Tough Mudder

Options
Flab2fitfi
Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
Has anyone done a tough Mudder - we have on in September and I'm thinking that I might sign up for it. Gives me an incentive to lose weight and start training harder ( well do more than walking).

Also would like to know how fit you need to be - I know its a hard challenge but I'm willing to give it a go.

Replies

• kathheen
    kathheen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Ive never done it but have signed up to the one in Scotland in August its totally pushed me to be more dedicated with my training so go for it and good luck :smile:
  • Happybunny37
    Happybunny37 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I signed up for the one in nov. in San Diego, looking fwd to it, I think it will help me kick butt in the workout department. Good luck and let us know how it went!
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    There is one near me in September. I'm thinking of signing up, I'm registered on the site and the suggestion is you need to be able to run the distance without the obstacles, be able to do a good number of press ups and pull-ups. I can run the distance as I've done half marathons, the press-ups isn't an issue but I find pull-ups tough. Looking at the videos online the upper body strength and endurance is a must IMHO.

I'm not sure it's an event to take lightly
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    I'm planning to start running again and just started up with kettle bells again to help with upper body strength. My biggest problem will be endurance but I'm hoping with just over 4 months i can improve on that.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    There is one in the next town over from me this weekend... I just found out yesterday.. I dont run at all, but I would love to go watch it!
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Where is yours in September? I'm UK so it's near Bristol.

I think 4 months is plenty of time but you'll have to hit it hard :)

I've been out of running injured but have just re-started the running, so while I was off I concentrated on upper body strength so if the running goes ok I'll be entering next month :)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    Mine in Yorkshire but my sis in law might be able to that one so there is another one in October in Cheshire which is closer to her and gives me a few extra weeks to hit the gym once the kids are back in school.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    Well all signed up now - Let the training commence
  • debbiedoodaday
    Options
    Hi there, i'm also doing the North Yorkshire Tough Mudder on Saturday. Have signed up alone so starting to fear that without teammates the mental pressure may become intense. But hey-ho, it's for charity so that should be enough to keep me going! What day are you doing it?
  • Flab2fitfi
    Options
    I'm doing the North West one instead now but have got a Spartan on Sunday. Good luck.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Not that I am against this, because you should most definately persue what makes you happy. With that said; I would highly recommend you try a rugged maniac or spartan 5K before doing a 12 mile mud race. They are both fun; but the 5K is pretty challenging. The 12 mile (Tough Mudder) is a fricking bear!!

Just coming back to this because you also asked about how fit. You can do this at your own pace. In 4 months you are not likely going to be joining to go out in the early morning waves which are the competitive waves. Bottom line is if you can't do an obsticle you just walk around it. But it is still 12 miles. Like I said, I would sign up for one of the 5K's and go from there.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I did the Tough Mudder in July. I loved it and pre-registered for next year.
  • harr3mi
    harr3mi Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Did a similar type experience called "Survivor Mud Run" got me hooked and I love doing these now. Something liberating about cutting loose and getting dirty.
  • lisadbeck
    Options
    I did a Tough Mudder last year and am signed up to do another one in 4 days. You definitely have to be in GOOD shape to actually complete the whole course. I would start out with a 5k mud run first.
  • shawnakrebs
    shawnakrebs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I did one last year and had a blast, planning on doing one next year since new baby knocked me out of the running for one this year. You should try and get some long distance running/joggin down (at least 5 miles), since the course in a 10 to 12 mile stretch. The other parts to work on is upper body strength. I didn't have good upper body strength and had to back out of some of the obstacles. Mostly take your time in these, my team took 4 1/2 hours and had a lot of fun. We weren't super fit and one team member hardly worked out at all still getting his headband in the end. You will be very sore and bruised by the end of the day, but it is so worth it!!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I did a Tough Mudder last year and am signed up to do another one in 4 days. You definitely have to be in GOOD shape to actually complete the whole course. I would start out with a 5k mud run first.

Disagree.