweeteners. Best wishes!