How to start eating meat again?

Options
13»

Replies

• laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    dont Go have a kentucky fried cruelty burger etc, get a real quality piece of meat if you feel you must. I am still wondering why you feel you need to eat meat ? maybe have an omelette instead ?

'Cruelty burger' is my new favorite phrase. I am planning to have a 91% fat free cruelty burger, with tortured turkey bacon and abusive swiss cheese for dinner. On whole wheat bread with a side baked sweet potato fries, of course.

Okay, I am going to say it. If you choose not to eat meat for whatever reason, that's great. Good for you. But stop being nasty and abusive and insulting to meat and people who eat it to justify your eating choices. Being a vegan or vegetarian doesn't make you better than us meat eaters. Hate is hate, no matter if the people with the 'politically correct' attitudes are doing it.

To the OP. Add some chicken to something you normally eat vegetarian. There is NOTHING wrong with deciding a dietary choice doesn't work for you.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Just wondering why you want to eat meat again? I was veggie for years, then started eating meat again but went veggie again about three years ago. With current farming methods (cruelty plus all the chemicals they pump in them plus the nasty abbatoirs) I couldn't see myself ever going back to eating meat. It would have to be wild caught with no trauma or at least raised naturally with access to outdoors, given a normal lifespan and killed humanely. I truly believe if you can't look something in the eye and kill it yourself then you shouldn't eat it.

I know none of this helps your original question but was just curious as to the reasons for beging veggie in the first place and what has changed your mind?

second.jpg
  • KAYRRIE
    KAYRRIE Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Former vegetarians, I'm just curious, what made you go back to eating meat?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    My hair was falling out, my complexion was grey, I had very little energy and stamina, and at the same time, could not sleep properly. I was constantly hungry. I had a lot of anxiety and depression and was having issues with obsessive thoughts. I was very unhealthy. A vegan diet is typically deficient in micronutrients as well as saturated fat, which is what your brain truly needs to function properly. It is an incomplete diet, at best. I also had issues with joint pain which then became arthritis, ongoing digestive problems, trouble with different tendons and ligaments.

I started eating meat a couple years before my son did, because I was at the end of my rope. I'd been a vegetarian, a vegan, and spent about 9 months as a raw vegan...that was utterly miserable for me. I was cold all the time, just could NOT get warm for anything. I was spending FAR too much time thinking about what I could eat, what I could not eat, what needed to be combined with what, what micronutrients I was missing...and it dawned on me one day that all this was just crazy, and perhaps I should just chill out and try eating a bit of fish. I did that, then chicken, and moved on to other meats as I felt interested in them and up to eating them.

My son was healthy enough until he moved away from home to attend a residential ballet school. He was a vegetarian (not vegan) during his time there, and his diet could not be adequately supported in a healthy way at the school. He became very ill, pernicious anemia, as he was dealing with both adolescent growth spurts and high levels of activity (6+ hours of dancing 6 days per week), and he was not properly nourished on the school's limited vegetarian fare. He was sent home to recover, and I gave him the choice to either eat meat and return to his school or stick to his vegetarian diet and stay home where I could see to it that he had the proper food. He chose meat and school, of course.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I read a way to guesstimate one meat serving is it's about the size of a deck of cards or checkbook.
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I experimented with vegetarianism for 3.5 years in the late 90s and that was after several unsuccessful attempts at it because I was always getting sick when I tried. I managed to stick it out though and I didn't eat anything that used to have a face. The weight was stable, however, near the end I just didn't feel healthy or that energetic (i.e. whole plate of fries for lunch! Hooray, I'm vegetarian!). I felt I could get more quality protein etc. in smaller quantities going back to meat. The first time I ate meat after this length of time (turkey dinner at Christmas), I ended up yakking in my in-laws washroom and it wasn't food poisoning! :sick: Interesting reintroduction...I'll never say never and there is a far superior variety of food options now :smile:
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    After 3 years of being vegetarian I caved to a pregnancy craving for a Burger King Whopper. Didn't get sick or even feel bad at all. I went on a huge red meat kick after that like floodgates were opened.
    A good friend of mine went through what you are and had to start eating some meat again. He eats fish often and chicken here and there but not any other meats. Is a lot healthier now.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    dont Go have a kentucky fried cruelty burger etc, get a real quality piece of meat if you feel you must. I am still wondering why you feel you need to eat meat ? maybe have an omelette instead ?

'Cruelty burger' is my new favorite phrase. I am planning to have a 91% fat free cruelty burger, with tortured turkey bacon and abusive swiss cheese for dinner. On whole wheat bread with a side baked sweet potato fries, of course.

Okay, I am going to say it. If you choose not to eat meat for whatever reason, that's great. Good for you. But stop being nasty and abusive and insulting to meat and people who eat it to justify your eating choices. Being a vegan or vegetarian doesn't make you better than us meat eaters. Hate is hate, no matter if the people with the 'politically correct' attitudes are doing it.

To the OP. Add some chicken to something you normally eat vegetarian. There is NOTHING wrong with deciding a dietary choice doesn't work for you.

How is being nasty back helping your argument? I also don't think that poster was vegetarian since they suggested getting " a real quality piece of meat" which doesn't sound like something a vegetarian would suggest. js
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel.I've been vegetarian/vegan for almost 10 years.In that time,even though I was a good vegetarian I had issues with my health,long story short,my red blood cells became defective,affected my asthma and my oxygen.Needless to say I ended up on more asthma meds and my doctors(I went to a few)said I should start eating meat again.

I started slowly with chicken,little amounts in soup,I ate breast cos you can't really taste it.I found chewing it was so difficult.I eat it now and still dry reach.It's hard knowing I'm eating something that had to die,even if it's free range you just never know.Enough of them get mistreated.So there is a lot of guilt there.

My suggestion is try with something you used to like and enjoy.Like for example.I LOVED bacon,so I can eat that(not the healthiest choice)but it is very tasty.Try incorporating some meat into your favourite dishes as well.

Good luck!It's tough getting back on the meat horse,but it can be done.I struggle everyday but it can be done :)
  • NCISFanatic01
    NCISFanatic01 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Start with the leanest meat possible. Eggs, tuna, other light fish, lean chicken..in small portions..red meat is going to affect you the most because of the higher fat content. It's just a matter of starting one or two bites at a time..
  • NCISFanatic01
    NCISFanatic01 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Start with the leanest meat possible. Eggs, tuna, other light fish, lean chicken..in small portions..red meat is going to affect you the most because of the higher fat content. It's just a matter of starting one or two bites at a time..

Oh and for portion sizes. a NORMAL meat portion is the size of a deck of cards or the size of you fist. That is approx. 3-4oz. take a cooked meat portion and cut it into 3-4 parts. That would make it about an ounce of meat.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I tried the vegan/vegetarian life just to see how my body reacted. I dropped a lot of weight. A lot of muscle mass. I didn't like that. I also got tired fast of eating boca burgers and other so called meat replacements. There's just nothing like a juicy burger. I started eating meat again with relish. Meat builds and maintains muscle. Its wonderful.

Eta: yeah, yeah I know vegetarians get their protein.... but its hella easier eating meat! Especially if you want 1.5g per lb of LBM.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Bacon. 1 slice. Do it now.
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I can only see one or two people on here who medically needed to go back to eating meat. The rest went back because it was easier. I know I did when I started eating meat again. But then you see what happens on farms and in abbatoirs and it ain't pretty or easy, and you realise being a veggie is emotionally easier than supporting such a nightmare industry. It's also less expensive and less damaging to the environment.

I'm about to start lifting and I know I'll need to be really careful with my diet to make sure I get enough protein, but I still won't go back to eating meat. As an animal lover I really don't think I could until things in the industry change very drastically.

I understand that the OP has issues that have become enmeshed with vegetariansim to a point that she can't see the difference and if she needs to eat meat again to get over that, then so be it. She needs to realsie that she hasjust been eating a bad vegetarian diet though - a proper one is very healthy.
  • Lulufifi1994
    Lulufifi1994 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was a pescetarian for nearly 7 years then I made the drunken decision that "This place has naff chips. I'm having chicken.".... I wasn't ill at all. Since then I have eaten chicken out if the vegetarian option has not been something that I can stomach, or if I'm having a bad day IBS wise (dairy sets me off big style and many veggie dishes served in resteraunts have dairy in.) I'd suggest eating out the first time you eat meat if you havn't cooked it before, or have someone else cook and show you what to look for to tell that it's cooked, just to avoid possible illness due to undercooked meat, but I've never heard of anyone being ill just from eating meat again after a long period of abstinence.