Irritability on rest days?

Options
So yesterday I had a rest day and I was just kind of irritable and edgy all day. it was for seemingly no reason at all. Nobody did anything and nothing happened to put me in a bad mood. ( I joked with people that I had man PMS today) I am usually a pretty even keeled happy individual. This is not the first time I have noticed this on rest days.

I am wondering if it has to do with either hydration or nutrition not enough carbs or protein or sugar. Not sure if anyone have any ideas please let em know.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Is your nutrition any different than on training days? Your hydration? Maybe you're body just wants the exercise. perhaps try a gentle walk or some yoga and see if that helps. You're still having a rest day, but it's an active rest, which can be ok, for many people.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I get super irritable when I'm dehydrated; so do my kids. When I'm not working out I'm actually less hydrated it seems... so maybe see if you can really load up on fluids even if you're not training in some way.
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Maybe you actually enjoy exercise and were itching to train again.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise first thing in the morning? Exercising can release endorphins ("runner's high," etc.) at certain intensity levels. You could have simply been missing the endorphin rush.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Maybe you actually enjoy exercise and were itching to train again.

LOL its true I do have to force myself not to work out on rest days. I sit in my office on rest day and I cant wait to work out again. I sometimes do push ups but that's it.

I just read an article that said I may be low in Iron. I haven't been eating much red meat. I actually dreamed about a spinach omelet the night before, spinach is high in iron. So maybe that's it. Anyone know anything about this?
  • Rivers2k
    Options
    Do you exercise first thing in the morning? Exercising can release endorphins ("runner's high," etc.) at certain intensity levels. You could have simply been missing the endorphin rush.

I work out 5:30 -7:00am

By the way your pic looks awesome what is that? making me hungry :)
  • Rivers2k
    Options
    Is your nutrition any different than on training days? Your hydration? Maybe you're body just wants the exercise. perhaps try a gentle walk or some yoga and see if that helps. You're still having a rest day, but it's an active rest, which can be ok, for many people.

I took my dog for a 30 min walk in the morning. Maybe I need a walk during lunch to on days like that. I should add its not often just often enough that I have noticed it.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Deep-fried bacon cheeseburger.
  • Rivers2k
    Options

Deep-fried bacon cheeseburger.

I almost had to hit report post for that. It sounds way to awesome, wow! :) Where do you get something like that? That's my weakness screw dessert give me a deep fried bacon cheese burger.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    So yesterday I had a rest day and I was just kind of irritable and edgy all day. it was for seemingly no reason at all. Nobody did anything and nothing happened to put me in a bad mood. ( I joked with people that I had man PMS today) I am usually a pretty even keeled happy individual. This is not the first time I have noticed this on rest days.

I am wondering if it has to do with either hydration or nutrition not enough carbs or protein or sugar. Not sure if anyone have any ideas please let em know.

Carbs or sugar? Do you normally overeat such things?
    I tend to get edgy on rest days or lifting days, but not on boxing days.
    Things that cause my edgy-ness: People in excess of 2 in any one place.

I generally need more sleep, and a piece of meat before I feel more tolerant, and less "Boston" like with people. (Code for a-hole.)