higher weight and less reps or lower weight and more reps?

Options
kennie2
kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
I want to build myself an *kitten*,
right now its pretty flat, I normally do 50-60 squats (in 2 sets) with i think a 15lb bar (it says 15 on it, idk if its kg or lb or if its 15 on each side or anything but its pretty heavy)
as well as other butt exercises like donkey kicks and bridges

Would it be better for me to do less reps and use a heavier bar or more reps with a lighter bar to get a nice *kitten*?
(im sorry if this has been asked before)

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Heavy and less than 12 reps. Really low reps and heavy weight is strength, medium reps like 8-12 for muscle size...i thinks.
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Cycle it about.

Do 6 weeks
    12reps x 3-4sets
    Take an easier week, say only 6reps x 3sets for HALF THE WEIGHTS
    8reps x 5sets
    Take an easier week, say only 6reps x 3sets for HALF THE WEIGHTS
    6reps x 6sets

The body adapts to what you give it. Hit all the weight and rep ranges but generally you want to go heavier. Most people will find better results going heavy in the 6reps x 5-6rep range.

Don't be scared as you won't look like a monster over night but you will have great legs and a butt.

Go as deep as you can and make sure your mobility is good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99s-hNbmHWs&list=UUtel2JGNEXTciKcsemCnXfw

Koing
  • amandacepstein
    amandacepstein Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I want to build myself an *kitten*,
    right now its pretty flat, I normally do 50-60 squats (in 2 sets) with i think a 15lb bar (it says 15 on it, idk if its kg or lb or if its 15 on each side or anything but its pretty heavy)
    as well as other butt exercises like donkey kicks and bridges

Would it be better for me to do less reps and use a heavier bar or more reps with a lighter bar to get a nice *kitten*?
    (im sorry if this has been asked before)
  • ssl444
    ssl444 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Low weight with lots of reps will just tone burn fat around your current muscle, if you want to sculpt and build up the muscle, do approx 3 sets with a heavy weight each set about 8 to 12 reps, the weight should be heavy enough where after your last rep on each set you can't manage another one.
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Low weight with lots of reps will just tone burn fat around your current muscle, if you want to sculpt and build up the muscle, do approx 3 sets with a heavy weight each set about 8 to 12 reps, the weight should be heavy enough where after your last rep on each set you can't manage another one.

There is such thing as *toning*. There is only building muscle. Doing exercise uses calories and thus burns calories. Doing heavy weight uses calories up as well.

Koing