Struggling with Losing - Upping Calories Not Working. :(

Options
So I've been reading a lot of past posts about how people had more success with weight loss when upping their calories to 1500 or so a day. MFP tells me that I need 1200 calories a day to lose 1lb a week, but I just can't do it. I am tired, cranky, and starving at 1200 calories. So for the past few weeks I've been doing 1500-1600 calories (net), but haven't lost a pound. I don't really lift, but I do walk, jog, or do some kind of dancing workout like Wii Fit or Zumba 4-5 days a week. Plus I have 3 small kids who keep me very busy. I eat relatively clean, lots of fruits, veggies, and lean meats, but do have some kind of cheat at least once a day (but keep my portions very small so that I stick to my 1500 calories). So am I really going to have to starve myself and eat 1200 a day to get the scale to move? Does anyone have any ideas on what I can try next?

5'3"
152lbs
goal: 135lbs (Maybe 125 eventually)
33 years old

Replies

• wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in hearing the answer to that question. I upped my calories and started to weight lift, I lost five pounds right away and then it just stopped.
  • forbiddendonut
    forbiddendonut Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'd kill for a 5lb loss! How many calories are you eating now, and how much are you lifting?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    What kind of life style did you pick? With MFP you're supposed to eat back your exercise calories too... so either way you should eat more than 1200. But I highly doubt it would tell you to eat 1200 at 1lb a week if you say that you are moderately active.
  • skelley331
    skelley331 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I tried eating back my exercise calories and I would gain every time.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Try eating more "filling" foods, maybe? I eat apples and baby carrots as an afternoon snack and it keeps me satisfied until suppertime. I also like to eat more protein in the morning for breakfast - an omelet does wonders to keep me full and is really low in calories. Actually count the calories in the TYPE of foods you eat. I hear a lot of people saying, "have an apple with peanut butter" for a snack, but that loads on an additional mega-watt of calories even with a single serving of peanut butter. The same weight in broccoli however, will net you protein *and* fiber, and very VERY few calories.

So there are lots of options out there to keep you from feeling like you are starving yourself - it's just a matter of finding them. Ready, set, Go!

You can "friend" me if you want to see the kinds of stuff I eat to maintain around a 1300 calorie per day diet, although I've only been here a few days - everything for the past few years is on MyNetDiary....oops.

Also - the scale isn't moving, but what about your measurements? Are your measurements dropping? That sometimes happens...
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You have to give it at least 4-6 weeks for your metabolism to catch up when you make an adjustment like that. When I upped my calories I stayed the same weight for over a month. That's right, didn't lose an ounce. Three weeks ago the scale started moving again. Just make sure you're accurately logging your food, weighing, measuring etc.
  • Marie_Little
    Options
    I am very active (in the Army) and my caloric intake is only 1200 calories a day. I get stuck every once in a while and I found that a quick way to jump start my fat burn is to shock my system. I still only do 1200 calories a day but cut out all carbs for a day or two. Then splurge on carbs and cut something else. Don't let your body get used to what you are doing. If you jog everyday do hills instead of your normal route or do sprints instead of distance. Let me know how it works for you.
  • eredmon8731
    eredmon8731 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Im sure you've already heard this, but it's not necessarily how MANY calories, but the TYPE of calories--if that makes sense. I'm no professional, and I'm only speaking from personal experience (I'm training for figure competitions); however, if you fill your day with odd proportions of macronutrients, then you will definitely FEEL like your body is starving, even when technically 1200 calories won't necessarily put you in starvation mode.

I can't see your food diary so I'm not certain what your day looks like, but 2 rules of thumb I SWEAR by:
    1. Fill up on protein in the morning, and it's okay to have good carbs. I know everyone hears this day in and day out, but it's sooo true and vital to not feeling like you're killing yourself as the day progresses. My typical breakfast is: 2 egg whites, 1 cup special k (or 3/4 c special k protein) with 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, and 2 teaspoons flax oil (healthy fats.)
    2. Eat every 2-3 hours--trust me...if you beat your body to the "hungry" feeling, it'll do wonders for both your mental AND physical state.

Feel free to ask any questions--I've run the gamut of highs and lows and know what works for me--so if I can help just a little, I'm happy to do so!

Ps. I am also 5'3" and I eat around 1400 calories/ day.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You have to give it at least 4-6 weeks for your metabolism to catch up when you make an adjustment like that. When I upped my calories I stayed the same weight for over a month. That's right, didn't lose an ounce. Three weeks ago the scale started moving again. Just make sure you're accurately logging your food, weighing, measuring etc.

^^ good advice
  • joleenl
    Options
    I am very active (in the Army) and my caloric intake is only 1200 calories a day. I get stuck every once in a while and I found that a quick way to jump start my fat burn is to shock my system. I still only do 1200 calories a day but cut out all carbs for a day or two. Then splurge on carbs and cut something else. Don't let your body get used to what you are doing. If you jog everyday do hills instead of your normal route or do sprints instead of distance. Let me know how it works for you.

^^ not so good advice
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Have you calculated what your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is and then you are eating 15% below?

The reason I ask is because if you are like the typical/average woman and burn at least 2200 calories a day, then eating 15% below is 1870 calories a day. And if you eat back your exercise calories to maintain that 15% then you will be eating more than 1870. (If you "build in" your exercise calories into your TDEE then it would be higher and the 15% cut would be higher than 1870).

So if for example you dieted on 1200 calories then "upped" your calories to only 1500 a day, your body doesn't see much difference between 1200 and 1500 in the sense that they are both inadequate. There isn't really a ramping effect where by you get a little more weight loss results as you get a little higher in calories. Your body is a mechanism. It has "states" or modes that are controlled by hormones and chemical signals. You can't inch your way into a different mode. You are either there are you aren't.

Couple of things to keep in mind:
    * You are getting close to your goal weight. Weight loss is slower as you get closer.
    * You are trying to lose a small amount, only 10% of your body weight (152 --> 135). So 15% deficit is too high for you. You will get the best results eating no less than 10% below your TDEE.

I tried to calculate your TDEE for you, but I don't know your activity level or your bodyfat %, so this will not be super-accurate:
    * Estimation of your BMR 1367 (its not hard to get tested btw, you can get RMR testing at most gyms)
    * Estimation of your TDEE based on Moderately Activie is 2119 (a BodyMedia Fit or a Fitbit device will give you true TDEE)
    * 10% cut below would be 1907 calories

If indeed 1907 calories is 10% below your true TDEE, then its not surprising that you are not getting results eating at 1600 calories, which is 300 calories too low.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I do not know how some people manage 1200 calories a day; when I drop below about 1700 I am ready to eat my own arm.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You have to calculate your personal TDEE. 1500 might be off (either over or under, my guess is still under).
    Make sure you're measuring everything too.
  • joleenl
    Options
    Im sure you've already heard this, but it's not necessarily how MANY calories, but the TYPE of calories--if that makes sense. I'm no professional, and I'm only speaking from personal experience (I'm training for figure competitions); however, if you fill your day with odd macronutrients, then you will definitely FEEL like your body starving, even when technically 1200 calories won't necessarily put you in starvation mode.

I can't see your food diary so I'm not certain what your day looks like, but 2 rules of thumb I SWEAR by:
    1. Fill up on protein in the morning, and it's okay to have good carbs. I know everyone hears this day in and day out, but it's sooo true and vital to not feeling like you're killing yourself as the day progresses. My typical breakfast is: 2 egg whites, 1 cup special k (or 3/4 c special k protein) with 1 cup unsweetened almond milk.
    2. Eat every 2-3 hours--trust me...if you beat your body to the "hungry" feeling, it'll do wonders for both your mental AND physical state.

Feel free to ask any questions--I've run the gamut of highs and lows and know what works for me--so if I can help just a little, I'm happy to do so!

^^ umm no.

A calorie is a calorie. A calorie deficit makes you lose weight. However, eating good whole food is better for you nutritionally and will keep you full longer. It'll also cut down on cravings.

Less is not more in terms of calories. You probably aren't eating enough.

My advice is. Find your TDEE and eat -10 to 15% of it (Because you don't have much less to lose). There are two ways to calculate your TDEE: One that takes exercise into account automatically and one you eat your calories back. Be patient after changing your habits, it takes time. Also weight loss will be slower the closer you get to your goals.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I tried eating back my exercise calories and I would gain every time.

Probably because your metabolism slowed down?
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I don't "count" calories. But I usually stay around 1300-1600. I don't eat any sugar (unless from fruit) no grain, little to no dairy, nothing processed. I'm rarely 'starving'. Yes I get hungry, just not that over whelming want to eat eat eat.
  • ShmareParks
    ShmareParks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I tend to lose in spurts, and then hit month-long plateaus. Each time I hit a plateau, I incorporate green tea into my day (like 3 to 4 large cups a day) and then that week I start losing again. Maybe it's coincidence and I would have started losing anyway, but it seems to me that green tea tells my metabolism to HURRY UP ALREADY. (And if it doesn't work, at least you're getting all those nice anti-oxidants.)
  • GroMorPlant
    Options
    I've been working on weight loss for years, and I finally was able to lose the weight in the past 6 months. I'm down to 136lb at 5'6. What worked for me was just getting over wanting to eat 'tasty' stuff, and retraining myself to see food as fuel and nutrition and less as taste. Maybe not everyone is able to do this, somehow I just sucked it up, got a little bit of self control, and did it. and i lost 30 lbs. Of course its hard at first, but the more you do of something, (good or bad) the more you want. so the healthier you eat the healthier you want to eat. I know how hard losing weight is because i struggled with it for years. But just sharing what finally worked for me!! Nothing ever tastes as good as skinny feels!
  • coolbonkers
    Options
    if you just started working out within the last few months your body may be doing what mine did. I was actually loosing fat but gaining muscle. All I was doing was a dance fitness vid and the scale never moved. I didn't realize I was actually loosing that dreaded fat so desperately wanted gone because I was still the same weight. I tried low cal 1200 and I relapsed in a major way. I felt starved and sad. I binged on every junk food I could get my hands on. After about a week of self pity I stopped and started eating like a normal person. I chose not to change my diet. I ate what I wanted and in a smaller but still decent portion each meal and I even added snacks. heres is the weird part. I gained 40 lbs BUT I lost almost 6 inches. went from a size 18 to a size 10. Don't worry about the number on the scale muscle weighs more then fat. and its just a number. Don't count calories but also don't eat a lot of fast foods or junk foods. Eat slightly smaller portions unti lyou train your stomach to handle that then make it slightly smaller again. I saw better results in my body even though I gained weight it was healthy weight. Look at your clothes do they fit better? maybe a little loose? Don't weigh yourself just enjoy a healthier you.
  • brightflashes
    Options
    I might be completely wrong, but since it hasn't been said, have you considered that maybe you are gaining more muscle because of physical activity that you have added, even if it isn't strength-building? I really agree with the person who said to just wait a little while for the lifestyle to catch up to your body. It sounds like you are eating very healthily. I'm not good at the plateaus either. I feel discouraged by them, but just knowing that I'm determined to be healthier helps.