It's working now but will it last?

Options
my wife and I have been on this journey since April,we've both been up and down many times over the years.My wife has lost around 19 lbs. and I have lost 22 lbs.I think we contribute our success to a few things,one is definitey this web site,several times we logged everything in late in the day and realized that we were about to blow it so reevaluated intake for the remainder of the day to maintain allotted cals.We drink our water,we work out at least 4 and usually 5 times per week.Now here's where it gets a little shady,we watch our cals on the weekends and try to stay close but it's not allways the healthiest food or beverages.We read and learn a lot from all of you,so we're aware that it's probably the zig zagging that is keeping us currently successful,but how long will it last,is it possibly an if it ain't broke don't fix it scenario?Or is it a short lived joy ride that is going to end shortly?

Replies

• Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I think it will last as long as your mindful of your eating. By the time you get to your goal weight, you'll know what is and isn't good for you. A splurge now and than will be fine, just as long as you don't lose control and fall back into old eating habbits.

I am nervous too, that once I am at my goal, will I go back to old eating habbits again? Maybe not. I do know I will always be a member of this site though, so I can maintain, and keep an eye on my eating.:flowerforyou:

Edited to add a Way to go! You two should be proud of your sucess.
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    Thanks,I'm pretty sure you are right,do you really see yourself doing this forever?That's probably exactly why we have failed or gained it back in the past,we loose the weight we get confident,start enjoying too much of the good life and go way over on intake of cals.

I guess we really do need to make this a life time routine.We still want to loose another 20 to 30 lbs. so I'm not anywhere close to giving up on my journey or this website,just pondering the future.

Thanks again for the post!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    I lost 27 pounds about 2-21/2 yrs ago and just put back on 10 pounds over the past 6 mnths
    I am sooooo mad at myself.....it's never one bad meal or one day of not working out.....adds up and I guess after a while u feel invincible
    My advice is to continue to track cals and weigh in weekly!

Good lucvk, kim
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I totally see myself doing this forever (I mean I've already been at it for nearly 8.5 months). I'm also less strict with myself on the weekends. But I also don't sit behind a desk for 8 hours a day on the weekends like I do M-F. I'm DOING stuff (I never used to do stuff :laugh:). so I think my increased activity cancels out the extra calories for me.

The longer you stick with this and the more you read and learn and experiment, the more you're going to find things that work for you in a sustainable way. I don't deprive myself of anything I want anymore and I'm still losing weight. I'm far less concerned with how fast I'm losing now and more concerned about being healthy and enjoying my life. I'm so not even on a diet! I hate that entire concept (for myself and for anyone else). Quite frankly, a "diet" isn't sustainable.

You've got this! :smile:
  • tex43
    Options
    Thanks for your responses,that means a lot,specially coming from folks who have experienced it and know.I can't wait to get to where you are this time,and like both of you I know that I am going to have to monitor the cals,activity,and portions from here on out.

So do you think the zig zagging so to speak on the weekends is ok?
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses,that means a lot,specially coming from folks who have experienced it and know.I can't wait to get to where you are this time,and like both of you I know that I am going to have to monitor the cals,activity,and portions from here on out.

Well, I allow myself to eat more on the weekends most of the time, but like I said it's because my activity level (read: calorie burn) is higher those days. Even on special occasions I generally try to keep my calorie intake under what I think would be my maintenance calories and generally I'm almost always still in weight loss mode.
    Thing is, I don't try to compensate for it on the weekdays by eating less. I pretty much try to keep my NET calorie intake at 1200. For birthdays and holidays, I sometimes allow myself to not worry so much about it but even then My net is usually somewhere around 1500-1600 which is still weight loss mode for me.

So, even if I typically eat 1400-1600 cal during the week and 1600-2000 on the weekends, my net calories are almost always around 1000-1300 because I've been more active & burned more calories on the weekend days. I think as long as you go into it with a plan and not use the weekend as an excuse to overeat (I'll eat something I've been craving, like Chinese food or Mexican food. But I still eat healthy reasonable portions of those foods) you'll be okay. Also, try to get in some more exercise on those days, even if it's just through gardening or housework. I'm also always mindful of where my weight loss mode ends and where my weight gain mode begins and try to stay under that line with my net calories, even on weekends.
    And, always remember if you allow yourself to eat more, especially some things like food from a restaurant, your sodium intake is probably going to be through the roof. So, if seeing the number on the scale go up bothers you (seriously, it's just water retention), don't weigh yourself again until Wednesday or Thursday. :laugh:
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    This is about making changes to make yourself healthier. It sounds as if you and your wife have made some huge changes for the better and are being rewarded by a new heathier body. At some time you may become dissatisfied with the result and need to make some additional small heathy changes to continue to see results, but that day isn't today.

Trying to be perfect in this journey often results in frustration. Try for progress rather than perfection.
  • tex43
    Options

Well, I allow myself to eat more on the weekends most of the time, but like I said it's because my activity level (read: calorie burn) is higher those days. Even on special occasions I generally try to keep my calorie intake under what I think would be my maintenance calories and generally I'm almost always still in weight loss mode.
    Thing is, I don't try to compensate for it on the weekdays by eating less. I pretty much try to keep my NET calorie intake at 1200. For birthdays and holidays, I sometimes allow myself to not worry so much about it but even then My net is usually somewhere around 1500-1600 which is still weight loss mode for me.

So, even if I typically eat 1400-1600 cal during the week and 1600-2000 on the weekends, my net calories are almost always around 1000-1300 because I've been more active & burned more calories on the weekend days. I think as long as you go into it with a plan and not use the weekend as an excuse to overeat (I'll eat something I've been craving, like Chinese food or Mexican food. But I still eat healthy reasonable portions of those foods) you'll be okay. Also, try to get in some more exercise on those days, even if it's just through gardening or housework. I'm also always mindful of where my weight loss mode ends and where my weight gain mode begins and try to stay under that line with my net calories, even on weekends.
    And, always remember if you allow yourself to eat more, especially some things like food from a restaurant, your sodium intake is probably going to be through the roof. So, if seeing the number on the scale go up bothers you (seriously, it's just water retention), don't weigh yourself again until Wednesday or Thursday. :laugh:
    This makes so much sense,and I think for the most part this is what we are doing as well,just weren't really cognizant that it was the right thing to do.I too get a lot of activity on the weekends,even more than during the week going to the gym in the mornings,cuz like you I have an office job.On the weekends we do lots of yard work and gardening.

Where would you say our weight loss/gain modes are?
    ?
  • tex43
    Options
    This is about making changes to make yourself healthier. It sounds as if you and your wife have made some huge changes for the better and are being rewarded by a new heathier body. At some time you may become dissatisfied with the result and need to make some additional small heathy changes to continue to see results, but that day isn't today.

Trying to be perfect in this journey often results in frustration. Try for progress rather than perfection.
    [/quote

]Thanks good advice!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!