Hummus Dip

Options
Healthier_Me
Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
For those who continue to wonder what Hummus is... here you go!
This is one version.

1/2 tsp ground cumin (to taste)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1/2 Tbsp fresh dill
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
Chopped parsley to garnish (optional)
3 Tbsp sesame tahini
1 can (19 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained

Prep & Cooking Time: 20 min.

Yield: 8 servings Serving Size: 0.25 cup(s)

Directions:
Place the chickpeas in a food processor with all the remaining ingredients (except garnish). Process until smooth, scraping sides and thin mixture to desired consistency by adding water a few drops at a time. Chill for 24 hours to allow the flavors to blend before serving. Garnish with parsley and serve with pita bread or vegetables.

Each serving provides:

Total Calories: 140 Carbohydrates: 19.19 g
Total Fat: 5.55 g Protein: 4.71 g
Sat Fat: 0.74 g Fiber: 3.57 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 218 mg

http://www.healthylivingonline.com/mealsrecipes/recipecenter/index.cfm?fuseaction=recipePage&recipe=14

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Options
    For those who continue to wonder what Hummus is... here you go!
    This is one version.

1/2 tsp ground cumin (to taste)
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
    1/2 Tbsp fresh dill
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 Tbsp olive oil
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    Chopped parsley to garnish (optional)
    3 Tbsp sesame tahini
    1 can (19 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained

Prep & Cooking Time: 20 min.

Yield: 8 servings Serving Size: 0.25 cup(s)

Directions:
    Place the chickpeas in a food processor with all the remaining ingredients (except garnish). Process until smooth, scraping sides and thin mixture to desired consistency by adding water a few drops at a time. Chill for 24 hours to allow the flavors to blend before serving. Garnish with parsley and serve with pita bread or vegetables.

Each serving provides:

Total Calories: 140 Carbohydrates: 19.19 g
    Total Fat: 5.55 g Protein: 4.71 g
    Sat Fat: 0.74 g Fiber: 3.57 g
    Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 218 mg

http://www.healthylivingonline.com/mealsrecipes/recipecenter/index.cfm?fuseaction=recipePage&recipe=14
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    My favorite food!!! :bigsmile:
  • CharInBC
    CharInBC Posts: 11
    Options
    Sounds great...I'm going to make it this weekend.

Thanks for the recipe!
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    Very welcome:bigsmile:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if I bought it already prepared in the store, what section do I look for it? Yesterday I went to Fare-way, I asked around and no one knew what I was talking about. I thought when I go to Hy Vee tomorrow I would look there.:smile: I am going to take your recipe with me in case they don''t have it and I will make my own. Thanks.:flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I tend to find hummus in the deli area. At least in my grocery store, the produce and the deli (where you get cold cuts, etc), are around the same place and that is where I find the hummus. The roasted red pepper is GREAT!!!
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    It should be in a buffet type layout thingamajig... where they have antipasto, olives, fresh mozzerella...

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • auntkaren
    Options
  • bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    I was wondering if I bought it already prepared in the store, what section do I look for it? Yesterday I went to Fare-way, I asked around and no one knew what I was talking about. I thought when I go to Hy Vee tomorrow I would look there.:smile: I am going to take your recipe with me in case they don''t have it and I will make my own. Thanks.:flowerforyou:

Look in the international section (mediterranean) of the grocery store if your store has one. I find the best hummus is usually there!
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    For those of you whom arent big cumin fans, here is my recipe for Hummus. Fast and easy! :wink: Tip: If its to thick for your liking ... thin it out with a tablespoon of water at a time to desired consistancy. If your in a real hurry dont drain and omit the olive oil. :smile:

The can: Chickpeas
    The plan: Hummus in a hurry

Rinse and drain 1 can (16 oz) chickpeas. In food processor, ( Or blender, or submersion thingie ) combine with 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice, 2 Tbsp tahini, 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp bottled minced garlic, and 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper. Process until smooth. (8 servings, huge 1/4 cup serv.)

Per Serving : 107 Calories; 4g Fat (35.6% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 174mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat. (( 2 pts ))
  • auntkaren
    Options
    :happy: I finally found Hummus in the store today...roasted red pepper....Good! Next time I will try making my own and compare. thanks:flowerforyou: