Elevated liver enzymes from exercise?

Not sure if this is the correct forum but here we go:

Anyone ever show elevated liver enzymes on a FBC?

My liver enzymes werent elevated in October or August when I had a FBC done but now they are on my most recent test this month.

I've been looking around all morning on google trying to find answers and got linked to it possibly coming from strenious exercise.

Anyone have any experience with this?

As of right now my doctor has instructed me to stop the multi vitamin I'm taking and put a hault to all alcohol consumption for a month until another FBC.

Little background info:
-Male
-27 years old
-Avid drinker since highschool and the better part of my twenties. The last couple of years I have toned it down quite a bit but still binge drink (6 or more drinks a few times a month i'd say)
-I've lost 100 pounds since May 2012
-I've been heavy into exercise since August/September 2012

meh..The irony of my profile pic lol

Replies

• FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member

My liver enzymes werent elevated in October or August when I had a FBC done but now they are on my most recent test this month.

I've been looking around all morning on google trying to find answers and got linked to it possibly coming from strenious exercise.

As of right now my doctor has instructed me to stop the multi vitamin I'm taking and put a hault to all alcohol consumption for a month until another FBC.

Little background info:
    -Male
    -27 years old
    -Avid drinker since highschool and the better part of my twenties. The last couple of years I have toned it down quite a bit but still binge drink (6 or more drinks a few times a month i'd say)

Did you drink the day before the blood draw?
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    My liver enzymes tend to track my alcohol intake. Sounds like your alcohol use is more than high enough to affect yours; it doesn't take all that much to affect them. There are a lot of other things that can affect those enzymes including the various hepatitis strains and other liver problems... did your doctor discuss any of those possibilities with you?

Edited to add: Congratulations on your weight loss. I wonder how such a significant weight loss might affect liver enzymes?
  • jendarlin
    jendarlin Posts: 184 Member
    I had elevated liver enzymes, and rashes on my body, doctors were baffled. I am pretty sure now in hindsight it was linked to the multivitamin I was taking. Once I stopped it, everything cleared up.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member

Little background info:
    -Male
    -27 years old

Did you drink the day before the blood draw?

No. I had it done on Tuesday the 16th. I did drink on Saturday the 13th though :-)
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    My liver enzymes tend to track my alcohol intake. Sounds like your alcohol use is more than high enough to affect yours; it doesn't take all that much to affect them. There are a lot of other things that can affect those enzymes including the various hepatitis strains and other liver problems... did your doctor discuss any of those possibilities with you?

Edited to add: Congratulations on your weight loss. I wonder how such a significant weight loss might affect liver enzymes?

yeah it is probably high enough as the doctor told me so I'm just confused as to why they were normal back in October and August when my alcohol intake really hasn't changed since then.

Yes my doctor did go over various diseases it could possibly be :/

Thanks! I don't think weight loss has anything to do with it just thought that would be a good thing to add to background info lol :) oh and a hidden brag :P
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Sounds like it's high enough for your doctor to take it very seriously. I've never heard of exercise causing significant liver enzyme elevation. If you're drinking the same as when you weighed 100 lbs more, look at it this way, you have 100 lbs less of body to distribute that alcohol through. But I do know that exercise can affect blood test results, I was told not to exercise for 24 hrs before cholesterol tests. So it would probably be a good idea not to exercise for 24 hrs before your next test, but would also be healthy to get rid of the alcohol...empty carbs/calories.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    I had elevated liver enzymes, and rashes on my body, doctors were baffled. I am pretty sure now in hindsight it was linked to the multivitamin I was taking. Once I stopped it, everything cleared up.

When i told the doctor what i was taking he was disgusted. Naturemade multi complete FTL?
  • jendarlin
    jendarlin Posts: 184 Member

When i told the doctor what i was taking he was disgusted. Naturemade multi complete FTL?

Mine was GNC, but sometimes they can have too much of something that we don't need and that can cause harm or reactions. Hard to say. Just follow Drs orders and hopefully you'll get it figured out!