My body refuses to be fooled - is this possible?

Options
2»

Replies

• joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    First attempt at weight loss, Weight Watchers, I lost 50 lbs. in a relatively short amount of time, 6 months. Had a baby, several months later went on WW again - followed a similar WW plan as before and lost 20 lbs. Fell off the wagon again, gained, tried WW again, lost 6 lbs. Keeping in mind that I ultimately returned to the weight I was before the first WW loss, and then some. Sooooo, I've tried various things like low carb diets, the 17 Day Diet - which is minimal carbs for the first 17 days and then going through various cycles of "tricking" your body over 2 more phases.
    I think my body is tricked out. My body doesn't seem to be "falling for it" anymore. Is that possible? I eat very healthy, drink a ton of water and I jog/walk/circuit train for at least an hour every single day. Not losing an ounce.
    I started MFP, I religiously track every single thing that goes into my mouth (I'm getting WAYYYYYY too much sodium, which I'm now starting to cut back on). I eat lots of white chicken, fish, tons of healthy veggies, approx. a gallon of water a day, a small amount of carbs but haven't cut them out completely. I just don't eat anything "white" except the white meats.

Any suggestions? Is it possible that my body is fed up with me tricking it?

it's pretty obvious to me that you really have no idea how/why your body gains or loses weight.

it's all about the calories. how much water you drink or not is irrelevant. what you eat is irrelevant. how long or how often you work out is largely irrelevant.

what matters is this... calories out > calories in.

the point of logging is to know whether or not you are meeting this relationship. you must log accurately though.

the first step is to understand your BMR and TDEE and what these are. once you do that, you can set yourself an appropriate calorie goal. then you can worry about meeting your macros. this is what determines your food choices. forget all that nonsense about "good" food or "bad" food or "healthy" food or "unhealthy" food.

get started here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

start reading. start learning. then put what you've learned into action.

the laws of physics cannot be changed and ultimately, your body MUST adhere to these laws. if you eat fewer calories than you expend, day in and day out, you will lose weight.

^^AMEN
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Listen to Winner. It's all in the name.

Listen to winner and Concrete...it's all in the name.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Instead of trying to trick your body, why don't you instead try following a tried and true method of weightloss: Calculating your bodies caloric needs and eating a reasonable deficit, tracking tne calories that you are consuming instead of an arbitrary point system, and follow an exercise plan.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    A healthy diet is more than just eating "healthy foods". It includes eating the right amount of calories and nutrients. Enough to fuel your body but not so much that you gain weight. Eating too low for a long time can lower your metabolism and make weight loss harder because what once was a calorie deficit may now be surplus or maintenance.

My advice is to stop with gimmicks and fad diets and just eat for nutrition. Eat protein, fat and carbs. Eat a variety of vegetables and fruits. Limit sugar and sodium and make your grains whole grains. Eat foods you enjoy. Food shouldn't be a trick. It should be fuel. Delicious, satiating fuel.
  • vkc1978
    vkc1978 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Do you use a scale to track how much you eat, or just guestimate?

I finally saw positive movement on the human scale after buying a food scale.

I also agree with this. Many people guestimate on food and calories burned. I definitely saw better results after buying a food scale to accurately measure food and a Heart Rate Monitor (I have Polar FT7) to accurately count my calories burned. You can't always rely on the figures in MFP or on a cardio machine at the gym. They are just estimates most times.

yep, i agree with these, but ill add that you can periodically check your own heart rate at times during your workout if you dont have the funds yet to invest in a HRM. After doing this for a long time youll begin to kinda of know what it feels like when youre at 40/60/80%.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I can't see your food diary so I can't comment on what you are eating. But it is time to stop the gimmick diets. Weight loss isn't about a diet. It is about a lifestyle change. What ever you do to lose weight needs to be something you plan to sustain for the rest of your life. You can't just go back to "normal" eating once you hit your goal weight or you just gain it all back.

This. Gimmick diets will do nothing but frustrate you. Get away from them! Don't do anything to lose weight that you aren't willing to do for the rest of your life.
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I love it when people ask for help, and then never come back! Makes me all warm and fuzzy feeling...
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Instead of trying to trick your body, why don't you instead try following a tried and true method of weightloss: Calculating your bodies caloric needs and eating a reasonable deficit, tracking tne calories that you are consuming instead of an arbitrary point system, and follow an exercise plan.

This. Stop the nonsense. Eat right - move more.