Just starting... walking vs. gym

Options
Hi! I am just starting to exercise again after several months of being sedentary. I have a friend who has offered for me to go to his gym with him tonight, or offered to come walk a few miles with me and the dog. When you are just starting to exercise, is it better to go the gym for a hard workout, or gradually build your exercise up? I'm going to do something physical today its just a matter of what I should start out with. Any advice or opinions are welcomed!

Replies

• JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I would say gradually build yourself up in order to avoid injury. But, gyms have treadmills, so it might be good to go to the gym. It can inspire you! Just walk on the treadmill, or get on an elliptical. Find what works for you!
  • turkeyhunter60
    turkeyhunter60 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    gradual buildup, BUT, if you go to the gym now, go easy for awhile.
  • gottogetinshape
    gottogetinshape Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I also think it's sensible to gradually build up your exercise as it will be less of a shock to the system. Also you need to start building a sustainable routine rather than pushing yourself extremely hard right from the start and then finding it difficult to keep that up. I'd definitely choose the walk if I were you. It's a great way to exercise, especially if you have a friend with you. You can do this! :)
  • keninf
    keninf Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You will no doubt get a lot of different advice from folk here, but the best option for you, is just that, the best option for you. I like the thought of folks trying a variety of different types of exercises and experiencing the variety keeps your body moving and your mind/heart interested so you stay motivated to exercise. That being said, take your friend up on both options :) Just don't overdo your time at the gym since you are just starting, you could get overly sore and even maybe a little bit discouraged- there is a lot to offer through a gym and you may find many great ways to workout that you would not have at home. Walking is a perfect way to start, and there are plenty of folk who walk and stay fit as part of a balanced exercise routine. Enjoy both and enjoy having a friend to exercise with! Your dog will enjoy all that walking too :)
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I started with just walking and using 1lb dumbells.. I still prefer to walk for my cardio, I have a 4.5mph pace now and I'm lifting 16lb dumbells. So I say see about doing both just don't over do it until you are used to the activity! Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like!
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Oh I love walking and hiking. I've lost 50 pounds doing so. Experiencing nature, can do more, than a gym ever could. Of course this is an individual thing.

Just start with the thing that will get you moving, and is sustainable. Gung ho beginnings rarely are sustainable.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I love my walks. Time to clear my head, plan my day and just chill. The best time of my day.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE proponent of "do what you enjoy the most." I think that is the only way you will continue to exercise. If you prefer the gym, go to the gym. If you prefer walking, then walk! I, personally, prefer to walk so that's what I do. I walk every morning for an hour before work. I also do squats, leg lifts with a resistance band and I have a couple sets of hand weights for upper body strength and I fit those exercises in throughout the day so I am doing more than just cardio. I have now lost 65 pounds without stepping foot in a gym because I hate the gym! Other people have just as much or more success going to the gym. It's all about what you enjoy and what you will keep doing, IMO.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Unless your dog has a hankering to use an elliptical, I say go walking with the dog. It will be healthy for both of you, plus it helps to socialize the dog.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I assume you would be a guest at the gym. Many (most?) gyms are happy to have a trainer meet with you to help you get started. they will pitch a membership of course, but usually have reasonably sound advice for getting started. I would call the gym and see if they would do that at the time you would be going. If so, I would do that. I am also assuming that you can resist a sales pitch; I advise against joining a gym as a first step in an exercise program. I think you need to be sure you are committed to it and that the particular gym is the best choice for you.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I started walking, doing DVDs at home, zumba, then walking turned to running. I'm back to walking because of some hip problems that won't go away, but I prefer being outdoors anytime over being in a gym. I did get my own weight bench and weights for Christmas so I can do that at home, though. My love of being outdoors has now led me to getting ready for my first "event' for a long trail hike coming up in June. Like others have said, it's what you prefer. I would definitely go easy, though, if you start at the gym. P.S. I had a treadmill for 10 years, it broke, bought an elliptical and it was the worst investment I ever made. Loved it - for 5 minutes at a time - lol. Not having a treadmill is what led me to the outdoors.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I much prefer walking as well, but who knows how long it lasts once it starts getting hot and humid out.

The gym is honestly dangerous if you're not ready, IMO. I remember going once and playing a bit with the equipment, then I couldn't move the next day. Bad move...
  • krouse83
    krouse83 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input! The weather here is way to nice to pass up. 60's and sunshine deserve to be spent outdoors. I'm about to take the dog on a 3 mile walk I mapped out on google maps. Yay!