My food diary, how's my eating plan?

Options
So I always go to the gym and never really log all of my exercised except cardio, I lift weights for about 40 minutes. 5-6 times a week. I actually started dieting last june at 447 and am down to 352-353. Recently I really got into healthy eating, but I'm eating alot, still not really getting many calories, mostly egg whites and chicken. I hope the path I'm on really pays off, these last few days I've changed up what I eat everyday and I'm going to stick with this diet now. Even though I'm eating a lot do you guys think that what I'm eating will pay off for weight loss. Even picked up whey protein! Also, will to much protein make me gain weight rather than lose it? I'm kind of really confused when it comes to all the macro nutrients stuff. Take a look at my diary and let me know what you think.

Replies

• MistressAella
    MistressAella Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dude, lol, but I've been making my husband's meal/nutrition plans for a long time now and it's been working wonderfully. He wants to cut fat and build some muscle so his needs are different, but I think you really need to be eating more. I know it seems like a lot when you start to eat healthier food, but honestly, I'm eating more than you are (I'm still increasing my calories) and I'm still losing. What does your training routine look like? Are you including enough rest days for the work you are putting in? You need at least 24 hours in between working the same muscle group :)
    If you are looking for more of a structured lifting routine, check out bodybuilding(dot)com. I'm a member (it's free) and it has a lot of good information and lifting programs as well as good videos and such to help you nail down form.

Scoobysworkshop(dot)com would really help you understand what your calorie and macro needs would be. On average they suggest around 1gram of protein per pound of body weight. Scooby will automatically work that out for you. :) He's awesome!

small edit to above. 2 days is a pretty short time to gauge an "eating plan" ;)
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Great job with your weight loss so far!! Some of your meals seem pretty small, for example peanut butter and almonds for dinner. There is a great magazine called Clean Eating that has a two week meal plan in every issue. The days vary from 1400-1800 calories. These may help you get some ideas about healthy eating.
  • wldrose75
    wldrose75 Posts: 128
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to MFP. First of all, great job on losing 95 lbs so far. That's awesome, and you should be very proud of yourself.

As for what you've been eating... I'm not an expert at this and will never claim to be :happy: , but... You should really be eating more veggies. Their vitamins are good for you. Also, yeah you need to be eating more calories. Try to get as close to your goal calories as you can. An extra couple tablespoons of PB, a 1/4 almonds, a couple ounces of cheese... You don't have to take in a lot of food to get a lot of calories, just more calorie dense stuff. You do need to count the calories you burn during your lifting exercise as well as cardio (and eat them back) unless that's already figured into your lifestyle/activity level settings. Nope, eating too much protein won't make you gain weight, not if you're eating at a calorie deficit.

One thing I want to caution you about is changing your eating habits too drastically too quickly. I do applaud you that you want to eat healthily. I don't know what you were eating before starting MFP so this may not apply to you, but if a person tries to do a complete overhaul all in one day, they usually end up quitting and going back to their old ways because its just too much too soon. Take it in small steps, and if you really want to splurge on something unhealthy go ahead and do it, just do it in moderation and make sure it fits into your calorie count.

Best of luck to you.
  • patmonlan
    Options
    Do you mean to tell me that my diary can be looked at ? Please someone, anyone feel free to look at mine and see if I'm on the right track. The first week was done from memory. The second week I started to get on tracki, and the third week I feel like i'm doing better, but just not sure! Any input is appreciated!! I'd like to lose 2-4 week.:
  • MistressAella
    MistressAella Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Do you mean to tell me that my diary can be looked at ? Please someone, anyone feel free to look at mine and see if I'm on the right track. The first week was done from memory. The second week I started to get on tracki, and the third week I feel like i'm doing better, but just not sure! Any input is appreciated!! I'd like to lose 2-4 week.:

You have to change your food diary settings to "Public" before someone can look at it :) also 2-4 pounds per week isn't a healthy or realistic goal to set for yourself. At first you can drop "weight" that surpasses the recommended 1-2 pounds/week, but that's mostly water weight and your body trying to adapt to the calories you are giving it.

Secondly, although a lot of the battle is fought in the kitchen, it's also important to incorporate exercise into the equation. Weight lifting is a phenomenal way of changing your body shape for the better :) Mix in a little cardio and some patience and you'll be set. :D