Mole removal soon, won't be able to run for a bit - help?

Options
EgMay
EgMay Posts: 13 Member
Hi MFP!

So I'm getting a mole on my back removed today - nothing serious, it just looked kind of funky. However, I was told while scheduling the surgery that I won't be able to run (or partake in strenuous exercise) for a couple of weeks while it heals. This is an issue since running is my main form of exercising. Bummer!

Has anyone else been through this or something similar? If so, what types of exercise (if any) have kept you in shape but let you heal properly? I'm planning on walking, but I feel I may get bored pretty quickly with just that.

Thanks!

Replies

• Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    That's weird. I had a mole removed and only had to wait three days. It was right in the crease of my leg to pelvis area too
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I would think if it's not rubbing on anything or your stitches are going to get snagged, I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't do any strength training on a bench or anything. Or swimming where it would get wet. But running? Seems a little extreme.
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    if you have an app with GPS, try walking at 5 MilesPerHour
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    A couple of weeks? I have had moles removed and could workout that same day. Did the doctor give a reason why you can't run? If you can't run, maybe you can't do any physical activities like spin classes or other classes. I would suggest walking if that is the case. I know it isn't close to being the same, but at least it is something.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I had a mole removed on my arm and I continued on with my normal activities after a few days. I had to have it removed as it kept catching on things as I worked. yucky! I am a grounds keeper and work alot with my arms doing quite strenuous work. if you keep it covered and stop any activity that irritates it or opens the wound up, you shopuld be ok. I'm no doctor but this was my personal experience with mole removal.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I had a mole removed from my back and although I wasn't exercising at the time, I don't see why you couldn't run. Maybe the friction?

I would stick with walking just to be safe, I guess.
  • juliana813
    juliana813 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i had mine removed but it was at the top of my back and they said it was fine, just keep a bandaid over it until it's healed! Is yours big? Mine was average sized.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Ive had one removed on my tummy. I don't recall there being a healing process. Really minimal procedure unless it's really big?
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    I just went through this in December. I had melanoma removed from my right back calf on my leg. Had an incision 7 inches long that left me with a leg looking like a shark bite. I also could not work out for a month and it freaked me out. I set myself to maintenance on calories since I knew that I would not have exercise calories to eat back. It actually turned out to be a nice break. I did gain a couple of pounds but I am always up a couple then down a couple. So I pretty much maintained. The key was to keep logging daily so you don't let yourself get out of control. You will be fine. Just had to stop worrying and reset my brain to heal and get well instead of being worried.
  • EgMay
    EgMay Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and input, everyone!

I just got back from the surgery, it went smoothly - one of the dermatologists said that I only need to wait one week until I exercise! That's a lot better than two! The time frame for healing is probably because it's a larger mole on an area that moves a lot during exercise haha.
  • carolinesparkle
    carolinesparkle Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am having 2 removed in a couple of weeks, 1 on my back, 1 on my chest area. I had been wondering exactly the same with hat I can and can't do. I will be having stitches, usually I have had about 3 for each mole that I've had removed. I currently follow the NROL4W and C25K, I was worried about having to stop for a week but it sounds like walking/light jogging should be ok. Thanks !