Has anyone ever tried the Overnight Diet?

Options
9781455516919_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

I have the book. I'm reading the book. It seems logical to me, but I wanted to get anyone's opinion who has actually successfully done this diet and kept weight off. Reading testimonials in the book seem so contrived I'd rather hear from real live people.
The story goes like this: 2 lbs on the first day (up to 2 lbs that is) and they advise it's mostly water weight, then up to an additional 9 lbs after the first week (so if you're super obese, 11 lbs in the first week). What I <i>haven't</i> found yet is this: What happens after the first week? There is no way the human body can support that kind of loss every week. I've heard of intermittent fasting, like 2 days a week of 500 calories composed of healthy items such as vegetables and low fat soups etc. then 5 days of just regular healthy eating. This seems similar to that, but they don't say what the weight loss should be after the first week :S

I know people are calling this a fad diet, it's basically 6 days of high protein then 1 day of smoothies only (protein powder added to fruit/veg/almond milk and blended). They'll say "where's the study?" There's a bunch of medical journal references at the back of the book and I'd be happy to post them.

Anywho, I digress. Has anyone done the overnight diet for longer than a week? If so, what have been your results?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I diet overnight every night.
  • Kaypix
    Kaypix Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I read the original post which was mostly people just saying "it's a fad diet don't do it", and "if there are clinical trials, show me". But I have a hard time seeing what defines it as a fad diet, and that no one has said they've even tried it. Someone out there has tried every diet on the face of the planet at some point. I am merely trying to find someone who has tried this one.

Here are the medical journal articles (including clinical trial results) that were referred to in portions that I thought sounded logical:

Varady, K.A. 2001. Intermittent versus daily calorie restriction: Which diet regimen is more effective for weight loss? Obesity Reviews 12(7): e593-601
    Here's the link to the full article: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2011.00873.x/full

S. Bhutani, E.C. Church, et al. 2009. Short-term modified alternate-day fasting: A novel dietary strategy for weight loss and cardioprotection in obese adults. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 90:1138-43
    Here's the link to the full article: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/90/5/1138.full.pdf+html?sid=1203568d-4345-46aa-81da-1afeee8f291f
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Do you honestly trust this woman's advice?

41sCjRKfwaL._.jpg
  • kellimr
    kellimr Posts: 69
    Options

Lol I was thinking the exact same thing when I read the post topic ~ nice one....
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    *whispers*

What happens...in the night?
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options

41sCjRKfwaL._.jpg

This!!! Just another way for her to make a few bucks.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    9781455516919_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

I have the book. I'm reading the book. It seems logical to me, but I wanted to get anyone's opinion who has actually successfully done this diet and kept weight off. Reading testimonials in the book seem so contrived I'd rather hear from real live people.
    The story goes like this: 2 lbs on the first day (up to 2 lbs that is) and they advise it's mostly water weight, then up to an additional 9 lbs after the first week (so if you're super obese, 11 lbs in the first week). What I <i>haven't</i> found yet is this: What happens after the first week? There is no way the human body can support that kind of loss every week. I've heard of intermittent fasting, like 2 days a week of 500 calories composed of healthy items such as vegetables and low fat soups etc. then 5 days of just regular healthy eating. This seems similar to that, but they don't say what the weight loss should be after the first week :S

I know people are calling this a fad diet, it's basically 6 days of high protein then 1 day of smoothies only (protein powder added to fruit/veg/almond milk and blended). They'll say "where's the study?" There's a bunch of medical journal references at the back of the book and I'd be happy to post them.

Anywho, I digress. Has anyone done the overnight diet for longer than a week? If so, what have been your results?

You do realize that it says "UP TO two pounds", right? As in, probably nothing but weight does fluctuate on a day to day basis so there's a pretty good chance that if you hydrate adequately, you'll see the scale reflect it. Besides that, if you're weighing at night then yeah, you're going to see a lower number in the morning.

And obviously you knew that people would call it a fad diet and ask for the studies. That's because there's no evidence this diet works ... thus the fad diet.
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Oh good lord...Alli. I tried those and my friend would ask me if I'm still taking my "squirty diet pills" !!! Hahahaha!

If you want to try it, try it. I do the hcg diet which is also considered a "fad" diet and I've lost over 100 pounds in a year and kept it off for the most part. Now I'm exercising and maintaining and my eating habits/outlook have completely changed. Keeping the weight off for life is about a lifestyle change- a whole new way of looking at food. As long as you know you can't go back to eating the same old junk after you lose weight, no matter how you lose it, fast or slow, it will come right back if you eat your old "normal" way. You have to create a new "normal"

Good luck in your journey! :)
  • The BEST DIET is the one that you don't do...

The BEST RESULT come from not depriving yourself from anything and using moderation and self control on everything... There is no magic diet, there is no magic pill and there are many of those that end up being unhealthy - hit your macros eat in accordance to what your body needs to function and get yourself moving... That is what it takes

Good luck to you...
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

Haha! My thoughts exactly.

But seriously, even if this is a fad diet, that doesn't necessarily make it inherently bad. I think as long as your body's caloric and nutritional needs are being met, there's really no harm in it. The most important question is: is it sustainable for you?
    I like a good smoothie here and there, but personally, I could not do smoothies all day for one day every week. I've had plenty of success making healthier choices and eating whatever I like at a moderate deficit.
    But if you feel like you need or want something like this to help you get to where you want to be... whatever floats your boat.
  • matthewcorb
    Options
    This is very interesting. Haha. But I'm sticking with mine. :)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I read the title and thought "laxative."
    Sorry dearie, it's a fad.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I prefer the 'eat less move more' diet
  • Kaypix
    Kaypix Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'll give it a go anyways (since let's face it, I am considering it enough to pay the $7 for the book) and i'll get back to you with how it's doing.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    You can only lose weight with a calorie deficit.

If it works its because its advocating a calorie deficit.

There are no other ways.
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    doctor-who-adipose-alien.jpg
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options

me too! funny:laugh: Honestly, I've never heard of it.
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

41sCjRKfwaL._.jpg

Where does she even get that Alli helps you lose 50% more? Even the Alli people only claim it will help you lose 1/3 more weight then you would without it. Sounds like she is making up some stuff to sell books - Not Nice :(

ETA: Although I'd be interested to know if she mentions all the horrible side effects of Alli in this book either. I've heard some stories...
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    doctor-who-adipose-alien.jpg

This would not be such a bad diet, take a pill and get a cute little adipose fat baby (at least until mom and dad come looking for it) Love that episode.