Picky eater DESPERATELY needs help and veggie ideas!

Options
2»

Replies

• jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    The hubby and I love roasted asparagus and if you get the thicker asparagus you'll still have some of the crunch left after you roast it. I love roasted veggies in general-if I make a pork loin I'll roast potatoes, onion, garlic, and butternut squash to go with it.

You could try other veggies and prepare them the way you would for those that you already like. So, since you like potatoes maybe you could try turnips and prepare them the way you would your potatoes (my mom and hubby actually prefer mashed turnips over mashed potatoes). You might also want to try parsnips-they look like carrots so texture wise you might like them.

Roasted fennel is good to...pretty much anything roasted is good :happy:

Sounds like there are some good tips to help you and I hope that I was able to help a little (sorry I wish I had more time to share more). Good luck and congrats on your progress!!!
  • jrobinson143
    jrobinson143 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    my lettuce of choice is spinach, i think it has a much better taste than iceberg or romaine. more hearty and less watery. Try and make your self a big super salad with light dressing that tastes sweet and will bring out the natural sweetness of everything. Throw some avacado, boiled egg, cucumbers, tomatoes, sprouts, bell peppers (yellow and red are sweeter), chic peas, crunchy tortilla strips, etc... This will give you a big mix of a lot of different things so things you aren't crazy about you can just pick out or give it a go with something you do like. Taste buds change keep trying new things :)
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies? Or plug your nose while you eat them. :bigsmile:

How about carrots and celery with peanut butter or something like that?
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Force yourself and after awhile it will be fine, I used to hate veggies and I forced myself and now I see a salad and can't wait to eat it!
  • pichurria
    pichurria Posts: 11
    Options
    I like brussels sprouts (as much as I'll like a vegetable I guess)...cut each and half bake in the oven with a little olive oil, pepper and salt until the outside is a little brown and crispy and the inside is soft...

From doing South Beach diet for a few weeks I got into drinking lower-sodium tomato juice (get the organic kind that comes in a glass jar...not canned). was a little weird at first but got used to the taste and now I crave it....it's at least a good way to get some vitamin A without eating raw tomatoes
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    For information, see if you can find Jeffrey Steingarten's "The Man Who Ate Everything." Steingarten was appointed food critic for Vogue in 1989, and decided if he were to do the job right, he had to get over his own areas of pickiness and food phobias. To do that, he set out to learn to like them.

There's a whole book of that title, but it started with an essay, which you should be able to read here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/books/first/s/steingarten-everything.html

Note that he committed to trying everything 8 to 10 times. three times isn't enough, and three times, each cooked a different way, is practically just one time for three different things!
  • pichurria
    pichurria Posts: 11
    Options
    oh AND...you may like Eggplant...sautee it in a wok using Indian or Thai/Chinese spices...you could make an indian dish out of it but do watch the oil as eggplant likes to absorb it.
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Try arugula, served raw. It has a wonderful taste of black pepper, it's a green leaf vegetable.

Also consider sauteed spinach with some garlic and crushed red pepper (if that's your thing.)

Seconding the arugula... A salad bowl full of arugula, sprinkle on some shaved parmesean cheese (the shaved kind may cost a bit more but trust me, it's worth it in this) and toss a few pine nuts or walnuts into the mix, and you might not even need dressing. If you want dressing, make it something super light. I use a balsamic spray that just adds a bit of flavor without weighing it down.

Also, someone else mentioned butternut squash. You can get it cubed already at most grocery stores. Boil it, mash it, and then put a little bit of butter on it. Heavenly.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Can you do tomato sauces? I hide extra tomatoes, carrots, onion, and/or mushrooms in spaghetti sauce by chopping it finely or pureeing it. I love all that stuff whole in there too. I also use spaghetti squash instead of pasta.
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I was the same as you just over a year ago. The only veggies I would touch were potatoes, peas and carrots. The only fruit was bananas. Now I'll try anything at least once. I despise bland veggies. I learned to chop peppers and onions up small so I don't notice them in my rice. I bought a blender & make smoothies with both fruit and veggies (spinach, carrots, any berries, pineapple and other citrus fruits to name but a few). Sweet potato chips are to die for! I now mix sweetcorn in with my peas too. I'm still learning and trying things; it does take time. But you'll get there - enjoy the learning curve :flowerforyou: