Having some digestive issues...need advice.

Options

Replies

• egwene1977
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the RA and other medical issues. I have an autoimmune disorder that occassionally (for fun) attacks my intestines, so my weight can fluctuate down quickly with no regard for the amount of calories I eat.

My doctor recommended yogurt (and you are not opposed to dairy, so that's good), just go for the full fat stuff since you also probably need more fat and also acidophilus tablets. Easily available over the counter in drug stores, and seems to have helped me. Take one with every meal. It can cause bloating at first though, but does "regulate" things. If you are low on healthy fats, try taking fish oil supplements too.

Coffee helps me too (although I'm not opposed to the bad stuff and drink diet mountain dew and diet red bull :-p )

Oh, and CONGRATS on your weight loss. Being that consistent and doing so well while also dealing with what RA gives you is quite an accomplishment. Best of luck!

Thank you! It's been a long time coming, and the fact that I've been able to get this weight off while still having chronic health issues has made me a true believer in lifestyle changes. I'm so sorry that you continue to have issues with your condition...autoimmune diseases are like fighting our own private wars every day. People without them do NOT understand ("but you don't LOOK sick...."). I feel that if I didn't have these issues, I probaby would have dropped more weight right now, but I"m happy with the progress I'm making.

I'll look into the acidophilus tablets, if the added guac doesn't do the trick :) Best of luck to you too!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I used to have a really bloated tummy, and found my digestion was awful despite eating ridiculous amounts of fruit, but I began to drink Green tea every morning, and usually have ginger tea throughout the day. At night I drink another tea (mainly chamomile) and ever since I started the regime I noticed straight away my bloated tummy reduced in size, and now I literally have no bloating at all! I swear by green and ginger tea! Try it!

Green tea is awesome for reducing bloat...perhaps the diuretic properties? I always found that the more fruit I ate, the worse my digestive issues...everyone's different tho :)

Fruit begins to ferment in the gut..........hence the digestion issues.

i agree with the poster that stated to add the fermented foods to your menu.............

Bad digestion = bad gut flora (gut bacteria is out of whack). That is how simple it is and your magnesium may be a bit on the low side, which can cause constipation.

It has nothing to do with the amount of calories...............She is eating simple, fresh whole foods. Therefore her calories will look lower, but she is eating a LOT of food for those calories, so she is no way starving herself. It's not about calories at all.........it is the quality of the food you eat, not some arbitrary number for quantity. jeesh

So, OP...............Up your water and fat intake and the constipation will be a thing of the past...........then you need to add in fermented foods to repair your gut flora and get things back in balance.
  • egwene1977
    Options
    I used to have a really bloated tummy, and found my digestion was awful despite eating ridiculous amounts of fruit, but I began to drink Green tea every morning, and usually have ginger tea throughout the day. At night I drink another tea (mainly chamomile) and ever since I started the regime I noticed straight away my bloated tummy reduced in size, and now I literally have no bloating at all! I swear by green and ginger tea! Try it!

Green tea is awesome for reducing bloat...perhaps the diuretic properties? I always found that the more fruit I ate, the worse my digestive issues...everyone's different tho :)

i agree with the poster that stated to add the fermented foods to your menu.............

Bad digestion = bad gut flora (gut bacteria is out of whack). That is how simple it is and your magnesium may be a bit on the low side, which can cause constipation.

It has nothing to do with the amount of calories...............She is eating simple, fresh whole foods. Therefore her calories will look lower, but she is eating a LOT of food for those calories, so she is no way starving herself. It's not about calories at all.........it is the quality of the food you eat, not some arbitrary number for quantity. jeesh

So, OP...............Up your water and fat intake and the constipation will be a thing of the past...........then you need to add in fermented foods to repair your gut flora and get things back in balance.

Thank you! I see that you're on the Paleo path too...I didn't think I could live without my pasta, but I don't even miss it.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Also - you said this is your lifestyle now - so you plan to eat low carb forever? and what do you think you will eat at maintenance?

I have been wondering about that myself. I might add in more beans and such, but my doctor is a believer in the Wheat Belly theory, and she seems to be on to something. I'll also eat full-fat whenever possible, and probably add in a handful of almonds as necessary. Ice cream is still a weakness of mine, so I'll allow that from time to time, just not go overboard.

What do others eat at maintenance? I wasn't exactly a heavy eater before, and the only difference seems to be that I was eating more carbs back then, and wasn't active enough.

I ate a maintenance plan for myself all winter long............no grains either.

It looked something like this:

Breakfast: Home ground sausage patty, 3 eggs fried in coconut oil, coffee and banana

Lunch: meat and veggies (usually leftovers from the night before)

Supper: Meat, veggies and a sweet potato with grass fed butter, cinnamon and a drizzle of honey.

I stayed the same weight all winter eating similar to this.

Now, I am back to weight loss mode and I cut out the banana (replaced with berries) and the sweet potato.
  • chercee
    chercee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with a lot of gut issues - I still do, though it's getting better. I've found that going for a good walk for about an hour helps get things moving along, compared to other types of activity.

Also, maybe try adding some hemp hearts to your diet. They are a great form of protein, and I've found they've made a big difference in my regularity. Just don't start out with too much (maybe a tsp or two a day, then increase slowly) or else you'll give yourself the opposite problem! And if you do add them, make sure you're being consistent with your water - really important.

Also, here is a recipe I use for when my digestion needs a boost, or I just feel a bit bloated:

Digestive Smoothie
    1 banana
    1 pear
    3 fresh mint leaves
    1-2 tbsp hemp hearts
    1 quick splash of maple syrup
    1 cup cold water

Blend and drink! If it's your first go-round with this smoothie, don't put 1-2 tbsp of hemp hearts, as I said. Start smaller, and say close to the loo.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Thank you! I see that you're on the Paleo path too...I didn't think I could live without my pasta, but I don't even miss it.

Pasta is easy to live without when you have zucchini and spaghetti squash. :love: :love:

Bread is easy to live without when you have romaine lettuce, napa cabbage to make meat roll ups. :love: :love: :love:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I missed the part about RA - look into the work by Dr. Jonathan Wright - he treats people with RA by restoring proper gut function. amazing stuff.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You're clearly not eating enough fibre and wholegrains. You are packed full of protein, it's no wonder you're constipated. Where is the wholemeal bread or wholewheat pasta or brown rice? These foods are not your enemy in fact they are essential for a balanced healthy diet and are good for your heart and digestive system. You only need a small amount with each meal and you will notice the difference.
    Linseeds are also good sprinkled on soups and salads
  • egwene1977
    Options
    I missed the part about RA - look into the work by Dr. Jonathan Wright - he treats people with RA by restoring proper gut function. amazing stuff.

I'll do that, thank you!
  • egwene1977
    Options
    You're clearly not eating enough fibre and wholegrains. You are packed full of protein, it's no wonder you're constipated. Where is the wholemeal bread or wholewheat pasta or brown rice? These foods are not your enemy in fact they are essential for a balanced healthy diet and are good for your heart and digestive system. You only need a small amount with each meal and you will notice the difference.

My doctor advised me to avoid grains altogether.
  • lisamarie1780
    Options

My doctor advised me to avoid grains altogether.

Not to be too nosey... but why would he advise you to eat no grains whatsoever?
  • egwene1977
    Options
    She believes that modern grains are so GMO-fortified that they no longer have the same benefits that our ancestors' grains had. I've lost 44 pounds by following her advice (and literally walking my butt off), so I don't really want to change that.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options

not for all of us... I cut out the whole grains and have a whole new lease on life ....but to each their own.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    PROBIOTICS
  • egwene1977
    Options
    PROBIOTICS

I'm confused...according to WebMD, probiotics are for diarrhea, not constipation. I definitely don't have that problem.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    PROBIOTICS

I'm confused...according to WebMD, probiotics are for diarrhea, not constipation. I definitely don't have that problem.

nope. probiotics give your body the good bacteria which is good for digestion. i take a chewable form of acidophilus 3 times per day. it helps to keep you regular which in turn helps with the bloated look as well :)
  • lisamarie1780
    Options
    She believes that modern grains are so GMO-fortified that they no longer have the same benefits that our ancestors' grains had. I've lost 44 pounds by following her advice (and literally walking my butt off), so I don't really want to change that.

'She believes'....?

I would definitely be interested to read the evidence that supports this claim

I also have to say that weight loss doesn't always equal good health .... there are plenty of unhealthy skinny people out there who are doing untold damage to their bodies by following fad diets and not eating near enough nutrients. These things may work in the short term but don't always look so great in the longer term healthwise. There are also plenty of people who have dropped serious amount of pounds but have not done it correctly and end up piling twice as much back on. Your body is already showing signs of distress through the constant bloating and constipation.

Everything in moderation.... I would always be wary of a diet or person that tells you to cut something out entirely (especially something that the body needs) without seeing strong evidence in support of it .... but as was said above...each to their own
  • egwene1977
    Options

I would definitely be interested to read the evidence that supports this claim

Have you ever read the book "Wheat Belly"? Lots of interesting information in there. I've had this constipation issue for several years, to be perfectly honest (even when I was eating whole wheat pasta and "healthy" grains). Sometimes it's more apparent than others...this is one of those times.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I had a detoxifying tea the other day because I was having this problem. I'm not a huge believer in doing a "detox" but my birthday was last weekend and I think the celebrating (alcohol and waaaay too much food) really threw my system for a loop. Anyways, I think the tea kind of helped get everything moving again within about 30 minutes.

*I used Arbonne brand detox tea with a teaspoon of honey, it's Vegan (certified organic, caffeine free etc)
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Try drinking a cup of coffee in the morning. I add a capfull of Miralax to mine as recommended by my Gyno. It works :)