Net calories too low

Options
Hey guys,

So just yesterday I realized that I had been eating too low. I thought that I was supposed to eat 1200 calories and then exercise. Sometimes I would eat 1300-1400 and exercise, but most of the time it was 1200 minus exercise. I didn't realize the goal was 1200 NET calories. I have been doing this for almost 2 months and I am just wondering if I totally screwed myself...

Will my metabolism recover from this? Anyone else had the same experience?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Nope, you're fine. Yes, it'll recover (more than likely no significant damage was done in only 2 months).
  • gagatcu
    gagatcu Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding! Should I prepare myself for any weight gain?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    are you still losing weight?

increasing your cals to net 1200 shouldnt mean any major weight gain, if the scales do go up a bit, they will come back down in a couple of weeks!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding! Should I prepare myself for any weight gain?

maybe a small amount. If you are still in a deficit the weight gain would most likely be water weight anyway.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Depends... how much are you increasing your daily cals by? You had been eating 1200-1400 daily, now you'll be doing the same PLUS eating back exercise cals. How many exercise cals are you eating back?

You might see a little weight gain initially, but it'll be mainly water weight which will level out over time. Just understand what the scale number represents (total body mass, not simply fat gain/loss) and you'll be fine.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

So just yesterday I realized that I had been eating too low. I thought that I was supposed to eat 1200 calories and then exercise. Sometimes I would eat 1300-1400 and exercise, but most of the time it was 1200 minus exercise. I didn't realize the goal was 1200 NET calories. I have been doing this for almost 2 months and I am just wondering if I totally screwed myself...

Will my metabolism recover from this? Anyone else had the same experience?

You don't damage your metabolism eating 1200 calories, gross, net, or anything else. It's not even a low calorie diet.

It's funny to me, if so many people here had only worried about damaging their delicate metabolisms on their way to becoming overweight or obese...
  • boboff
    boboff Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Wow that was thoughtful compassionate and full of empathy! Let me guess you are a man!:drinker:
  • gagatcu
    gagatcu Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Depends... how much are you increasing your daily cals by? You had been eating 1200-1400 daily, now you'll be doing the same PLUS eating back exercise cals. How many exercise cals are you eating back?

You might see a little weight gain initially, but it'll be mainly water weight which will level out over time. Just understand what the scale number represents (total body mass, not simply fat gain/loss) and you'll be fine.

I will be increasing my cals by about 200 per day in order to net the required amount. Good advice about the scale..would rather worry about inches and toning but it's so hard to not be focused on that stupid number.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    200 cals shouldn't matter that much. If you're worried about it, increase by 100 cals this week, then another 100 cals in a week or 2.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Wow that was thoughtful compassionate and full of empathy! Let me guess you are a man!:drinker:

Was that comment directed at me? If so, sorry to mess with your stereotypes, I'm a woman. I'm actually quite empathetic, but after a while on this site (I've been on for some time) the sheer amount of misinformation and willful acts that undermine weight loss irritate the hell out of me.

And I do think it's ironic that people who probably abused their bodies for years by overeating are acting as eating at a perfectly safe calorie level are doing permanent damage.

Just because YOU wouldn't eat at a certain level doesn't mean it's unhealthy. Numerous people on this site have explained that 1200 is not unhealthy, it does not trigger "starvation mode;" it's not even considered medically low calorie. You personally may not find 1200 sustainable, but plenty of people do. They lose weight and move on with their lives.

The amount of whining I encounter on this site is unbelievable.

Again, if you want to lose at a slower rate that's your choice, but stop attacking people who are pursuing a perfectly healthy course.