Headaches after working out???

Options
Why is it that here lately I am getting a headache everytime I workout. At first I was thinking maybe it was that I wasn't drinking enough water, but I went back and I am, I am drinking at least my 8 glasses and usually 4 more to go with it. Should I up that intake even more or do you think it could be something different?

Replies

• jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I find that too....If would increase your water if you can. I find on days I do Kickboxing that I have to drink about 10-12 glasses to avoid feeling dehydrated or headachy, drink water during too, it helps prevent your getting overheated. I hope it works for you!
  • fitzio1015
    fitzio1015 Posts: 168
    Options
    When i get headaches after a workout i eat a healthy snack...its usually low blood sugar for me....
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    sometimes if my iron level is low that happens. :frown: take care of yourself.
  • Dopechick
    Dopechick Posts: 16
    Options
    When I first started working out I was getting them too. It was due to not breathing correctly and tensing up during workouts. Just pay attention to how you breathe, in through nose out through mouth helped me. Also, try to relax your neck and shoulders and see if that helps. :) Good luck!
  • mtns2010
    mtns2010 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can give myself a headache by holding my breath just a slight amount when doing certain types of exercises (or even driving in fast traffic).... It ends up giving me a headache stemming from the upper neck, lower head area....
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I would guess this is due to high blood pressure caused by extended periods of higher than normal heart rates that maybe your body is not used too.

I realize that during exercise your heart rate will be elevated but if your pushing it too far that is when your headaches will occur.
  • BigSouthernMama
    Options
    Maybe you need more water then what you are drinking now. Give more water a try.
  • bridget1103
    bridget1103 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i agree..need to drink some water or eat a healthy snack.
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    you need sugar and protein, thats what I would think. I usually have a banana, apple or some cheese after a work out, it helps
  • cbullock115
    cbullock115 Posts: 110
    Options
    Thanks for all of the quick responses. I have been doing the 30day Shred workout and upped it to Level 2 yesterday and those are the only two days I have had a headache after working out. I think I am going to take y'alls advice and up the water and eat an apple. :smile:
  • millymoo81
    millymoo81 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I used to get these headaches too. I did some research and found out that it's either low blood sugar or when your heart rate increases too quickly.

I now have a small amount of carbs about an hour before the gym and make sure I do a proper warm up too. After the gym I make sure I've had some more carbs and protein within an hour of exercising.

Hope this helps! Those headaches are a killer!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Gatorade!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to replace your electrolytes that you lose during exercise. You should sip water during your workout. I drink 16+ ounces during my workouts.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/41036-replace-electrolytes/
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2209167_replace-lost-electrolytes.html