Kettlebell virgin

Options
So because everyone says I need to do weights as well as cardio to avoid being 'skinnyfat' I thought I'd better go and get myself some dumbells to workout at home (not ready to face a gym yet).

My local store ran out of every dumbell going. But had a couple of kettlebells. I had never heard of a kettlebell in my life, and they looked a little simple. Wasn't sure if they'd be any use but I bought an 8kg kettlebell.

The woman said it was too heavy to put in a carrier bag so I carried the box in my arms and continued shopping thinking it would be ok. 5 minutes later my arms are in agony and I felt so much tension in my pectorials. Those things are powerful!

So I'm looking forward to seeing how I can incorporate this new piece of equipment into my fitness regime.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Ha ha!

I'm going to my first kettlebell class next Tuesday, interested to see how it'll be!
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I swear that kettlebells saved my arms from bingo wing hell! I started using them pretty early on in my weight loss to combat loose skin, and they certainly helped :)

They're a great mix of cardio and strength training, too - your heart really gets pumping.

Enjoy; I find them especially good for core strength, and they're really versatile too.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have a 10kg kettlebell but I've kinda stopped using it now I go to the gym.

Your HR can get quite high, and like the others said it's goof for cardio and strength.

Couple I do:

Squats with the kettlebell in the middle holding with two hands
    Double-armed lifts
    Swings from a squat, to up, back down, repeat.

You can find videos online etc and workouts to do :)
  • SupernovaLeon
    Options
    Sounds like I picked the right product since I love my cardio and just needed a form of strength training added to my routines. :)
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Would love to hear more responses on how to get started with proper form and everything. My gym actually has loads of ketllebells and I've always wanted to try them, but I don't like bothering other people and I don't want to set up an appointment with a trainer just so they can tell me how to use a kettlebell! lol
  • SupernovaLeon
    Options
    Would love to hear more responses on how to get started with proper form and everything. My gym actually has loads of ketllebells and I've always wanted to try them, but I don't like bothering other people and I don't want to set up an appointment with a trainer just so they can tell me how to use a kettlebell! lol
    Have you checked YouTube for some demonstrations?
  • ChemicalWolf
    Options
    Little tip: do the warm up.
    Probably you already do, but I decided that skipping for once wouldn't have hurt. Well, I was very very wrong, and today instead of a spine I have mashed potatoes. :(
    For the rest is really good exercise. Check video tutorials, they are really helpful, and you will be able to do tons of exercise. It's good for variation too.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    In several ways they can be used like a barbell or dumbbell. YouTube has tons of tutorials about how to make kettlebell work efficient.
  • marc_s_johnson
    marc_s_johnson Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've recently started doing them and it does burn a lot of calories while making my all round shape firmer.

I bought a Bob Harper DVD which is a good way to do it as opposed to thinking what to do with it with regards to routines.
  • SupernovaLeon
    Options
    Are you all using just the one weight or a variety of different weighted kettlebells?

And what's the warm like? I'll have to find a tutorial.
  • marc_s_johnson
    marc_s_johnson Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Just one 12KG one.
  • jbkettlebell
    Options
    Kettlebells are definitely my #1 go to tool for training. There's a lot of information, and misinformation, out there about kettlebell training. If you are interested in picking out some kettlebell programs and are interested in learning the proper mechanics, check out my review site, jbkettlebelltraining.com. I have personally tested all of the programs reviewed on the site and give them a thumbs up.

Welcome to the kettlebell community!!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    There's KB training on fitness blender on you tube.
  • Sid1988
    Sid1988 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I went to my first Kettlebell class yesterday and i can safely say i am feeling it today. The class was tough but i felt so good afterwards, i started with 8kg but pushed myself and ended with 12kg. There were people who have been going to the class for months and said the difference it's made is amazing. i will definitely be doing this class every week.
  • SupernovaLeon
    Options
    There's KB training on fitness blender on you tube.
    I'll check it out thanks :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    this work out has three of the staples of the kettlebell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRpbM9nzDcM

the swing, the snatch, and the clean and press.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    kettlebell swings (russian style first, then american), kettlebell overhead squat (one arm), one arm overhead walking lunges, goblet squats, kettlebell push press, kettlebell snatch, kettlebell clean, kettlebell step-ups. lots of exercises, both one armed and two armed. youtube has LOTS of videos
  • CCNYE63
    CCNYE63 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have Jillians "Shred it with Weights" which recommends using a kettlebell (I use a 10lb-er). I love this DVD, and lost 10 lbs and several inches in 2 months with it. My kettlebell came with a little instruction book on various exercise, which was good, but I like how Jillian puts her workouts together.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I have Jillians "Shred it with Weights" which recommends using a kettlebell (I use a 10lb-er). I love this DVD, and lost 10 lbs and several inches in 2 months with it. My kettlebell came with a little instruction book on various exercise, which was good, but I like how Jillian puts her workouts together.

That's two strikes:

1. Jillian's Shred It With Weights DVD has been highly criticized because the form she pushes is VERY bad and will get you hurt as you move up to heavier weights. VERY bad form.

2. 10 lbs is far too light when doing conventional kettlebell exercises because when you work with a kettlebell you need to ensure certain stabilizer muscles engage, which will only happen when working with a heavy enough weight. The RKC recommends beginning women start with an 8kg (approx. 18lb) kettlebell MINIMUM. Using less than that will prevent key muscle groups from engaging which makes proper form during many exercises impossible.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I really like the Michelle Khai Kettlenetics Dvd's they give you a good total body workout with both cardio and the weight in it but its all smooth moves not alot of jumping and that kinda thing it will most definently get your heart rate up though.Its a good total body workout . If you get her kettlenetics dvd on amazon they are pretty cheap. They also come with a free introductory kettlebell and it explains all the excercises very very clearly. It starts you with a lighter bell than you have but once you get the excercises down you can always increase the kettlebell weight up. I love that one I have noticed alot of difference in my abs with that one and what I like about it is that it helps with the lower abs and that's a hard area to lose the weight off of. :)