Anyone starting P90X

Options
I just started P90X and was wondering how people a managing the nutritional requirements and translating them to recipes.

Replies

• mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I am in week 6 of P90x and I don't follow the diet. I am counting calories with MFP and using a Heart Rate Monitor. When I start my second round of P90x in July I think I am going to follow their diet. It was just too much at once for me. Good luck on the P90x journey :smile:
  • bperez45
    bperez45 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for the repy, I'll just keep going...
  • edavoll
    edavoll Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm starting P90X this coming Monday on May 24th. I've been spending this week really "studying" the diet. I am going to try the portion control first. It seems once I get into the routine of it all - it will come naturally (or at least that's what I am hoping for!). I've even been trying some "test days" this week of the diet without all the extra protein.... So far, so good! I'm not buying all their supplements - and instead have found comparable bars and whey protein.

GOOD LUCK!
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I just took the calorie level and macronutrient ratios from the p90x program. So I'm on 1800 cal / day + exercise and assuming 600 cals from exercise I need 300g protein to follow their program. I completely ignore the detail because I'm vegan and their stage 1 diet is very far from vegan. Their stage 3 diet is almost vegan, so I'm looking forward to that! Its a while away though, because I'm only on day 10.

At first I was really nervous about not being able to meet the protein requirement (I really wanted to do the program "properly"). I can rarely get more than 150g protein on a 2400 cal diet. But then I looked a bit closer and worked out the reason for the high protein level is mostly so you can experience the effect of increasing your carb levels. The diet is actually a lot more flexible than it seems because of the way its presented.

As for translating things into recipes, I don't really. I only cook for myself most of the time, so I tend to just eat ingredients and nutritional profiles when I'm on a high protein diet. On a normal diet obviously I make meals, but its too much effort when you're really trying to max out one particular macro nutrient.

I think I'm rambling, but its bed time and I've got a bit of a cold, so I can't think too clearly, and I'm certainly not going to edit. Hope the above all makes sense :)
  • bperez45
    bperez45 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thank you for your replies, I decided to go by my local nutritional supplement store and purchase supplements others have used for P90X. Not cheap for more easier to manage. Specially since I am lactose intollerant. I'm trying to follow the diet with substitues, some of the stuff I don't eat.

Good luck to all of us!!!