Is soy milk bad for you?

Options

Replies

• dianamatienzo
    Options
    As I'm sure you could already tell, it's controversial. I personally avoid it with moderation :) If you notice, many people shouldn't have soy because it does unbalance the hormones (for example my boyfriend's mom since she had breast cancer and is on certain treatments, but cancer isn't the only reason.) I prefer almond or coconut milk! I also avoid cow's milk with moderation
  • mtfr810
    mtfr810 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk only. I love my half and half for coffee and I stopped using that in December.
  • QuHeCTiC24
    QuHeCTiC24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So, as a lactose intolerant person, I LOVE soymilk. I will drink that stuff up, and I have been for at least 20 of the 21 years I've been alive. I've tried the alternatives (almond, rice, coconut) and they just don't measure up taste-wise or nutrient-wise to me.

FULL DISCLOSURE:
    Soy does contain phytoestrogens, which may throw your hormone balance out-of-whack if you're on the iffy side of balance. Perhaps coupled with birth control or other hormone therapies, you may see more negative long-term effects of soy. I just think it's silly to avoid it otherwise, though. Lavendar, yams, and sweet potatoes also contain phytoestrogens.
    Cows and nearly every other food product in the US are also pumped with Growth Hormone.

Now, if you want a politically "aware" type of soy, look for things that are locally made. Monsanto is essentially the devil. I'm aware of this. I'm also aware of the treatment most animals get before butchering, and I'm still an omnivore. Over-fishing is a huge problem as well, but I'll still eat the occasional Salmon or swordfish.

It all comes down to your priorities. People make a far bigger deal out of soy products than they should, since it's no better or worse for you in the long-run than nearly any other product. If you want the safest bet: moderation. Soy in itself is not '****', as some people on here so eloquently stated. Nor is it the highest standard of perfection.

Now, if nothing I or anyone else has said wins you over, you may want to look through a few scholarly articles (peer-reviewed, of course) to make an educated decision. I would accept nothing less than that simply because most websites like to be sensationalist about 'controversial' topics such as soy.

CHEERS!

word.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with soy. Soy milk has been around for centuries, mainly in asia. It is only recently been breaking into the american market which scares the hell out of dairy milk so dairy milk companies create propaganda. I dont believe women in asian countries are getting cancer from soy milk unless im missing something? FDA would have been all over it if any of the cancer causing milk was true.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    Red Meat Causes Cancer Research Says. I bet most people here who don't drink Soy still eats beef.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,952 Member
    Options
    Red Meat Causes Cancer Research Says. I bet most people here who don't drink Soy still eats beef.
    Let me guess.....your vegetarian, sorry no, vegan?
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options

No, all wrong. I eat beef because it taste good and I drink soy milk because it has a long shelf life. Been drinking Soy since i was a kid as I'm Asian and I've been eating beef since I was a kid as It taste good. By now, I should have some type of cancer. Time to get for my checkup?
  • jivitasa
    jivitasa Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Wow... people are so serious around here. To each their own. Personally I drink homemade almond milk, which is ridiculously easy to make and delicious. I personally do not like the taste of soy, my mother and grandmother had breast cancer and were advised to avoid soy, and to tell me and my sister to do the same, and soy is always GMO (I've yet to see any organic soy besides soy milk)... Regardless, for these reasons I choose other options for me personally.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,952 Member
    Options

No, all wrong. I eat beef because it taste good and I drink soy milk because it has a long shelf life. Been drinking Soy since i was a kid as I'm Asian and I've been eating beef since I was a kid as It taste good. By now, I should have some type of cancer. Time to get for my checkup?
    Gotcha.......Well, I don't consume soy, I do consume butter though, another tool of death.
  • nikky731
    nikky731 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    my mom also had breast cancer and was advised to stay away from soy.
    A year before she was diagnosed with breast cancer she started drinking soy milk.
    I stay away from anything that contains soy.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    The first three words made me stop reading.
  • thevegankelly
    thevegankelly Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't eat soy because my body can't tolerate it (nothing to do with hormones), but I don't think people need to avoid it. I drank and ate soy products for years and years before I realized I had to quit.

Here's some information from a dietician: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/soy_wth

That said, soy is in tons of products (ex. chocolate), not just soy milk. I bet most if not all of the people here saying it's bad are accidentally consuming it quite frequently.
  • CheyH92
    CheyH92 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Soy gives you cancer. dont drink it. or eat it.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I always get organic soy milk. Mostly because I'm passionately against GMOs & a lot of soy in the US is GMO.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Also most has carrageenan in it too, and that's also bad news.
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Wow... people are so serious around here. To each their own. Personally I drink homemade almond milk, which is ridiculously easy to make and delicious. I personally do not like the taste of soy, my mother and grandmother had breast cancer and were advised to avoid soy, and to tell me and my sister to do the same, and soy is always GMO (I've yet to see any organic soy besides soy milk)... Regardless, for these reasons I choose other options for me personally.

In Canada you can get Organic No GMO soy milk, I drink So Nice unsweetened and you can also get soyganic tofu http://www.sunrise-soya.com/soy-products/soyganic.php.

I know a lady that owns a health food store. Her Grandmother grew up on an organic soy farm and ate the stuff all the time and lived till 108 yrs. I'm sure in moderation soy is very safe. To each their own do your homework and what's right for you.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    If you're hypothyroid (as I am) keeping your soy intake at a minimum is suggested. I'm an almond milk girl. :smile:
  • LadyZephyr
    LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Soy milk is not bad for you. I'm lactose intolerant and have been drinking soy milk since I was a child, and it's done me no harm.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I eat everything and anything that fits my macros (including soy and beef). I feel great.
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I would not use if you have a history of breast cancer with cancer that was positive estrogen receptor, related to estrogen and soy. Same with edamane, which is soy based. However, like everything else......some say that it can be used if not in excess. Anything in excess is bad for you, so personal choice or MD recommendation.