How many calories should I be eating? Mental block...

Options
Ok I am REALLY confused folks... I have no idea how many calories to eat. Currently I am eating between 900-1300 (I KNOW, I know!), but my TDEE is 2249.
There is this mental block in my head that tells me anything over 1200 is overeating and I'm fine if I eat just under 1000 calories. It is not healthy, but I don't want my metabolism to 'stall' or whatnot.
I work out 4-5 days a week (both cardio and weights). At least two days of full cardio and two days of mixed cardio and weights (weights being squats, lunges, bench press etc. Mainly free weights, with SOME machines used e.g. a triceps machine).
Anyone have this 'mental block' problem? I apologise if this question has been asked before, but it really is confusing me.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sometimes its a struggle to ONLY eat 2000 cals a day....
  • Humbugsftw
    Humbugsftw Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    How do you get around it?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just eat.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Neha - food isn't your enemy!
    It can't magically make you fat unless you have a surplus of calories day after day, week after week....
    Think of food as your fuel for life, for doing all the things you want and need to do. You need it for nutrition and for energy.

I wonder how many thousands of calories per day someone like Jessica Ennis eats? And she manages to look drop dead gorgeous doesn't she?

You don't have much weight to lose and you have youth on your side - a SMALL calorie deficit, a good exercise routine and a little patience will work wonders.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    How do you get around it?
    Honestly, just eat more. Your idea that anything above 1200 calories will make you gain weight is wrong. I suspect you're not going to really believe that until you do it, so you're going to have to just take the plunge and do it. Increase by a couple of hundred a week. Be aware that you might have a bit of weight fluctuation from water weight, and more food in your system. Let that settle and increase a little again.
  • Humbugsftw
    Options
    Cheers folks. I know this mindset is screwed up and irrational. I'll try to eat 1500 calories at least a day, and see how that goes. Maybe up it to 1700 if I feel comfortable.

I don't even know how this came about, it is quite worrying actually. When I first started out (last year) I was only eating 800 calories a day and doing 2 hours of cardio a day. I lost weight, but then switched to keto and lost more. The minute I got off keto, I gained it all back. Stupid me. Then I took a break for a month and a bit to sort my exam and uni work out, and here I am again.

Guess I should tell myself it is NOT a quick fix and that it is a lifestyle change. Lifestyle changes do not involve eating only 1200 calories (or less) every day for the rest of your life whilst working out as well..
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I upped my calorie goal from 1200 to 1500 and find that I am now actually losing weight and I am not constantly feeling hungry or deprived. I would admit tho, that I have a real overwhelming feeling that anything over 1200 is a bad day – I am actively trying to get over it! When I am training, especially weight training I know that my body needs food………. My sister is doing a strange starvation type diet at the moment and looks terrible - dont want to be like her! Fit and strong for this girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Humbugsftw
    Options
    I upped my calorie goal from 1200 to 1500 and find that I am now actually losing weight and I am not constantly feeling hungry or deprived. I would admit tho, that I have a real overwhelming feeling that anything over 1200 is a bad day – I am actively trying to get over it! When I am training, especially weight training I know that my body needs food………. My sister is doing a strange starvation type diet at the moment and looks terrible - dont want to be like her! Fit and strong for this girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting. I don't know why that is the case. At least I have lost 2lbs in a week but from what I understand, that is not healthy. It'll take me a good 8-10 months to get my goal weight (between 100-110lbs) but if this means eating more, I will do it.
  • Lauri524
    Lauri524 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I wonder if this is my problem. I'm eating 1200 calories per day and hardly losing. Honestly, I've been at this for over 2 months, working out diligently at least 5 times/week at the gym, hiking, (cardio and circuit training) and have only taken off maybe 3-4 pounds. Seriously? I'm so scared to increase the calorie intake!
  • RawMomma10
    RawMomma10 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If I am understanding right.. you want to base your number between your BMR and your TDEE numbers..... for example.. my bmr is 1444 and my tdee is 2239 but my goal is set at 1500 a day... I DID do 2000 a day for about 3 weeks and I gained 5 lbs back.... so I took it to 1600 and wasnt really seeing a difference. I do weights 3 days a week and cardio 5 days a week...... Im now at 1500 to see if that makes a difference... I will do this for 2-3 weeks which seems to be how long it takes for my body to adjust to the differences in my intake.... at the end of this trial... if Im still not seeing the results I want then I will adjust again... :)

My point is theres lots of room to play with to find the correct number for you..... it has to be more than your bmr..... but depending on your goals (maintain current weight, bulk up, cut) will decide the specific number you should go with.... but it WILL be OVER your BMR and UNDER your TDEE numbers.... :) Hope that made sense....

I know its hard.. believe me you... eating 2000 on purpose was hard!! If I wasnt counting.. no problem.. but to be actually counting and watching what I was eating... oye..... but I did it!!! :) ANd you can do it too!!!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I wonder if this is my problem. I'm eating 1200 calories per day and hardly losing. Honestly, I've been at this for over 2 months, working out diligently at least 5 times/week at the gym, hiking, (cardio and circuit training) and have only taken off maybe 3-4 pounds. Seriously? I'm so scared to increase the calorie intake!
    But why be scared? MFP is not recommending that you eat 1200 calories with all that exercise.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different...however, I'm positive 800-1200 calories is beneficial to no one.

My former intake of 1300 did me no good...I now am getting about 1800 a daily (up to 2200 if I do kickboxing on top of my weight lifting). Of course, the quality of food I'm eating is also vastly different than before

I've maintained 98 pounds for quite a while...which means I'm living proof that above 1200 calories will not make you gain, with the proper exercise and nutrition.