Vegetarian needs suggestions, how it increase protein

Options
2»

Replies

• alichristiana
    alichristiana Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions(and defense)everybody, it looks like I should (obviously) cut down on the cookies, try to convince a certain other person to stop buying them for me, and try to incorporate some beans into my salads. :)
  • HikeThatMountain
    Options
    Alll the ideas everyone has given you are great! and if you go to some recipe sites, its really easy to find recipes that will fit your taste. This one is from "EatingWell" For Squash, Chickpea and Red Lentil Stew) which is 294 calories per serving, with 14 g protein. good luck!

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/squash_chickpea_red_lentil_stew.html
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You want to increase your protein simple answer have a steak.

We humans evolved with K9 teeth for a reason and it is not for eating tofu

Why does there always have to be someone trying force their "do as a I do" crap instead of answering the question?
  • LillyBoots
    LillyBoots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest taking Spiralina or Vital Greens daily
  • TheNavet
    TheNavet Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Maybe try black beans? There are 9g of protein for 100g and ~130 cals!
  • alichristiana
    Options
    I guess they somehow think that the act of being vegetarian means that the person is against mankind as a whole eating meat. It makes them feel threatened.
    Odd, as I have no problem with the act of eating meat, my moral stance is to do with its production.
    Also, some people are just petty trolls with nothing better to do :p

That recipie looks interesting, I might try it sometime :D

Also I've tried the green stuff before, I should get some more. I think it's good for iron too?
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I guess they somehow think that the act of being vegetarian means that the person is against mankind as a whole eating meat. It makes them feel threatened.
    Odd, as I have no problem with the act of eating meat, my moral stance is to do with its production.
    Also, some people are just petty trolls with nothing better to do :p

That recipient looks interesting, I might try it sometime :D

I completely agree that most large scale commercial meat production in the US is ethically objectionable. However, there are some sources of meat that can be ethically obtained. Of course, whatever you chose is your choice and I'm not trying to change your mind.

That being said: I second the eggs suggestion.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options

Yes are teeth can really rip through that cow well as long as we use man-made materials to cut it up and then only choose certain parts to eat and then cook it.

If you wanted to you can find in nature sharp stones to cut up beef, it may take awhile but it can be done. As for cooking meat you do not need to cook it ever hear of Carpaccio and steak tartare. As for only eating certain parts of a critter you do not eat a entire potato plant because some parts of that plant will kill you.

Other animals that eat meat just use what they were born with but we go man made? Surely that just means that we don't need to eat meat. I am fully aware of steak tartare and carpaccio, one is minced the other is very thinly sliced.

People have a right to choose what they want to eat, if for ethical reasons they are a vegetarian who are you to attack them for that? Just don't expect to leave comments without someone challenging you.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options

Why does there always have to be someone trying force their "do as a I do" crap instead of answering the question?
    Good question.

The vegans started it!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Something I learned. Still have to verify.
    Cantaloupe seeds have more protein per ounce than beef.
    So if you make a fruit smoothie with this melon, don't throw away the seeds. Just make sure you are using a powerful blender like the Vita-Mix. It will pulverize the seeds. An ordinary blender will not.

Another little fact. Apple seeds are good for you too. B complex vitamins and a trace of arsenic that is actually beneficial to the immune system.
  • alichristiana
    Options
    I can say that the majority of the vegans and vegetarians you will meet are not the ones who "started it" so that is a ridiculous reason for attacking a person based on their dietary choices.
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    Greek yogurt is your breakfast friend! Can also be subbed for sour cream on tacos & things.
  • alichristiana
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone! I'm trying out your suggestions and seeing an improvement already!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm trying to increase my protein intake and I think I'm doing ok for lunches where i have found a product range that is easy to cook quickly and is a good, low fat source of protein and fiber but I need suggestions for dinners, when I eat with my fiancée. Normally we have something pasta/rice/salad based but I would like to know how I can increase the protein in mine. I also find that even when I don't eat junk I eat too much sugar just from fruit and veg,according to the app. Should this concern me?
    I'm not a fan of meat replacement products, needing to be in the mood (or having sunday dinner cooked by his mum)to eat them.

Thank you!
    If you want any more information my diary is set to public.

I was a vegetarian for 10 years for health reasons and for the animals and have gone off of it for some reason in the last year or so.

Some vegetarian protein sources are

Meat substitutes
    Seitan- I make this myself it is very easy
    Soy beans
    Tofu
    Soy milk
    Quinoa ( love it)
    beans
    Tempeh
    I guess you eat eggs and dairy as well
    Greens have a lot of protein, you can juice it, or put it in green smoothies, salads, and cooked
    Protein shakes and bars
    Nut butters
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    These are good tips, do you think any particular nuts or seeds would be a good idea for adding in? There isn't much tofu product available where I live. :)

I live in a very rural area and they still have the actual tofu. Look around and ask at your local stores to see if they have it. They might get it if you ask. You could also make it yourself if you get a tofu maker ( easy) or actually make it the old fashioned way.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, beans, quinoa, tofu, protein powder (by boyfriend made me cookies with protein powder mixed in.)
  • mrsartis1
    mrsartis1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    HUMMUS (make it your own, you can use any beans)
    LENTILS ( imake lentil soup and tofu, or lentils and rice with the rice cooker)
    PROTEIN SHAKE ( I do not use this often, but there are vegan or vegetarian protein shake)
    SPIRULINA
    CHIA SEEDS
    Nut butters
    ALmond Milk
    VEggie burgers
  • maryssadupre
    Options
    nuts (peanuts, walnuts, almonds) and dairy products. Watch out because the fat count can go soaring with them.