just bought my first tub of protein powder!

Options
Bought a big tub of Vega Protein Powder. I like the company and that all the ingredients are natural.
I am vegetarian and using MFP I can see that it is hard for me to meet even 55g of protein per day.
I am also ALWAYS hungry, even at 1800 calories, which is about what I have been averaging lately, with eating healthy small portions of food when I am hungry, including small treats which I need to enjoy my life!
Hopefully this protein powder will help with feeling feel and my overall health.

Replies

• missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    welcome to the club. i used to also use Vega when i started out and it is delicious but just didnt work for my particular needs.

i currently am a big fan of bsn syntha 6 for my whey protein as well as anabolic halo by muscle tech

at night i use bodytech casein protein.

you may want to work in a casein/whey protein blend if you find yourself feeling hungry very fast. casein takes longer to digest = feeling fuller longer.

i also am a big fan of casein at night an hour or so before bed.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What is the texture like? I used to use whey but it made me somewhat constipated even with a high fiber diet and always put me way over on calcium, so I stopped using it. I tried brown rice protein powder but it was disgustingly gritty.

I just started eating more edamame to up my protein, but wouldn't mind the convenience of a powder if I could find one that tasted good and met my goals.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    What is the texture like? I used to use whey but it made me somewhat constipated even with a high fiber diet and always put me way over on calcium, so I stopped using it. I tried brown rice protein powder but it was disgustingly gritty.

I just started eating more edamame to up my protein, but wouldn't mind the convenience of a powder if I could find one that tasted good and met my goals.

vega is a very thick texture and good for the person who is more concerned with taste - more of a shake consistancy whereas some other whey will be a bit more chalky and thin when mixed with water. i personally like syntha 6 and muscle milk light but MML is a bit high in fat content. it all depends on what you mix with and how much water to powder ratio as well.

thicker shake? mix with more almond milk, less water, more ice
    t