Exercise at home for beginners with 100lbs to lose?

Options
13»

Replies

• Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    i started using the Wii Fit Plus... love it. and even though the balance board has a 300lb limit, there is a workound where it can still be used on youtube...

this is what I started with too, my Wii. I have several fun games that I use to get my heartrate up, like Wii Fitness Coach where I can do low imact, easy aerobics, and Wii Just Dance, because I really love to dance and it's super fun. I also have the Wii Sport and love to do the boxing challenges on it and it seriously gets my heart rate up there!

Find something you like because that's what you'll stick with.

And once you're in a better place mentally, do try the pool again. I went to the pool for the first time as a 285lb woman and it was intimidating as hell but after the first time I realized nobody was looking at me and if they were I didn't notice them. I use a snorkel (as I don't really know how to breathe and swim at the same time) so I put my face in the water, swim laps for 45 minutes, get out and wrap a towel around me and go change. All I see is the bottom of the pool and the occasional body swimming by. My swimsuit exposure to the public is minimal and I just had to learn that this wasn't about them, this was about ME and I needed this. I wasn't going to let anybody intimidate me or stop me. I hope you reach that place soon because it really is about you.
  • prudism
    prudism Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds

I do this and its easy I started with the 1 mile and now I am on the 2/3mile depending on energy levels I found its a 100 calorie loss per mile e.g 1mile 100cal 2miles 200 cals etc.
  • chelseasunrise
    Options
    I haven't gone through all of the answers here so I'm not sure that anyone has suggested it. But would you be able to get a wii and wii fit board? There is some yoga, strength and cardio exercises on the wii game and there are a number of other games which would definitely get you moving as well. If that doesn't sound like something you would do I really think a good place to start is just walking. Maybe just go for a long walk?
  • icetopaz
    icetopaz Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone through all of the answers here so I'm not sure that anyone has suggested it. But would you be able to get a wii and wii fit board? There is some yoga, strength and cardio exercises on the wii game and there are a number of other games which would definitely get you moving as well. If that doesn't sound like something you would do I really think a good place to start is just walking. Maybe just go for a long walk?

Thanks for the suggestion - I haven't got the money at the moment, but I've heard that the Wii is really good.
  • icetopaz
    Options
    Just to update, for the first time I tried Leslie Sansone's 1 Mile Walk on youtube today and I'll definitely be doing it again. Its at just the right level - thanks ever so much to all those who suggested it.

I'll also definitely be revisiting this thread in the future, to look at other exercises to try.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Just to update, for the first time I tried Leslie Sansone's 1 Mile Walk on youtube today and I'll definitely be doing it again. Its at just the right level - thanks ever so much to all those who suggested it.

I'll also definitely be revisiting this thread in the future, to look at other exercises to try.

You do understand that all cardio is going to do for you is increase your deficit? This is great if you want to eat more to compensate and maintain the hopefully healthy deficit MFP (or whatever program you're using to determine your target calories) has set for you...but otherwise it's kind of useless for your goals. Cardio doesn't burn fat, it burns calories. What your body pulls those calories from with no other input is going to be a mix of what it determines to be useless lean mass (usually skeletal muscle), and fat. You're doing yourself no favors (though your scale will tell you you are) if you don't perform some sort of low rep, high intensity resistance training. For the overweight (or anyone else really...though it becomes more difficult to maintain the intensity as you become more fit), the most readily available source of resistance is your own body.

I never understand why people are unwilling to understand or accept this proven fact when they start off. Is it that it appears to be too difficult? Too much effort or work? I really don't know...but it would save them a WHOLE lot more effort and work in the long term (specifically having to go back and correct the 'cardio' mistake) if they'd start the resistance training from the beginning.

Also, I know the above sounds negative, but I'm trying to make a point. If it doesn't stick for you...maybe someone else who reads this thread will catch on and save themselves that extra effort and work. I wish you the best though, and luck in your efforts.

ETA~

This is exactly what I'm talking about...since sometimes a visual has more impact than text. For the record...the picture shows the results of three months of the above listed bodyweight program along with ZERO cardio (other than 5-10 minutes of warmup pre workout). This is what roughly three hours a week of high intensity resistance training, eating at a moderate deficit, and no cardio will get you.

40lbs of pure bodyfat gone.

2012-10-23063957-1.jpg
  • sherpar
    sherpar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Look up Aquabella Aquatard. Maybe this is a swimsuit that you would feel comfotable wearing to lower anxiety.
  • icetopaz
    Options

You do understand that all cardio is going to do for you is increase your deficit? This is great if you want to eat more to compensate and maintain the hopefully healthy deficit MFP (or whatever program you're using to determine your target calories) has set for you...but otherwise it's kind of useless for your goals. Cardio doesn't burn fat, it burns calories. What your body pulls those calories from with no other input is going to be a mix of what it determines to be useless lean mass (usually skeletal muscle), and fat. You're doing yourself no favors (though your scale will tell you you are) if you don't perform some sort of low rep, high intensity resistance training. For the overweight (or anyone else really...though it becomes more difficult to maintain the intensity as you become more fit), the most readily available source of resistance is your own body.

I never understand why people are unwilling to understand or accept this proven fact when they start off. Is it that it appears to be too difficult? Too much effort or work? I really don't know...but it would save them a WHOLE lot more effort and work in the long term (specifically having to go back and correct the 'cardio' mistake) if they'd start the resistance training from the beginning.

Also, I know the above sounds negative, but I'm trying to make a point. If it doesn't stick for you...maybe someone else who reads this thread will catch on and save themselves that extra effort and work. I wish you the best though, and luck in your efforts.

ETA~

This is exactly what I'm talking about...since sometimes a visual has more impact than text. For the record...the picture shows the results of three months of the above listed bodyweight program along with ZERO cardio (other than 5-10 minutes of warmup pre workout). This is what roughly three hours a week of high intensity resistance training, eating at a moderate deficit, and no cardio will get you.

40lbs of pure bodyfat gone.

2012-10-23063957-1.jpg

Thanks very much for taking time to explain about the need for resistance training. Its late at night and I've just come here before bed but will check back to try and fnd out more about what resistance training involves. To be honest I felt really motivated, but after only a few days of exercise I got rather shocked when some wrinkled loose skin appeared on my thighs - I think I must have lost a couple of llbs. I don't know why its come off my thighs and appeared so suddenly, when my weight really needs to come off my tummy. After this happened I just stopped what I was doing and have been very scared that it will get worse - as I still have 100lbs to lose. I know its a bit of a different issue - but I wondered if its related in any way to doing cardio as opposed to resistance/strength training.
  • icetopaz
    Options
    Look up Aquabella Aquatard. Maybe this is a swimsuit that you would feel comfotable wearing to lower anxiety.

Thanks very much for the suggestion - take care.
  • MichelleMinus100
    Options
    I completely relate to you, icetopaz, in trying to find the right thing for you.

I just couldn't MOVE very well when I started my journey. There was no way I could: do stairs, bend over, twist, bounce, lunge, pushups or do many movements. I've been on the lookout for two years for things I can do.

In Jan 2012, I started by walking to the mailbox. When I measured it on MapMyWalk.com, it was .01 miles (that's 53 feet or about 16 meters)! I didn't go to bed until I walked to the mailbox and back-every day. That's what I could do (barely). I didn't go to pick up the mail, I just did my walk everyday.

After a few weeks, I started going past the mailbox. My mailbox and home were located in a neighborhood/development with sidewalks. My mailbox was at the bottom of a very steep, but short, slope. I started challenging myself to walk up it. And then after that I started to challenge myself to walk to the next cul-de-sac...and the next.

I kept my habit of walking every day, every day, every day. And I kept extending myself little by little. My goal was to make sure it wasn't so strenuous that I didn't want to do it, so I took it really slow. My short term goal was developing the habit and doing the activity.

In Jan 2013, (one year later) I was walking 1.7 miles per day(!) When we went on vacations, my body just wanted to walk each morning! My sister was pretty shocked and said, "Who are you"!? When we moved, it totally derailed my intensity and progress.

In Mar 2013, we moved to a more rural location. No sidewalks. I had to find my solution because walking on the shoulder of a busy rural road with dogs barking is not comfortable nor safe. I ended up driving to a neighborhood with sidewalks to take up my walking again.

In Nov 2013, it was too dark in the morning to walk, so I started doing the health bounce on our rebounder/trampoline.

I'm on this thread because I'm looking for the next step to add to my walking. My routine now includes walking, rebounding health bounce and I'm able to do a 5 minute warm up video on YouTube that I started two weeks ago. I know what I really need to burn fat is to GET STRONG, exactly what crisanderson2 is talking about and that is my next step to find out how to find a workout that I can actually do at home. Right now I'm reading "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" by Tony Venuto.

I'm amazed at what I can do now that about two years ago, I couldn't even IMAGINE doing! It all started with a short, daily trip to my mailbox!

The Fitness Blender Easy Warm Up Cardio Workout is 5 minutes with 10 exercises, each 30 seconds in duration and I modify where I need to.
    http://youtu.be/R0mMyV5OtcM