Looking for other working mothers of toddlers

Options
I know I can't be the only one! LOL It's hard enough to find time to work out when you have a job or a child but to find time with both... is really tough. I tried to join a few groups on here for working parents or parents of toddlers but they are not active. I'd like to make some friends who are dealing with the same struggles that I have.

A little background: My son is 2 years old and I watch him all day from morning until about 1:30pm. Then I drop him off at daycare and have 2 hours until I work. My general work schedule keeps me there until almost midnight. So I have a two-hour window 4 days a week where I can cook, clean, exercise, and shower. The only day that my husband and I both have off at the same time is Sunday. We work opposite schedules to cut on daycare costs but that leaves very little time for ourselves because one of us is always working and the other is at home with our son.

Replies

• jal92475
    jal92475 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm a working mommy with a toddler. She is 16 months old. I'm out of the house from 8:30am-6:30pm. I get an hour lunch so that's when I get my "exercise" in which is usually a brisk walk. My daughter goes to sleep between 9pm and 10pm so the evening is always a rush to get dinner and baths and then bed.

The exhaustion is what has been doing me in. I am so tired I barely want to move when I get home and like you, "me" time is non-existent. I'm doing my best to change my lifestyle and hoping more energy comes with that so I can be there for my daughter. Friend me if you would like. :)
  • genkimomof2
    genkimomof2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Tough schedule! My husband and I worked opposite days with my son to avoid daycare, so I remember those days of never seeing your spouse for weeks at a time! I have two babies now, my son is 7 and my baby girl is 18 months and quite the handful! Dad stays home with her and I'm the breadwinner and i have long hours away from home, especially if i take an our out at the end of the day to hit the gym.

Feel free to add me! We working mums need to stick together! :-)
  • cookieluvsya
    cookieluvsya Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I work, go to school, and have a 1year old and a 3 year old and try to work out 5-6 times a week.. AND ITS TOUGH!! Feel free to add me I love to post postive stuff and give positive vibes :)
  • starmonique
    starmonique Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Im a single working mother with an extremely active 22month girl. I wake up at 530am m-f take her to daycare then go to work. I get home at 5pm to leave to school at 630 and back home by 930pm. then after cleaning cooking and homework, 8hours of sleep is a must. i need to find time and motivators because somedays a 30 minute routine seems like no can do.
  • tonyat71
    tonyat71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm a single, working mom of twin 3-year-old boys. I work 7:30 to 4:30 Monday thru Friday. My parents are babysitters for my twins. "Me" time in non-existent for me. My parents have been wonderful but I know they get tired running after 2 toddler boys. Even exercise time for me is very limited for me. I've done good to lose the weight and stay on track.

Feel free to add me if you like.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Mine aren't really toddlers anymore, they just turned 3 and 5 :sad:
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm a working mom of two:) They will be turning 4 and 2 in June. I totally understand your busy/ hectic life. My hubby works 3rd shift and I work first. He puts in alot of long days so unfortunately we don't always get alot of time with him during the week. Do to his unpredictable hours both our kiddos are in daycare full time (luckily the love the sitter/other kids). Recently I have been starting to go to the gym on my lunch hour and it has been great for me physically and emotionally. I struggled with feeling run down and tired but getting more active helps keep me going through the day!

Feel free to add me if you'd like. I am happy to offer your support and you can help keep me accountable too:)
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I am also a working mom of a toddler, our daughter is 12 months old. I work from 8-5 Monday to Friday, and I have a total of an hour commute. I generally leave around 7:20 or 7:30 and then I don't get home until around 6 or 6:15. Then I try to cook, clean, spend some time with our little lady, get in what exercise I can, and then my husband gets home at around 7:35 and we have dinner. Then, our princess goes to bed around 8 or 8:30 and we quickly follow suit. Wednesday's I'm never home before 9:00, we have church. I also have to make time to visit my mom at least 1 even throughout the week, as my dad passed away a few years ago. She then moved in with a sister, and her sister just recently passed. A month ago yesterday actually.

So I can completely relate to the tiredness and the fact that it's hard to find time for anything. But. I've decided I can't live this way for the rest of my life, it will literally kill me. So, I throw the princess in the stroller and we walk. Or, I wait until she's in bed and then I go outside and jump rope.

I also meet 2 of my cousins once a week for Zumba at my house and once a week to walk. They also have kids so it's a good opportunity for the kids to play or walk with us.

Praying you find your balance!

Feel free to add me!
  • ladymnlite
    ladymnlite Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for posting. I knew I couldn't be alone in this :) Sometimes it seems so difficult and other times things do flow well.

One day I'll put on my Zumba game and start exercising and my son just dances along with me... other days I put on my Zumba game and he strips and streaks through my house - so exercise then becomes 10 minutes of "chase the toddler" followed by 15-30 minutes of "dress the toddler." LOL
  • Stacey_Leeann
    Options
    I am a working mom of two kiddos as well. One is 7 and the other is almost 2! It is for sure hard to find time to workout, and I am slacking in that area right now. But hopefully with school about to be over I will be able to start making time for that! I sent you a friend request!
  • kimbershep
    Options
    Hi there! I am a working mom of a 15 yr old, 2 yr old and 6 mo old. My job can be stressful; especially during the time when students are testing. I am always trying to make sure that everyone is taken care of and end up neglecting myself which is why I joined myfitnesspal to help me be accountable of losing all the extra weight I've put on. Balance is everything I am told and I am trying to get there:) I believe you will too!
  • yychen01
    yychen01 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi, I understand what you mean about the inactive mom groups...so far I haven't found one that I update to. Maybe we can start one? A supportive community (even online) can do wonders! Would be even better if we lived closer so toddler playdates can be mixed with exercise. Wouldn't that be a dream.

I have a 18 month old daughter and a baby boy on the way (33 weeks pregnant), and I'm in school full time. I'm going to be trying to lose the baby weight after I deliver. Add me as a friend so we can motivate each other through the busy days :)
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    ME! My kids are 10, 7,6, and 3. I work full time
  • yychen01
    yychen01 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    For those moms who exercise during "lunch break." What are your workouts like? Do you shower at the gym right afterwards?
    I find it almost impossible to get in a 30-35 min run, shower 10 minutes, dry hair...and return to class/work all in under ONE hour lunch break.
  • kandacelynn914
    Options
    I'm a working single mom to a 2 1/2 year old boy.
    I work out of the home 40 hours a week. I wake up early to work out before he gets up so in the evening I can spend time with him. I also walk at work on my lunch. Feel free to add me :)