Help me get a job!!!

Options
_Pseudonymous_
_Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
So there is a job that I really want and I've applied for other positions at other campuses for this college but this one position at this one location is perfect for me. It's as and Administrative Assistant for their Special Education Department. Right now I am working as an Administrative Assistant for a company that helps people with Special Needs (i.e.- mental retardation, autisum, down syndrome, etc.). Basically I am 110% Perfect for this position and 110% qualified as well. Here is the conundrum- there are 100's of people applying for this position. I need to stand out so that they give my resume a good read and see that I am absolutely everything they need, and more.

Here is where you come in.

Should I:
A.) Use one of the following formats posted below
or
B.) Use a classic yet well done black and white format and rely upon my qualifications alone to help me stand out.

Option 1:
dnzfdk.jpg

Option 2:
35k9b2g.jpg

Option 3:
wuo2kg.jpg

Option 4:
16gx2d5.jpg

Thank you for your time and have a Fantastic Day. ^__^

P.S. - I realize that this is not fitness related, to be honest I don't care. However, by getting this job, and then in turn receiving nearly $3 more in pay, I will be able to better afford the things that my new healthy lifestyle necessitate.

Replies

• crissy_percival
    crissy_percival Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    $3?
  • _Pseudonymous_
    Options
    $3?

Yes. $3 more than what I am currently making. At the moment I am still below the double digits, If I can capture their attention, show them my qualifications and win them over with my charm then I will be making about $13. Not much but it will make a difference all the same.
  • TiaFerrera
    Options
    I'm sure I'll get some complaints here, but unless your a graphic designer you should stick with something clean and simple - like number 3 or you're going to look... well, An office job wouldn't call for something like the others, and from all my experience you never ever include a photo. If you're pretty, and you are, you'll look vain or pre-occupied, and if you're not pretty that comes with it's own bundle of discriminations. What will really help is the follow up - call to see if they'd had a chance to review and if you can answer any questions, and making sure you come out looking clean on google.
  • tallulahthunderbird
    tallulahthunderbird Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I prefer number 3, but that is the legal field in me coming out. I hope you get the job!
  • M______
    M______ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Definitely go with the youtube video where you rap your CV. It's easy to distribute and will help you stand out from the crowd.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    Options
    Definitely go with the youtube video where you rap your CV. It's easy to distribute and will help you stand out from the crowd.

I already planned on attaching a link to my youtube video where I perform a musical number about my qualifications for this job. It involves Half the Musical Theatre students of TCU and ends with a Chorus line.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    first, watch your "person first language"...especially in the field. Mental Retardation should be changed to "persons with disabilities". Second, use someone you are currently working with as a reference. I've been in the field a LONG time, it's tough but you can do it. Directly quote from the job description in your cover letter too, and that you are extremely capable of completing the tasks assigned
  • M______
    Options

I already planned on attaching a link to my youtube video where I perform a musical number about my qualifications for this job. It involves Half the Musical Theatre students of TCU and ends with a Chorus line.

Now that's how you get a job!

That and option number 3. I think it guarantees your CV will be read which is the first most important thing. Its easy on the eye and looks as though it lets you focus on the important stuff. I imagine it could force an instant impression.

I don't like the first. Reminds me of 50 year old police documents. Good luck :)
  • TiaFerrera
    Options
    The youtube thing is a joke right? I don't think I'm that out of touch with those only a few younger than I am... but thats a joke right?
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Agree, with PP's option three is the best format. Also make sure you have one or two people besides yourself proofread your CV for errors. Since you're applying to be an AA, any little typo/grammar error could be the difference between them putting your CV in the interview pile or throwing it in the trash.

Good Luck!!
  • M______
    Options
    The youtube thing is a joke right?

Very much so :)
  • TiaFerrera
    Options
    *whew* lmao
  • donthegeek
    donthegeek Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Speaking as an interviewer, I would prefer to see option 2 or 3. I don't know about anyone else, but do not include a picture. That is a big no-no where I work.

Best of luck to you and I hope you not only get a job with more income but a job that you will truly enjoy as well.

Don
  • iBreatheMusic88
    Options
    Number 3... Mines looks alot like that, but its just a tad different... They want to be able to just glance at it, and not have to feel like they are studying it. Good luck!

Oh and BUMP hahaha
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I think #3 is good!
  • nuttynetty114
    nuttynetty114 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like 4, but WITHOUT THE PHOTO. I use one like number 4 with your name on the top and not on the side and without the photo. If you can't do 4 without photo, use 3.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    A clean and concise resume that lists your direct experience in short form would be your best bet as it shows your professionalism.

Also the resume is only 1/2 the battle, you need to get through an interview leaving that prospective employer never second guessing that you'd be a great choice. Emphasize your best traits and be honest about your worst traits with an expaination on how you are always working to make those traits better. Dress for the job you want, not for the job you have is a great phrase to remember before you leave the house the day of the interview and don't forget to not stress, the more relaxed and responsive you are the better :)

These are things that I do when I interview for jobs and honestly I have been offered nearly every job I have ever applied and interviewed for including those that I had no education and experience in even though they required one or the other.

Good luck!
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    As an Admin for the CFO of a large global company, my resume looks FAR much more like #4. I was hired in a heartbeat. Do NOT send a picture! EVER!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I also prefer #3. It's very professional looking. If they have that many applicants to go through they are looking for something that is easy to read and gives a good picture of who you are and your qualifications.
  • DanceFittDiva
    DanceFittDiva Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am an I.T. Recruiter and I look at resumes all day to consider individuals for job opportunities. Any of those will work, but I cannot stress to you enough, do NOT include a photo on your resume. Quite honestly it's a bit creepy and we do not take individuals seriously that include their photo on a resume. The biggest reason is because they're supposed to be considering you for a job without basis to race, religion, creed, etc. They may see your picture and not like one thing or another about it and disqualify you based upon that. Just trying to help... Good luck!