Rotator Cuffs

Options
RhineDHP
RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
My cousin told me that rolling your shoulders back (as if to stick your chest out, or to better your posture) is bad for your rotator cuffs. Is that true?|

^rotator cuff noob..:huh:

Replies

• IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    My cousin told me that rolling your shoulders back (as if to stick your chest out, or to better your posture) is bad for your rotator cuffs. Is that true?|

^rotator cuff noob..:huh:

Does your cousin have a learning disability?
  • RhineDHP
    Options

Besides a deficiency in food boundaries (he keeps stealing whatever's on my plate whenever I go visit), he's of sound mind and body. I think thats advice he got from his football coach. I dunno.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Besides a deficiency in food boundaries (he keeps stealing whatever's on my plate whenever I go visit), he's of sound mind and body. I think thats advice he got from his football coach. I dunno.

So here's a bit of honest advice, arguments from authority (da coach) are logical fallacies. Nothing is true because someone real smart or important or rich said it; instead, if it turns out to be true then there are specific processes and mechanisms involved that render it true.

That said... what's the actual context of your question? Rolling your shoulders doing what? An exercise like shrugs perhaps? Just standing around waiting to buy ice cream? Rolling your shoulders because you don't care?
  • RhineDHP
    Options
    Mmm well a shrug is lifting your shoulders rather than rolling them. I dunno how else to explain it other than rolling your shoulders back as if to give yourself good posture.

You know that phrase "Head up, shoulders back, neck long" and such.

You know, forget I asked. I'm thinking the more reasonable question would be, what positions/stretches/exercises run the risk of you damaging your rotator cuffs?
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    your rotators have nothing to do with that movement. so i'm unsure exactly how it would stress them..

as for actually damaging them, pretty much anything that involves pushing you can run the risk of damage to them. Biggest culprits are machine bench press, and pushups/freeweights, etc where elbows are not tucked in.
  • acksaysbillthecat1
    Options
    It is the opposite, maybe he got confused. Poor posture does have negative consequences on the rotator cuff, so you do want to have good posture, shoulders back. Yes, your lats are involved with pulling down your scapula which may compress your rotator cuff, so it does go together. I am learning all about this since I tore my RC (supra, infra, and labrum).

I know 2 physical therapists who say the worst exercises for shoulders are the "military press", Also variations of overhead press (depending on how you do it) and the upright row.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Thread_NecroRD.jpg