Calorie Counting, Calory Cycling, and Intermittent Fasting

Options
This has to be my biggest concern when attempting to reboot to a healthier and more aware lifestyle. I have a weak stomach lining thanks to GERD, a hiatal hernia, and an old infection of H Pylori. I already have a handicap on metabolizing nutrients as it is. For this reason it is difficult for me to digest food.

At the same time, I want to make sure I'm getting in enough calories to burn for energy. I don't want my body /storing/ fat or sugars for later use. One of this site's biggest benefits is the calorie counter included in your food diary. More times than not, I've found myself .b.e.l.o.w. my calorie requirement. How is this going to affect my gains and losses?

I have experimented with supplements, digestive enzymes, probiotics, and various diets to achieve optimal digestion and nutritional benefits but nothing has seemed to work. Now I'm trying to change the WAY I eat. Does anyone here have any experience with any type of calorie cycling? If so - what advice or personal story can you share with me that might be beneficial to the community to hear?

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I'd be taking advice from my doctor or dietitian with the issues you have in terms of what to eat and how much.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    WRT calorie cycling ie eating a different amount of calories every day, I don't see the problem as long as the daily average over a week isn't much lower than it would be if you were to eat at a mild calorie deficit for sustained weight loss. I'm practising calorie cycling so I eat more on lifting days - I'm gaining muscle with no noticeable increase in fat storage; it's much slower apparently for gaining muscle or losing weight but I prefer it and can stick with it.
  • Nonymou
    Nonymou Posts: 8
    Options
    I have a referral in with a dietician, haven't heard back yet. Seeing my doctor once per week now.
  • Nonymou
    Nonymou Posts: 8
    Options
    I also seem to eat less when I run than when I have rest days - is there a difference??
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I don't do the calorie cycling but I do have a suggestion for you to try for your GERD. Try taking the B-12 vitamin 1000mg a day and see if that doesn't improve your symptoms. I used to have so digestive problems but every since I was diagnosed with a B-12 difficency I noticed I don't have to run to the bathroom any more and hardly ever get heartburn anymore also, I can tell you this was the best thing I could have ever done and wished I had known it sooner. They only cost you around $5 a bottle
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    I also seem to eat less when I run than when I have rest days - is there a difference??

That's unusual. Normally, people are famished after exercise. :-D

If you can eat, even if you don't want to then I say eat. I know people say to listen to your body but the reason we're all here is because we listened to our bodies!

Take today, for instance, I'm about 500 calories under my target so I'll eat a spoon of PB or two to make up for it.