Work FT - Parent of Toddler and over 50lbs to lose?

Options
Let's be friends then! I've been here at MFP for 3 weeks and while I cherish the friends I've made, I would like to meet more people that are in the same boat as me so we can support and motivate eachother. A little about me:

I'm a 28 year old working mom of a 19 month old. I live in Wisconsin and my exercise of choice right now is running (weather permitting). I'm trying to train for a 5K but am so out of shape that I'm currently training for the training lol! Trying to find time to run every day has been difficult but I'm currently getting out about 3 times a week. My husband and I also joined a sand volleyball league this summer, although I'm sure it'll be more of a drinking team that happens to play volleyball :) I've lost 2 pounds so far and have 58 to go. Feel free to add me.

Replies

• mkoff32
    mkoff32 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. 32, married, work full time with 3 kids (11, 4 and 1). I wanted to tackle a 5k as well, so I started Couch to 5k (see my recent post). I signed up for my first 5k in June and have lost 13 pounds so far! I know how busy schedules can get for people like us, and that what we want to do usually comes last. But I've been able to find that half hour to get my runs in. Let's do this!
  • gigi5519
    gigi5519 Posts: 12
    Options
    Nice to meet you! Your profile made me laugh! My husband still hasnt lost his "pregnancy weight" after 19 months but he doesnt have an interest to so I'm on this journey alone. He's been really supportive of my running though just not food choices. I'm thinking once he starts seeing my results, he'll get motivated.
  • mkoff32
    mkoff32 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Nice to meet you as well! Lol, I forgot about my profile, haven't looked at it recently. Since then, I've lost that pregnancy weight and then gained it back from another pregnancy. I dunno why I get fat when my wife gets pregnant! lol
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm ten years older than you, but I'm married, work 45-50 hr weeks, my daughter is 26 months old....lost 29 with 39 more to go. And I live in WI too. So feel free to add me.
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm a FT working mom of a 11 & 13 yr old and have lost almost 70 lbs since last May. It takes some juggling between trying to eat healthy and exercising but you'll learn to squeeze it all in when you can. My hubby is not interested in super healthy food choices either. A big help has been the skinnytaste.com website. Most ingredients I have on hand and he likes most of their recipes, as do the kids. I'm too busy to cook seperate meals every night. We all have our own breakfast & lunch and then dinner we all have the same thing usually. I save most of my calories for later so I can eat what they're eating in moderation. Seems to work well so far. Good luck to you!
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    there's nothing wrong with running, but your most efficient workouts are going to be lifting challenging weights or using resistance bands 2-3 times a week, even once a week would help. so you maintain your muscle while you lose.

as long as you have a deficit, you'll lose. of the different kinds of weight workouts, the most time efficient use compound movements like squats, dead lift, bench press, overhead press. there are a few more, but those are the most common.
    if you just do those lifts breaking them up through the week, you can spend 20 mins a workout. even faster if you do
    body weight workouts or use resistance bands, bc some of the time with free weights is adjusting the weight you're using.

you actually don't have to do cardio to lose weight, it has many great benefits, but if you don't have time that week,
    as long as you have a deficit you'll lose weight.

it would also be a good idea to try to get 100g of protein a day, for most people that's just a few extra eggs, some tuna salad for lunch, or however they want to fit in 1 or 2 servings of protein, more than before.
    in addition to helping you stay full, the protein will help you keep your muscle along with the strength training.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/929012-for-those-starting-out-in-bodyweight-weights

so the clif notes is to remember to keep this simple:
    1. keep a calorie deficit
    2.eat 100g of protein (or more)
    3. strength training
    4. cardio a few days a week, if you have the time and energy
    but if you hate cardio, it's optional
    also, your best option for cardio is intervals
    working up to HiiT, high intensity interval training
  • Hlm103010
    Hlm103010 Posts: 39
    Options
    In the same boat! I have very active almost 10 month old baby girl at home who just started walking last weekend! My husband works super long hours and by the time he get's home from work and eats dinner is about 8:30 at night. He doesn't like me going out alone to walk, so I'm going to invest in a treadmill and either wake up at 5 am to use it or use it when he is having daddy time with the baby. It's going to be a struggle but I need to do it for my health!