Guestions for those who have had their gallbladder removed

I am on my 6th day after my gallbladder was removed. I am finding that I can't eat as much at each meal. I have been averaging 700 calories a day. I have two questions:

How long until eating like this sabotages my weight loss.

For those who have had their gallbladder out: will I have to eat small meals from here on out or am I just too soon after surgery?

Many thanks!

Replies

• Kellyanne822
    Kellyanne822 Posts: 38 Member
    I had mine out last August and I really had no appetite for a while after I had my gallbladder out (probably due to surgery/anesthetic). Soon, I got my appetite back and was able to eat normally again. I have no issues with food either being too greasy or fatty like a lot of people do so I guess I am lucky. Just take it easy and listen to your body. I stuck to low fat foods for a while afterwards until I knew how foods would affect me. Hope you have a quick and easy recovery - you are going to feel soooo much better!
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    I had mine out in 99 and to be honest I was afraid to eat after LOL - the not be able to eat does wear off however if I have a big meal (which I avoid now anyways) I need to drink warm liquid to help digest it or I will feel bloated and in pain :/

You are definitely too soon after surgery to be concerned. let yourself heal then get back on track..just be sure you do not lose your thought process and those calories you consume are healthy ones.
  • caitlyn012284
    caitlyn012284 Posts: 23 Member
    I had mine out about 16 years ago and I think my appetite came back after a week or two. I did, and still do have some issues eating greasy foods...TMI here, but if I eat fast food or say a greasy slice of pizza, I have about 20 minutes before I have to go to the rest room, even after this much time has passed. But, I have talked to others who weren't affected this way, so I think it will just depend on your body. Take the time to heal and hopefully you will start feeling much better very soon!! :)
  • SolanumSunrise
    SolanumSunrise Posts: 244 Member
    I'd say you are still recovering from surgery. I had my gall bladder out five years ago and it took me about three weeks to really get back on my feet, and while I was recovering I wasn't that hungry. Also, I found that anything fried, greasy or particularly fatty was difficult to digest and can give me problems even to this day although it has gotten a lot better. I have always been a grazer so I don't normally eat large meals but I don't have a problem eating a lot on special occasions.