Pilates- Question (no laughing)

Options
Hi all!
I am a total beginner at all this fitness stuff! So be gentle with me and use laymans terms please!
I have never ever in my whole entire adult life taken part in any form of group exercise (unless shaking your Jazz hands on the dance floor can be considered in that category!!), but I have enrolled myself for classes in pilates and yoga at my local gym, starting this Friday evening! Which by my standards it pretty momentous, as I usually spend my Friday evenings quaffing wine and gorging on unhealthy foods!
So I am pretty psyched for this Friday! However being me (panicky penelope) I have realised I have no flipping idea what the hell you wear at such events! And do you take your own mat! Do you wear trainers? Or special footwear!
If anyone wold be kind enough to give some pointers on Pilates etiquette and dress code, so I don't look like a total numptey come Friday, I will be so grateful!
Emma xxx

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've never taken a class, but every pilates & yoga DVD I've ever seen (quite a few) the instructors are barefoot. If you have a mat, definitely bring it. People have sweaty hands, dirty feet, etc. ..... your own mat is more hygienic if nothing else.

Wear something that is comfortable. Sweats and a T-shirt should be fine.
  • dnish53
    dnish53 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I love pilates. Wear something comfortable. Usually you take your shoes off in pilates.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Bring your own mat. Sometimes they have a couple to lend, but not always. I don't like to use other people's mats, it seems kind of gross.

I prefer wearing a sports bra and compression shorts with a loose tank over it. If it's really cold I'll wear yoga pants, but within three minutes of starting the workout you'll wish it were 15-20 degrees cooler.

Both are done in bare feet--good excuse for a pedicure. :)

Yoga is the very best low-impact workout in my opinion. It tones, it's aerobic--you'll work muscles you didn't know you had!
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a class, I do it at home barefoot and with yoga pants & a tank top. Whatever you wear, make sure your clothing allows you to move easily, but covers. For example, you don't want to be doing a move & give a peek show with the shorts you picked out. The guys will love it, no doubt, but.... :laugh:
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Wear comfortable clothing, but I agree with the sports bra and not a huge shirt. The first yoga class I went to I didn't realize how much bending over and my lose t-shirt kept fall up. It distracted me from doing the moves properly.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I do Pilates classes twice a week. I usually wear Nike capris, sports bra, and a tech shirt. I prefer longer shirts, so my stomach stays covered as much as possible. Most people in my classes wear capris, shorts, or yoga pants. Some wear regular t-shirts, some tech shirts. Just about everybody is barefoot.

I don't bring my own mat. My gym has plenty, and we all clean our mats afterwards. A few people bring yoga mats and put them over the thicker gym mats.