I have had ENOUGH (binge-eating)

Options
I just can't take it anymore. I cannot take the way that binge-eating makes me feel. It WILL end up killing me, I'm being honest and I am not overreacting. I'm nearly 23 - only managing to keep at a healthy weight through lots and lots of exercise. I do not want to be one of those people at 50, having binged for the last 30 years (I've already been doing it for 7!)

My boyfriend always rolls his eyes at me when I talk of abstinence from my trigger foods. He believes that it is not necessary, and that I just need to 'be strong.'Problem is, my self-esteem is now at an all time low. 50% of the time, I wake up near-on suicidal with guilt from last's night binge. The only reason I am depressed is because of my binge-eating - but now it is starting to effect my 4-year long relationship (I love my boyfriend so much, but I am now quite regularly in a bad mood due to overeating)

Tonight, I'm going to go home and I'm going to talk to him. I'm going to tell him that I WILL practice abstinence until I feel comfortable enough to start re-introducing trigger foods back into my diet. I am not mentally strong at all right now - I honestly feel that abstinence, though hard for the first couple weeks, is the only way in which I can get a hold of my eating. Believe me, I've tried EVERYTHING. By abstinence, I do not mean deprivation, by the way. I will strike for 1800 or so calories a day - give or take a few. But I simply cannot consume trigger foods (sugar, refined carbohydrates) without wanting to go on a wild eating binge half an hour later.

I just think this is the only hope I've got. My life is important to me and food has taken over. If I have to give up cake for a few years/whatever, I don't care. Living my life happily and healthily is better than any cookie!

Replies

• amynicole0410
    Options
    you only have 21 pounds to go according to your ticker.. you couldn't be THAT overweight? Don't be so hard on yourself!

That said, do what you need to do. if abstinence is what you feel you need to do for you to feel better and get this under control, put your foot down. Your partner should be supportive.. though, consider that it may also be an insecurity thing on their part - afraid to lose you if you do lose the weight and get into shape. (Again, I say this without knowing what your current stats are, but it IS a common issue in relationships when one partner takes the leap forward. In this case, reassure the heck out of him, but make it clear that you still need support. You feeling better = better for the relationship.)
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I totally understand this, and good luck. It's taken me a long time to realize there are some foods that I just can't eat right now. And honestly, now that I haven't eaten them in a while, I'm kind of grossed out by the idea of them. I fully believe I'll be able to come back to the snack foods that are causing me trouble down the road and eat in moderation, but for now, I'm picking different, healthier snacks. And that IS "being strong," if you ask me!

And also a note on the depression issues... I hugely recommend talking to your doctor about it if you haven't already. It doesn't matter what is triggering, sometime you just need a little extra help to move past it. I've been there as well, and I know how draining it can be. Just remember suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem, and many forces in your life (including your food choices!) are completely within your control! Good luck to you, you'll do great!
  • _Frankie_
    _Frankie_ Posts: 36
    Options
    @AmyNicole I'm very lucky in that I'm not overweight - but it's a bit confusing, I have no idea why I'm not overweight yet. I binge on average anywhere from 3-5 times a week (we're talking 8000-10,000 calories daily) and I've been doing it for nearly 7 years. However, my weight remains relatively stable, if not going up or down 5 lb every now and again. I'm 5'6 and 136 lb.

But this isn't really about weight for me anymore - I'd like to be a little slimmer, but more important to me is my happiness. Binge eating makes me feel DISGUSTING and very, very inferior. My confidence and self esteem is torn to shreds.

My partner is an odd one; he's lovely, but he's very, very slim (6' 2 and 154lb!) - he has a healthy diet most of the time, but also loves to bake and indulges in cake a couple times a week. He bakes TONNES of bread though, which would be great if I didn't binge on it all the time. He knows that I struggle and comforts me, but the way he sees it is, that I just need to be 'normal' around food and blah blah blah. The problem is, after 7 years of disordered eating, I can't just 'get normal!'
  • _Frankie_
    Options
    Thank you very much @eep223, good luck to you too! It's nice to have someone understand.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    At least you don't have a weight problem -- yet. I think you should seek professional help. And if you plan to stay with your boyfriend, maybe some couples therapy, because he isn't giving you any support.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    You need to get in therapy now for your eating disorder. The binging may be causing the depression but you need to find out what is causing the binging. This is serious, please get professional help.
  • sean_d33
    sean_d33 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Do what you feel you need to do to be successful! Abstinence doesn't make sense to someone who does not have issues with food. My wife can eat whatever she wants whenever she wants and she cannot know what it feels like to have "trigger foods". A lot of people on this site know exactly what you're talking about and will support you! Good luck to you!
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    The worst part is having a partner who doesn't "get it" or understand your issues. You have to do what YOU have to do to keep happy....even if HE doesn't understand!
  • _Frankie_
    Options
    At least you don't have a weight problem -- yet. I think you should seek professional help. And if you plan to stay with your boyfriend, maybe some couples therapy, because he isn't giving you any support.

'yet' is exactly it - there's no way I can go on like this without eventually gaining! I've been to a therapist for 6 months - twice. But the thing is, I do not have any deep dark emotional monsters that make me binge eat. I binge eat because I restricted my diet far too much (400 calories a day, never lasts long!) as a young teenager and developed a very unhealthy relationship with food. Whenever I go to therapy, they always try and find some hidden secret memory as to why I binge - but there isn't one. I had a pretty happy child/teen hood! Therapy works for many, but I believe my binge-eating is due to the way I've wired my brain over the years, and also perfectionism - which is a curse!

And I do not want to lose my relationship with my boyfriend - he is my best friend, and does TRY to support me in the way he knows how. He, just as many others, does not understand the complications behind the eating, that's all.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and 136 lb.

That does sound like a perfectly healthy size. Good for you for recognizing the need to change your habits despite before it has affected your weight. Getting healthy isn't all about weight. I will repeat what I said though, talk to your doctor about this. Tell him/ her what you told us and ask for some help.
  • _Frankie_
    Options
    You need to get in therapy now for your eating disorder. The binging may be causing the depression but you need to find out what is causing the binging. This is serious, please get professional help.

I've been to a therapist for 6 months - twice. But the thing is, I do not have any deep dark emotional monsters that make me binge eat. I binge eat because I restricted my diet far too much (400 calories a day, never lasts long!) as a young teenager and developed a very unhealthy relationship with food. Whenever I go to therapy, they always try and find some hidden secret memory as to why I binge - but there isn't one. I had a pretty happy child/teen hood! Therapy works for many, but I believe my binge-eating is due to the way I've wired my brain over the years, and also perfectionism - which is a curse! And as for a therapist attempting to 're-wire' my brain, it hasn't worked before. I've tried CBT therapy - no go.
  • _Frankie_
    Options
    The worst part is having a partner who doesn't "get it" or understand your issues. You have to do what YOU have to do to keep happy....even if HE doesn't understand!

Thank you for this, he tries...but he has a pretty healthy relationship with food. He doesn't understand what it is to be in my position food-wise.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options

This. And if therapy is not an option, look into Overeater's Anonymous. Good luck on your journey.
  • _Frankie_
    Options
    Do what you feel you need to do to be successful! Abstinence doesn't make sense to someone who does not have issues with food. My wife can eat whatever she wants whenever she wants and she cannot know what it feels like to have "trigger foods". A lot of people on this site know exactly what you're talking about and will support you! Good luck to you!

Thank you, you've all been very kind. Your wife sounds like my boyfriend - he can have a cookie and be satisfied, where as I can't stop obsessing until I've finished the bag! I'm both glad and sad that there are folks out there that understand - I wish disordered eating wasn't so hard to tackle!
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Abstinence at first sounds like a good idea to me!

When I first started I completely cut out foods I know I cant eat just a little of and I'm doing fine.

For some triggery but not as triggery foods i will sit down and make a conscious attempt to eat that thing in moderation. Make sure to measure out a portion, put the rest away, sit down in front of it, take a sip of water, and eat it slowly.

If I feel the need to eat more of it, I will just go for a walk.

It's working so far but I haven't tried to touch crisps or ice cream yet, which are my biggest problems
  • Emar11
    Emar11 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You may be at a healthy weight but its all about how you feel about yourself. That's ultimately what will make weight loss a success or failure. I started my weigh loss journey about 2 years ago and lost 40 lbs in the first year. I have made drastic changes in the activity level of my lifestyle and have maintained the weight loss for about a year. My problem, like you is my trigger foods and binge eating.

I will admit today (to my horror) that last night after working incredibly hard at boot camp, I came home and proceded to eat almost an ENTIRE bag of Doritos. It has come to the point with me that I understand where my triggers are, and no matter how much I try to convince myself that I can stop, and have these items in my house. I am proved wrong every time.

I'm not really one to give relationship advise, but try to stress how important it is to not have your trigger foods in the house. If you were a heroin addict, I doubt he would be making a big deal about having that in the house. (Not the same thing, but food is an addiction too)
  • _Frankie_
    Options
    Abstinence at first sounds like a good idea to me!

When I first started I completely cut out foods I know I cant eat just a little of and I'm doing fine.

For some triggery but not as triggery foods i will sit down and make a conscious attempt to eat that thing in moderation. Make sure to measure out a portion, put the rest away, sit down in front of it, take a sip of water, and eat it slowly.

If I feel the need to eat more of it, I will just go for a walk.

It's working so far but I haven't tried to touch crisps or ice cream yet, which are my biggest problems

Ideally, I'd like to get to that point where I can comfortably eat my trigger foods - but I know myself too well, and if faced with eating only a small portion of my trigger - at the moment, I know it'd just set me off! I'm glad things are going well for you, keep smiling and keep it up!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Check out this blog:

http://www.youreatopia.com/

So much good info for all types of eating disorders.
    Also check out:

http://gokaleo.com/

There is also a group on Facebook called "Eating the Food" that was started by the woman, Amber, who writes the Go Kaleo blog. There are a lot of women on there who are healing from all types of eating disorders. One of the biggest things that has been healing for me is learning that food is not evil or my enemy. And that once I get that, and remove the stigma and restrictions from my food, I can approach eating in a much healthier and freeing way.

Obviously, you have some healing to do in regards to your relationship with food, but I think with proper support and education you can be set free from this compulsion.
  • _Frankie_
    Options
    You may be at a healthy weight but its all about how you feel about yourself. That's ultimately what will make weight loss a success or failure. I started my weigh loss journey about 2 years ago and lost 40 lbs in the first year. I have made drastic changes in the activity level of my lifestyle and have maintained the weight loss for about a year. My problem, like you is my trigger foods and binge eating.

I will admit today (to my horror) that last night after working incredibly hard at boot camp, I came home and proceded to eat almost an ENTIRE bag of Doritos. It has come to the point with me that I understand where my triggers are, and no matter how much I try to convince myself that I can stop, and have these items in my house. I am proved wrong every time.

I'm not really one to give relationship advise, but try to stress how important it is to not have your trigger foods in the house. If you were a heroin addict, I doubt he would be making a big deal about having that in the house. (Not the same thing, but food is an addiction too)

Don't feel too guilty, it's alright - my binges are more around the calorific value of FIVE bags of Doritos haha! But yes, I do try and have him understand how hard it is for me (especially as he works nights and I'm often left alone in the house with the bloody food!) but he's a major foodie and loves to bake and cook. I feel guilty is I ask him to stop making bread, etc, as he's so passionate about it. He wouldn't stop anyway!
  • Emar11
    Emar11 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    We should start a support group for binge-eaters like us. haha. I live alone with my daughter and she is too little to really hold me accountable. I know when I am around people I don't binge. Even at parties. I avoid the food table because I feel like people can tell I want to binge on certain things. I also certainly never log a binge on MFP.