1000 cals left

hawaiibound
hawaiibound Posts: 158
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
Ok so im done eating for the night and still have 1000cals left for the day after working out....what should I do...force myself to eat or let it go?

Replies

• aapye
    aapye Posts: 9
    I've had that happen, usually after hiking I just eat until i'm full and then ignore the rest. I don't hike everyday so its not that big of a deal for me
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    wow.....um well I wouldn't eat if you arent' hungry but if you feel you'd like to use some of them, maybe have some nuts or something ?
  • radtech
    radtech Posts: 20
    Make it a night to treat yourself?? I know personally if I go without sweets during my diet I fail, but when I reward myself every now and then (within reason) it helps because I am not totally depriving myself.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    How many calories did you eat total for the day?
  • sparkles321
    sparkles321 Posts: 107
    Do you ever have days when you're way over? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. It'll eventually balance out and could be good for you. I've heard of calorie cycling, where they eat less calories on some days, more on others and just make sure the week averages out to a certain number per day. It's supposed to keep the body guessing and help ward off plateaus. I haven't tried it, but that's what I read about it.
  • asm2260
    asm2260 Posts: 81 Member
    Ok so im done eating for the night and still have 1000cals left for the day after working out....what should I do...force myself to eat or let it go?

A spoon full of peanut butter helps the medicine go down.....Oh come on, it beats sugar!
  • tkrall
    tkrall Posts: 109
    How many calories does MFP set for you? I'm sure you've heard this a thousand times, "do not go under 1200 calories", as long as you've eaten at least this much I would say let it go. But if not, I would try some nuts or chocolate milk/milk. Just so your body doesn't start to store the fat.
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    I've had that happen, usually after hiking I just eat until i'm full and then ignore the rest. I don't hike everyday so its not that big of a deal for me

I am an avid hiker, and I do the same, there is no way I could eat all those calories. I'm doing 18 miles this weekend.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    My rule of thumb is that if I've eaten more than 2500 calories, I don't fuss about have a super deficit due to higher than normal exercise. I might take the opportunity to indulge with a glass or two of red wine after dinner, but if you've eaten more than 50% higher than your normal daily target, I don't think it'll damage your metabolism.
  • beMyself
    beMyself Posts: 29
    I'm a giant. If I had 1000 calories left it would mean I had eaten 890 for the day. you look to be not of my stature and you only have a few lbs to lose in comparison so you might be way under.

I just go an idea. Why don't some of you people who do all the hiking turn off the workout portion. Or find some way to prevent it from giving you calories, because basically when you put your workout in it is giving you more calories to eat ontop of the ones you already have.
This discussion has been closed.