New Sneaker Help - I'm Totally Out Of My Element...

00trayn
00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm new to the working-out-on-a-regular-basis scene, and even more new to buying sneakers for such a purpose. I had an old, and by old I mean I've had them at least 4 years, pair of Saucony sneakers that I've been using to work out in for the past 3 months. They weren't great and my feet would be numb by time I finished my 45 min. elliptical workout. I have flat feet, so I really needed sneakers with much better arch support than these provided.

So, I bought new sneakers this weekend. They are the Ghost 2 shoe by Brooks and felt very comfortable in the store. I used them yesterday for a workout in my carpeted living room to test drive them and they were great... but...

Arch pain. I don't know if this is because the shoe isn't a good fit for me (the guy at the store suggested it when I informed him what my workouts entailed and that I had flat feet) or because my feet aren't used to having any reasonable arch support whatsoever. Does anyone have an input into this? Should I be considering a different shoe (these were $100 and I don't want to keep them if they'll hurt my arches) or is it just my foot adjusting to the new support in the shoe? Thanks for the help everyone!

Replies

• I bought some saucony's to start running in that were inexpensive with not as much arch support. I have flat feet too and I'm starting to regret that purchase b/c my knees are in SO much pain right now...I'm thinking of getting some gel inserts for them to support my low arch.
    I know what you mean about the arch support being painful though. I tried on numerous pairs of shoes recommended for the over-prominator. They ALL hurt like crazy b/c of the hard arch support that cut into my soles. I couldn't imagine trying to run in them.
    So hence why I bought ones with less support...hoping some rest and comfy soft gel inserts will help.
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    As it goes, I'm no expert. But I recently went and bought a new pair of trainers. They are Avia ones, Avia Cantilever Walking shoes. It took a good hour or so of trying on a number of different brands and types to find one that felt really nice. I broke them in doing a 5K and had zero pain afterwards so I was happy with my choice. If it was me and I was having pain continuously, I'd probably consider taking them back if thats possible and finding another type. :happy: However, it could be your foot adjusting, that's happened to me also in the past.
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Did the guy at the store actually size your feet and check to see what kind of shoes you really needed, or did you just tell him and he picked a set off a shelf? If you haven't had your feet looked at, definitely go do that! Many running specialty stores or brand specific stores would do that, and be able to get you into the right shoes for what you need. I would try to return the sneakers for now and tell them that they hurt too much to wear. It could be that your feet are adjusting, but to be safe, you might as well return and get a real expert opinion at a store! Hope this helps a little bit! good luck :)
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    My feet always hurt when I buy new shoes and I always buy the same brand and style. I'll rotate between the old and new until I break the new ones in. Takes me a few weeks to adjust.
  • I am a big promoter of buying my running shoes (same ones I work out in) from a running store, they take measurements and watch how I walk, etc. I am not sure if that was the type of store you were at but the ones I have bought from in the past actually offer exchanges within so many days and depending on the condition of the shoe if they are causing pain or any other problems. So check in to that, see if you have an option. I know Brooks is a great shoe but it's not for everyone.

In the June issue of Runners World, there is a big article in there regarding shoes, may be worth looking in to.
  • 00trayn
    I bought these shoes from Finish Line, which pretty much sells sneakers and workout gear exclusively. I wasn't sized or analyzed or anything before buying the shoe, the sales person just suggested a few and had me try them on. I haven't worn them on anything except a carpet and I'm gonna try them on the elliptical today, but they'll be in brand new condition if I decide to return them. I'm going to see if my 45 minute workout today goes well with them on, if not I'll return them.

Anyone know of good running stores to go to? I don't know of any names...
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    I agree with going to a running shoe store to get a gait analysis...they will watch you walk or run on a treadmill, have you stand on a gel that changes color based on where on your foot you place the most pressure, etc., and from the results point you in the direction of the best shoe for your feet and gait. You can also get custom insoles made for the shoes you already bought if you cannot return them so they aren't a waste of money if they are wrong for you. There are some pretty painful problems that can result from wearing the wrong shoes too long, or wearing the wrong shoes as you ramp up your exercise, so make sure to get it taken care of. Some good ones to visit for a gait analysis would be: Fleet Feet, Road Runner, Runner's Roost, Boulder Running Company (I don't know where you are from)....check the internet for some in your area.
  • 00trayn
    So update with the shoes:

I used them for 45 minutes on the elliptical today and no arch pain. I think I just laced up my shoes too tight yesterday. I need room to move around in them and these shoes are really supportive in the middle section. Lace them too tight and they're a bit much. Anyway, I did realized that I need some gel inserts or something for cushion. Certain parts of my feet were tingly by the end of the workout from the pressure. I think some gel inserts should help alleviate that. I'll be stopping by a sporting goods store probably Friday and I'll look to see what they have. I don't want to just get cheap ones from a drug store or something. I was running quality ones, preferably one tailored for my flat feet.

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm happy the shoe isn't causing me pain today, I really didn't want to have to return them. Some gel inserts and I'll be good to go.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    It's best to have your feed assessed and to get fitted for the proper shoes.
This discussion has been closed.