Describe your perfect gym.

Options
Hello,
I want to eventually open my own fitness studio and was hoping to do some direct market research.
What do you look for in a gym? What is important? What kind of aesthetics are important? Do you like classes better or doing your own thing?

Thank you! I hope you take a minute to respond.

Personally I like a wide open strength-training area, a separate stretching area, good treadmills, and a nice clean studio for classes. And cleanliness is super important, especially in the locker room.

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    My gym is the best!! They have 3 areas, a personal training studio, a regular gym area with weights, machines, treadmills, and ellipticals, and a Crossfit warehouse space.

I personally like it better because it is no nonsense in the gym area, there aren't a bunch of newbies wandering around getting trained (no offense but they get in the way when I'm trying to get my workout on) and they have atleast one of everything.

I also like kettlebells, they are good to have.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i hate the loud music! most people listen to their own anyways and its obnoxious when i can hear the gym's music over my own headphones =/
    and yes to kettlebells! my gym doesn't have them and i asked about getting some and got shut down with some silly corporate policy excuse

i hate my gym haha
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my gym must have
    - adequate weight training equipment including power racks, olympic bars, weight plates .
    - keep the free weight section open and little bit apart of the weight machines
    - if there's going to be KBs then it would be great if there were sizes over a pood (approx 36 pounds). seems like most places top out at 35 pounds and look at you strange when you ask if they can gt a heavier size
    - save a corner for a heavy bag and/or speed bag
    - lots of space for stretching and floor exercises, preferably space that separated from other things so you dont have to worry about being stepped on because you're too close to weight machines or stepping on someone.
    one things that an old gym of mine did i thought was EXCELLENT was that you could go online and vote by hour for the type music you wanted to hear.
    - they frequently post club wide challenges where winners get free stuff. the challenges are things like how many classes can you go to in a month (you have to sign up before class),
    - as for as aesthetics , clean and simple is best

generally speaking i look for gyms where i feel as if i get what i pay for. i shell out 4times as much for my current gym as most people in my area pay, but i feel like i'm getting my money's worth : the staff are friendly but not imposing (especially the PTs), the bathrooms and common areas are ALWAYS clean, there are tags users can place on machines to show they are broken and it doesnt stay broken for long, there are always fresh clean towels, they dont send emails asking you to buy stuff but it's more educational content like recipe of the month, or telling you why massage is important in a fitness routine. they also have 1 or 2 visit appreciation days a quarter where there are nearby vendors with free healthy food and drinks. finally they have an award system where every time you visit you get a certain amount of points and after so many points you can exchange for stuff they sell.
  • krisbychiken
    krisbychiken Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    An empty one.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    My gym is fine..

There are always NFL players working out there.

However they need more squat racks and a pool. Oh and why is zumba offered so late?
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    childcare- my last gym was awesome , they had childcare it was 2.00 hour per child- per hour - max 2 hours, which for me was awesome. and if i was attending a class , it was only 1.00 hour - max 3 hours
  • RiesigJay
    RiesigJay Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Free weights only - no machines.

Lots of squat racks (so the guys who actually squat don't have to wait for the folks who curl in the squat rack)

Deadlifting station

A few cardio machines

Kettlebells

A steam room

Showers with curtains

Yoga classes

No music

EDIT:

I like Meshashesha2012's idea of speed balls and heavy bags
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    A mandatory rule where girls have to wear yoga pants
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    multiple squat racks and power cages. at least two of each.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I agree with the childcare. My wife and I would love to work out together more than we do, but we have to have a sitter come in now. When we were members at Gold's in another city, they had a great childcare area and a fitness program for kids. You may even want to lower the age limit a bit to allow parents to train their kids.

Also, remove the stupid rules, like "no chalk", and definitely have a power lifting area with bumper plates so dropping weights isn't an issue. If you're in the weight room and are there to lift, you shouldn't be so sensitive to a clang or two anyway.

I'd also say that if you do have personal trainers, make sure you hire ones who can actually teach people how to squat and deadlift. Heck, maybe even be able to teach how to snatch.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I agree with the childcare. My wife and I would love to work out together more than we do, but we have to have a sitter come in now. When we were members at Gold's in another city, they had a great childcare area and a fitness program for kids. You may even want to lower the age limit a bit to allow parents to train their kids.

Also, remove the stupid rules, like "no chalk", and definitely have a power lifting area with bumper plates so dropping weights isn't an issue. If you're in the weight room and are there to lift, you shouldn't be so sensitive to a clang or two anyway.

I'd also say that if you do have personal trainers, make sure you hire ones who can actually teach people how to squat and deadlift. Heck, maybe even be able to teach how to snatch.

I belong to Gold's Love their childcare... But they have so many rules.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    has weights
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I like Meshashesha2012's idea of speed balls and heavy bags

meshashesha has NOTHING to do with speedy balls.. i just wanted to point that out :laugh:
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to Bodies In Motion, and they had an entire room set up for kickboxing classes, with about 16 anchored heavy bags available. I LOVED that gym.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to Bodies In Motion, and they had an entire room set up for kickboxing classes, with about 16 anchored heavy bags available. I LOVED that gym.

My gym has something very similar. I personally don't use them, but they seem to be very popular.

Aside from a robust weight section, I love the fact that my gym is so clean...all the time. Although, I recently learned that the custodian actually lives IN the gym (he's got his own little room) so, there's that...
  • mtbardell2013
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! It's super helpful!
    I would never have thought of child-care because I don't have a kid (yet), but that is such a good idea! My old LA Fitness had it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Aside from a robust weight section, I love the fact that my gym is so clean...all the time. Although, I recently learned that the custodian actually lives IN the gym (he's got his own little room) so, there's that...

not gonna lie, that's just.....odd
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

yes1.jpg
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mfqcxv8Kct1rskynf_zpsd36d7b9d.gif
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I would kill for one that has an Oly platform...