Advice please......all welcome

Options
I am a creature.....of habit, well in the eating area of my life lol I eat basically the same thing every day....is this a bad thing? I've heard to mix it up to keep boredom away, but I'm honestly not bored.

Replies

• sexylittlethang
    Options
    I would say it's only a bad thing if there's certain nutrients or food groups that you never eat... If it's balanced and healthy I'd say eat whatever makes you happy. :)
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    If it works, keep doing it. :flowerforyou:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Boredom or not, yes, you need to switch it up. When you eat the same things over and over, you're only getting a limited number of nutrients. If you vary your meals or even just switch things up every week or so, you'll be getting an array of nutrients that your body never had before. I like to get in the practice of buying one DIFFERENT fruit every grocery trip and I switch between my main source of protein for dinner as well as the veggies. For awhile, it was asparagus, then broccoli, now I'm on stir-fry vegetables and have been craving corn lately so I eat that every now and then when I have the extra calories. For lunch, I try to eat the same thing everyday for a week, MAYBE 2 weeks, then change completely, or just add different things. Last shopping trip for lunch, I was eating frozen chicken with veggies. This time, I'm eating turkey sandwiches on rye with avocado, green pepper, red onion & mustard. Much more exciting and enough veggies to get nutrients I didn't get from just green beans like last time.

Sorry for rambling, I LOVE food! haha!
  • tapp52000
    tapp52000 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree...as long as your getting everything you need then who cares? If your not bored and you have a balanced diet then go for it!!
  • lavieenrose11
    Options
    I just finished a nutrition class at my local junior college where I learned that eating a variety of food is important to ensure you are getting all the nutrients you need. For example, oranges have vitamin C while bananas have potassium. Since every nutrient in the food that you eat does something different inside your body, it's important to vary your choices. So for optimal health, variety is key.

I hope that helps! Since I'm a vegetarian-becoming-vegan, I find it fun to play around with recipes of new vegetables I find. There are some sites that take an old favorite dish & make it "healthier" (think veggie burgers in comparison to beef burgers. Or even turkey burgers compared to beef burgers). I don't have any sites on hand, but I know they are out there!

That's all I got for now.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Eating 3 different meals per week can make a big difference. It doesn't have to be on the same day but it is important, especially for weight loss.
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies, I love all fruits and veggies, where I have trouble is the main course....I do switch between, chicken, tuna and salmon, and sometimes I'll just pack a turkey sandwich for my lunch, but I hardly ever stray from those.
  • lab_goddess
    lab_goddess Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    After reading Dr. Oz (you on a diet), they recommend trying to keep breakfast and lunch basically the same, and varying your suppers. They have interesting logic about taste buds and keeping satiated. Basically if you overstimulate your palate, you eat more. I usually have an oatmeal and soy yogurt for breakfast (I vary the oatmeal flavors and yogurt flavors), and for lunch, I have about three different meals I vary. Supper though, I try to mix things up.
  • kukla63
    kukla63 Posts: 4
    Options
    Good Luck with those shorts. I ran 40 munutes today without stopping! Felt great! I need to fit into my size 10 shorts too!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    If you aren't bored and the meals are healthy, you should be fine. If you aren't getting enough nutrients or you truly never change your meals, you might take a multi-vitamin everyday to make sure you get enough of all your vitamins.
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for the replies everyone, great advice.