The worst meal I ever had was...

Options

Replies

• Amy106Days
    Amy106Days Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I once found a recipe for a casserole that combined shrimp, angel hair pasta, salsa and lots of fresh veggies and expensive spices. I looked forward to it all week and dropped a bit of $ on the spices. I followed the recipe to the letter and though it looked beautiful the whole thing had a very stomach bile flavor :/. My husband said after his first bite..."I have a pretty good idea how this would taste coming back up" . Ended up having PBJ sandwiches instead.
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    When I was 12 my Mom got our first microwave. It came with a book saying you could cook anything in it. My mom cooked a chicken in it....just no.

LOL. I inherited a ton of cookbooks from my husband's grandmother and there was about 4 of them that was recipes for cooking chickens and roast in the microwave. Just the thought... *gag*
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    My worst meal was probably the time I was out of crackers and making meatloaf. Tried substituting Cool Ranch Doritos and my husband still gives me crap about that one.....15 years later.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    The piece of cheese I found when I cleaned behind the cooker.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    liver and brussel sprouts.

the only thing that could have made it worse would have been black licorice for dessert.

mr-yuk.gif
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    The McRib.

As Sam Kinison once said, McDonald's decided to put *kitten* on bread and call it a sandwich.

The gastrointestinal distress that followed was not pleasant either.
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Miracle noodles. Just couldn't choke them down. They have a very weird texture.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options

the only thing that could have made it worse would have been black licorice for dessert.

That actually sounds like a delicious meal to me!

TVP as a vegetarian then vegan youth definitely was the sign to get back to my carnivorous ways. It's not natural.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

That actually sounds like a delicious meal to me!

TVP as a vegetarian then vegan youth definitely was the sign to get back to my carnivorous ways. It's not natural.

is it bad im vegan but have no idea what TVP is? i live in africa thou and i don't eat any substitutes ...
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I should also add that I'm in the military so I've been subjected to all manner of DFAC food both overseas and CONUS, MREs and everything in between.

Powdered 'eggs' heated up in an MRE? No.

Ever had American 'comfort food' cooked up my contract workers from Kurdistan while in Afghanistan or Iraq? Not awesome.

Mystery meat of all sizes, shapes and colors... usually coated in some sort of sauce.

Salmon, crab legs and other seafood frozen and shipped in via convoy from God knows where. I advise you stay away from the lobster on holidays. More people than I can count have suffered Montezuma's revenge after consuming the food on "surf and turf" nights, and if there is one place you don't want to be sick it's in a deployed environment.

STILL - The sweet potato tots were somehow worse.

When my husband came back from Iraq, he told me the horrors of the food from over there. I know he had a little umm... 'mishap' on a convoy bc the food messed w/ his stomach something terrible. That convoy was a loong trip, too. Felt so bad for him!
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    my fiance prepared dinner for me while on dr ordered rest...i asked him for simple ramen noodles (just noodles and the packaged seasoning) and he brings me ramen noodles with a gang of cheese melted on it and chopped up sausage--i thought i was going to vomit. He meant well but i wld hv to say that by far is the WORST meal I have EVER had :(:(:(
  • Tme2change
    Tme2change Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Fish tacos....(I made terrible fish tacos)
    I also had a fish fajita platter at a diner, it tasted funny took 3 bites got food posioning for 4 days from 3 bites of food. The place closed down 2 weeks later.
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    This is a great post to read if you are hungry....takes the appetite right away! :laugh:
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i'm sorry to my Serbian family, but every single big family dinner. Everything made with tons of meat!! meat stuffed with meat with meat on top. Beef, lamb, pork.
    And i am a chicken breast and fish person.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    When I was 12 my Mom got our first microwave. It came with a book saying you could cook anything in it. My mom cooked a chicken in it....just no.

My husband has a GREAT story about one thanksgiving in the late 80s where the TURKEY was cooked in a microwave. :laugh:

As for me,, I had some pretty funky food court sushi once. The rice was still warm and wasn't proper sticky rice and the fish was I think sitting out for the better part of the day. Worst thing I've ever put in my mouth.
  • CindyMarie_
    CindyMarie_ Posts: 122 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options

A co-worker of mine will cook pork, chicken, or beef in the microwave at work.. all look the same when done and doesn't smell very pleasant. :ohwell:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I think it was when i tried to make a vegan pizza. I made vegan pizza dough, my own pasta sauce with the immersian blender, topped with "Daiya" cheese.

It looked so pretty... i was so happy with myself...

and then i tried it.

threw the whole thing away.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Liver and onions

This
  • lizbess1
    lizbess1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    lunch that we tried at a place called 5 guys, the meal actually came out in a bag that was dripping with grease, the burgers were well done and all the juice had dripped out onto/into the bun and veggies, and the fries were so soggy from the grease that you could not even eat them. Needless to say we have never gone back again and tell all of our friends to stay away from that place but we have a few that actually like it