Quinoa

Options
2»

Replies

• sailawaykate
    Options
    Anything you'd do with rice, plus, anything you'd do with cold pasta! My favorite so far is toasted quinoa (like a pilaf) with black beans. But then I'm a beans & rice type of person...
  • kelli1604
    Options
    bump
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i dont have a full recipe, but when used as a side, i would instead of just broth to cook it use the carton soups - usually organic, etc. as an example, here is a link to wholefoods carton soups - we have had the chipotle sweet potato and it's yummy

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/blog/whole-story/think-outside-can

found some great ones at super target too - you don't need to go just whole foods- gives it a lot of nice flavor and usually has some chunks or beans or something in it to give it some added bulk :)

usually one whole carton per 1/2 cup of quinoa. if i think it looks too dry then ill add chicken broth, but this is usually enough.
  • motherofdragons84
    motherofdragons84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    These sound delicious! I'm trying.
    QUINOA PIZZA BITES!

Ingredients:
    1/2 c. uncooked quinoa
    1 large egg
    1/2 c. chopped onion
    1/2 c. fat free shredded mozzarella
    1 t. minced garlic
    1 T. dried basil
    1 t. dried oregano
    pinch of salt
    pizza sauce for dipping

*** you can also had turkey peps cut up or peppers too

Directions:
    1. Cook your protein-filled quinoa! Boil the quinoa and 1c. water and cover. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes (until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender).
    2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all of your ingredients (except the pizza sauce) in a mixing bowl until it is well mixed.
    3. Lightly spray the bottom of a mini-muffin tin with olive oil spray. Using a Tablespoon, scoop ~1T. into each muffin tin, it should fill almost all of them!
    4. Bake them for 15-20 and let cool. Serve them warm with pizza sauce to dip
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Wow great recipes"
  • MrsTheunissen
    MrsTheunissen Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Give me some great Quinoa recipes!!! I have a huge bag from costco but I'm at a loss with what to do with it all...!!!

I love this bread recipe

http://southamericanfood.about.com/od/healthyeating/r/quinoabread.htm
  • amyg007
    amyg007 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just created a "Moroccan Quinoa" out of the contents in my fridge. This serves 4-6, but you can always scale it down to feed less. (i've been eating it for 3 days now!)

1 yellow pepper
    1 small sweet potato
    1 small eggplant
    2 small carrots
    1 shallot
    1/2 of a jalapeno pepper
    2 cloves of garlic
    1/2 cup frozen peas (or fresh)
    1/2 cup frozen corn (or fresh)
    2 cups of Quinoa cooked
    1-2 oz. Goat cheese
    1 tbsp Grapeseed oil
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp all spice
    1 tsp crushed coriander
    1 tbsp turmeric
    1 tbsp cumin
    Cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper to taste

Cook the quinoa separately. While it is cooking, stir fry all the vegetables (hold off on the frozen veg as the will cook quickly) and spices together in a fat of your choice (I used grapeseed oil). Once halfway cooked, add a bit of water and cover. Stir occasionally until cooked. When everything is cooked, place quinoa on a plate, sprinkle goat cheese on top, then add the veggies. I know this recipe seems like a lot of work, but it is so worth it! You also can change up the veggies to anything you like. I've made this recipe public on MFP, so feel free to look it up!