Lost weight but still not happy with my arms

I'm 5'5" and started out weighing around 130 pounds. I didn't want to lose massively, just to get rid of the pesky muffin top I'd accumulated and tone up a little.

I'm down to a healthy 120 pounds after about 5 weeks of healthier eating, weight training, and exercise, and although I am loving my thighs, tummy, boobs, and bum, I'm still paranoid/self-conscious that my arms are too big for my frame and that they aren't toned at all in the triceps area.

The only time I've been happy with my arms was when I was around 110 pounds and INCREDIBLY unhealthy (terrible anxiety left me pretty much appetite-less). When I was that size I had no bum, no boobies, no shape, and I'd be really reluctant to lose anymore weight and sacrifice my curves for the sake of my arms.. :frown:

I know you cannot spot reduce and I've heard it's pointless to weight train without losing more fat, yet I've also heard that building muscle helps to actually burn fat..
But what do you guys think? Is it at all possible to improve the look of my arms without going stupidly skinny..? Or am I worrying over nothing?

93f95ce7-d741-49be-afab-e78cd0423f65_zpsb08bab54.jpg?t=1366903682

24thApril7_zps857a51e4.jpg?t=1366817633

Thanks in advance :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    To be honest, I had go back and reread your post multiple times because when I get to the pictures, I can't see what's wrong. I think that you have nothing to worry about really. The arms look fine to me.
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    I'm no expert, but you simply need to do more strength training, focusing on your upper body/arms. You don't need to lose more weight, you look great! It sounds like you just want more muscle tone, so that's what you need to focus on. You're right, you can't spot reduce, but if you focus your training on your arms for example, you'll see results. Muscle does burn more fat, so depending on where you want to go, you may have to increase your calories and what you're eating (i.e. lots of protein) to maintain your weight and increase your muscle tone. You can do it!!! There are lots of great arm exercises that can tone, just read some of the threads here :-)

And your arms do not look out of proportion at all, they look great in the photo...
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    There is nothing wrong with your arms that I can see. You look great!
  • Thanks for the advice so far, I'm feeling much more reassured and happier with my progress! :smile:

I'll continue to work on my trouble spots, and hopefully continuing to eat as cleanly as I possibly can will show me the results I want.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    There are two factor when it comes to looking "cut" and defined.

1. Muscle mass
    2. Body fat

If you increase muscle mass without losing body fat, you can still increase muscle definition/visibility. It's the same thing with abs. I have DYEL ab muscle mass but fairly low body fat so I'm just left with this weird *kitten* concave stomach lol. If you add muscle you're are will look more defined. Dips, bench, skull crushers, and tricep pulldown/pushdown are good tricep exercises. If you have no gym access you can still do dips and push ups.
  • Sakura_Tree
    Sakura_Tree Posts: 142 Member
    your arms looks perfectly normal and you look flippin amazing i wouldn't change anything. but if you want try doing some bicep curls and tricep pull downs
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    If you're unhappy with them you can do some strength training.
  • sorryfrench
    sorryfrench Posts: 163 Member
    I want a body like your's! Very inspirational. :love:
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    I agree that what you need is to do some serious weight training. If you want to look like you workout you need to workout.
  • You look great to me!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Look into strength training.

Check out Starting Strength, NROLFW and Stronglifts. There are also groups on MFP for these as well.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Haha my arms have recently become larger..only thing is I've been doing it on purpose :blushing:

I'd definitely get started on those bicep curls and skull crushers. You can't spot reduce fat, but you can definitely change the shape and definition of a target area by weight lifting. And yes, if you hit the heavy weights you will be more efficient at burning fat over all.
  • PrimalSiren
    PrimalSiren Posts: 144
    Your arms look normal to me. Just as everyone else suggested, do some weight training to achieve a more defined look. I was where you are not too long ago and after about 6 weeks of body weight exercises I think they're finally looking how they should.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    If you want definition in your arms you need to strength train. Take your calorie intake up to maintenance and lift heavy. You should see some slow muscle gain and BF% should continue to fall (known as recomping)

You may see some weight gains when you start lifting so put the scale away if you think this will freak you out.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    A. Your arms looks great

B. Lift weights!

You don't have much fat left anyway, and even if you did, you should still lift. There's no reason to lose fat before lifting. Lifting preserves muscle as you lose weight. This is a good thing.
  • ravenrxx
    ravenrxx Posts: 455 Member
    Your arms match your body perfectly! Your beautiful! And well done you've done a fantastic job(:
  • angelpinkgal
    angelpinkgal Posts: 16 Member
    I kinda know how you feel. I am pretty happy with my body right now except my arms. Your arms look great though! But if you feel conscious about them, so some weight training :) good luck!