Should pain while running

Edit: Typo in the title. 'Should' should be shoulder. (that's an awkward sentence...)

Does anyone get shoulder pain when running? My right shoulder starts to kill me around the third mile. The pain is coming from under the shoulder blade towards the bottom of the blade. It goes away after about a half mile, but that half mile is very painful.

Replies

• wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Do you clench your fists while you run? If you do, try opening your hands. It'll reduce the strain on your upper body. Sounds weird, but it worked for me.
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Yes. Not every time, but I also feel pain/tension in my right shoulder while running. Haven't quite figured out why, yet.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Bump - I get a similar pain, generally when I'm really pushing it. Doesn't seem muscular, but don't know for sure. I don't clench fists, etc.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Do you clench your fists while you run? If you do, try opening your hands. It'll reduce the strain on your upper body. Sounds weird, but it worked for me.

No, I do make loose fists but I am not clenching.
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Are you tensing your shoulders while running? Holding them up too high, or swinging your arms too much? If so, try to focus on not flexing your shoulders, and maybe not swinging your arms quite as high.
  • scribega
    scribega Posts: 159 Member
    Make sure you aren't clinching your jaw as well. Keep it loose...I used to have this problem and just had to remind myself to "shake it out" about every mins to help keep it loose.
  • melmargirly
    melmargirly Posts: 59 Member
    I've noticed in the past that I tense up around my neck/shoulder area.... I do a couple neck rolls to stretch that area and every now and then while running i shake my arms to get the blood flowing back into my limbs. Hopefully that helps you.
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    All great info. I have that pain too occasionally. Its because I am usually leaning forward TOO far and bad posture when running. Keep your back straight, head up, and like others suggested keep your hands open.
  • samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    I get shoulder pain while running. - my personal trainer says that you use your arms a lot during (especially when you're trying to go faster) and that I should try and build up my upper body strength with press ups and stuff
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    I have shoulder instability so my shoulders ache at different times, including during running if I don't purposely hold my shoulders back. When I started StrongLifts, one shoulder got better and the other one got way worse. I found these exercises, and as soon as I started doing the first one, my shoulder has felt so much better. Each time I do it, it gets better, but even that first time reduced my pain by about 50%
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6MMD5L7498
    The others may be helping, but that first one really did it for me, and my ache is right where you are talking about. Good luck!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Edit: Typo in the title. 'Should' should be shoulder. (that's an awkward sentence...)

Does anyone get shoulder pain when running? My right shoulder starts to kill me around the third mile. The pain is coming from under the shoulder blade towards the bottom of the blade. It goes away after about a half mile, but that half mile is very painful.

I did, I carried a lot of tension. I made it a point to leave my hands open, and focus on leaving my chest and shoulders loose. Problem went away.
  • BlairLove
    BlairLove Posts: 14 Member
    I was having this problem last year - that, along with general upper back pain when sitting at my desk. I ended up going to a physical therapist who said it was from poor posture and weak muscles in my upper back. You may want to see a chiropractor/physical therapist - it helped me a lot.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Thanks everyone! I will keep an eye on my posture tonight when I run to see if I am clenching or straining.