How do you stay on the wagon after a bad day? Help!

Options
So I have been tracking, being good with my food choices and working out (consisently, minus tracking on weekends!) for almost two weeks now...but now I've come to the point on this heavily trodden path where I usually fall off the edge...the first bad day!

Yesterday was just a complete fail. First off some of the ladies in work were selling band/guides candy for their kids, and being the charitable soul that I am I bought some chocolate almonds (protein right?). As much as I would like to convince myself otherwise, I cannot have sweet treats within my reach without polishing them off. My will failed and the 70g box of chocolate almonds were no more.

I had planned to go to our local climbing gym with some of my roommates after work, but I get home and one of the guys has to work late. I decide that if the climbing plan is off I'll go for a run. Meanwhile my other roommate is baking the most awesome cupcakes you ever saw. It would be rude not to have one right? I mean I'll be running/climbing it off later anyway. But I didn't climb, or run. I didn't get a great sleep the night before, so after my cupcake I had a nap, woke up had a healthy-ish dinner and watched a movie with my roommates...whilst another serving of cake and ice cream was served.

600 calories over my daily goal....arghh! And don't even get me started on my macros!!

I can't workout today as I have a volunteer gig after work, but I'm going to try and eat 500-600 calories less than my goal today. It might sound extreme, but I know how my brain works and if I don't kick myself up the *kitten* today it's a slippery slope back to the land of the lard!

So I guess my question is, how do you pick yourself up after a bad day? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Slipping up once and a while is just fine. We are not perfect; just works in progress. I had a whole cup of almonds in one sitting the other night. And, last night I ate a bunch of steamed shrimp. So many I felt ill. But, I'm back on track today and determined.
  • TiaFerrera
    Options
    Just keep going girl, after my first two weeks I thought being a cow at the golden corral wouldn't hurt... and truth is. It didn't really. It maybe set back the pattern that arose in how many pounds i loose every few days, Its when you do it every day that you get to where we are :D It takes 3-4 thousand calories over what your burn to gain a whole pound. My boyfriend and I have even discussed having "fat kid days" after every time we loose 10 more pounds.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Own it, log it and move on!
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys, it really helps to hear other people's stories! I think I might just have shut up the little voice in my head that says 'you're obviously no good at this, may as well give it up!'
    - I love that!
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Been there numerous times!! I have been maintaining for 9 months and this happens. I look forward to an event or something, try to eat right and poof - over eat I usually gain 3-4 lbs overnight from water weight gain. I feel like crap the next day but... I get right back to it!! I weigh myself, log food and exercise and no matter how bad I feel (due to weight gain, depression, mad at myself or what) I do it!!!

If you're heading somewhere in the car and wanted to get there by 5, but realized you were going to be a few minutes late, would you just give up and swerve into a bridge abutment?
  • foxxy92
    foxxy92 Posts: 2
    Options
    Just keep going! We all have slip ups, just make sure you get back on track after!

I find experimenting with new meals and exercises keeps me motivated and interested!

And of course, lovely people on here give you that final push! :)

Keep going + good luck!
    x
  • tlblackwell88
    Options
    Bad days are necessary if you ask me. I've only been on this site for 3 days now but in the past I have tracked on my own in a VERY similar way and would allow one "free" day per week and I still lost. On those "free" days I usually would make myself sick and that made me WANT to be good the rest of the week. I'm not doing free days just yet this time around, though. Too much to lose and I know elminating those or only doing them once a month instead will help me for the moment. However, i also called them sanity days because I hate not being able to have certain things and having a day to sort of binge gave me something to look forward to. I would just save up what I wanted that week. But lately, when I've had a bad day, I'm like you, I have given up. Which is why I am trying this site brand new for a change and new motivation. So no free days for me because I know to be successful it has to be a lifestyle change, not a diet. So I try to make the best choices for that moment and I move on.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    azmataz, this one's for you -

When you've eaten too much and you can't write it down,
    And you feel like the biggest failure in town.
    When you want to give up just because you gave in,
    and forget all about being healthy and thin.
    So What! You went over your points a bit,
    It's your next move that counts...So don't you quit!
    It's a moment of truth, it's an attitude change.
    It's learning the skills to get back in your range.
    It's telling yourself, "You've done great up till now.
    You can take on this challenge and beat it somehow."
    It's part of your journey toward reaching your goal.
    You're still gonna make it, just stay in control.
    To stumble and fall is not a disgrace,
    If you summon the will to get back in the race.
    But, often the struggler's, when loosing their grip,
    Just throw in the towel and continue to slip.
    And learn too late when the damage is done,
    that the race wasn't over...they still could have won.
    Lifestyle change can be awkward and slow,
    but facing each challenge will help you grow.
    Success is failure turned inside out,
    the silver tint in a cloud of doubt.
    When you're pushing to the brink, just refuse to submit,
    If you bite it, you write it....But don't you quit!
    --- MFP member Better4Summer
  • bethanemaddox
    Options
    I have a 'naughty day' once a week on a Saturday, helps me to keep on track planning on what I'm going to treat myself too. But falling off for a day is nothing to get yourself down about, just restart the next day and try to push it out of your mind. Plan something for yourself for staying good for a planned time or losing so many pounds, it will help you attain your goals. :)
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options

Exactly. And one day of 600cals over really is not that much.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Life is gonna throw some curves so just take them in stride. So you messed up today just jump right back at it tomorrow. You could maybe cut out an extra 200 calories for the next few days to make up for them if you feel the need but I wouldn't cut out 600 at once. We all have off days but the main thing is we don't give up. Hang in there
  • bdkglk
    bdkglk Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have hit plateaus in my weight loss before and then fell off the wagon. It actually helped me get started losing again when I got back on track. May NOT work this way with everyone however. Your body seems to get stuck in a rut so to speak and needs a boost of something different once in a "blue moon." You do not seem like the type who would keep this up for long anyway. You sound so motivated. Keep up the good work!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Focus on an overall healthy lifestyle, not one day of "bad" eating...not even sure what that really means. Everybody has days where they over indulge...even "naturally" thin people...they don't get back on the wagon, they just have an overall lifestyle that is conducive to maintaining a healthy weight and BF%.

Don't focus on an isolated, singular day...there are 365 of them in a year...take a bigger picture approach to your journey or you're going to go insane
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Just keep going girl, after my first two weeks I thought being a cow at the golden corral wouldn't hurt... and truth is. It didn't really. It maybe set back the pattern that arose in how many pounds i loose every few days, Its when you do it every day that you get to where we are :D It takes 3-4 thousand calories over what your burn to gain a whole pound. My boyfriend and I have even discussed having "fat kid days" after every time we loose 10 more pounds.

I love the idea of sharing a planned "fat" day with your significant other. I'm going to set something like that up with my hubby. He's been wanting a gyro and this way we could share in the meal together with a fun attitude!!!
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    "Dont give up cause you had a bad day, forgive yourself and do better tomorrow"
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I also find logging BEFORE you eat is a great way to stay strong. It's a reality check and deleting entries because you CHOSE to not eat something is a wonderful reward.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options

Exactly. And one day of 600cals over really is not that much.

Yep. Eating over by 600 calories is more than likely just a maintenance day - nothing lost, but nothing gained either. The only failure is if you let it send you into a spiral of despair and binging.
  • oldy76
    oldy76 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    It's what you do next that makes the difference. What has just been cannot be changed! You've had plenty of great days so this one day can be treated as a reminder of the you that you no longer wish to be. That's how I look at days like that anyway.
    Moving forward is the only option.
  • JAnundson
    JAnundson Posts: 23
    Options
    When I have a bad meal (or day), I remember this: One cupcake (or two, or three) isn't going to make you fat. Just like one salad (or two, or three) won't make you skinny.

It's about consistency. Just do better the next day.
  • firstloveyourself
    firstloveyourself Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I like to think of it this way.

If you're putting a container of eggs into the fridge and one falls and breaks, do you throw the rest on the ground? No, you clean it up and put the rest of the eggs into the fridge.

Dropping one egg is okay, as long as you clean it up. :)