Who has a garden to grow their own fruits and vegetables?

Options
Who on here has a garden to grow their own fruits and vegetables? Tell me the size of your garden and what you plan to grow.

Last year I invested in a Tower Garden which is vertical gardening using an aeroponic growing system. I had so much fun with my first TG I bought another one this year. These TG’s can easily sit on your back deck, patio, or front porch. No soil so no tilling, weeding. Fewer ground pest problems. Uses less than 10% of the water of conventional soil gardens because it recycles its own water through a pump system. Plants grow 2-3 times faster. TG’s are made of food grade plastic, double UV protective coating so they’re made to last 20 years.

In my 5 foot TG I have larger plants with a tomato cage I plan to install once the tomatoes and vine plants get going. On that TG I have the following plants: beans, swiss chard, sugar snap peas, zucchini, cucumber, tomatoes (Cherry & Big Boy), and different types of hot peppers (jalapeño, habanera, Thai chili).

In my 6 foot TG I have medium to small plants so I have the following: lettuce (romaine, bibb, and green crisp), toscano kale, cilantro, garlic chives, basil, red peppers, and arugula.

No fruit on my TG’s, I’d grow strawberries but I have a local farmer less than 2 miles away with a strawberry field and an asparagus field I can pick from.

Below is my TG blog I plan to update periodically. If interested you can also view my previous 2 posts “TG Details & Benefits” and “Kickoff of 2013 Vertical Growing Season”. Enjoy and have a great weekend!

http://wp.me/p3g1VU-O

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I have a container garden on my rather large back deck. Mostly tomatoes of various types, but some lettuce and peas.
  • Tiffy_Pea
    Tiffy_Pea Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    We are growing veggies this year, but we plan to spread it out around the different areas of our yard. We are growing sugar snap peas, green beans, LOTS of tomatoes, mixed bell peppers, red bell peppers, chile peppers, jalapenos, habaneros, cucumber, watermelon, broccoli, spinach, carrots, some peaches and cream corn, and 2 varieties of pumpkins. I'm very excited!
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    We had one on the side of the house but my cat decided that he wanted to use it as a litter box :grumble: so I had to pull everything out. I plan to start growing stuff again but need to build something around the area to keep kitty kitty out!!!!
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    We have a batch about 10 by 20 feet in the backyard.

Usually grow a lot of tomatoes with some zucchini and yellow squash too.

With a nice sunny weekend coming up, we will likely be getting it started the next couple of days.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I have a small garden at home in the backyard and we have a community garden at work that's about a half acre. I only grow some tomatoes, beans, asparagus, a few strawberry plants and some raspberries at home. Our work garden has just about every vegetable you can think of in it.
  • oldy76
    oldy76 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I live in the city and grow all my fruit & veg in pots, troughs and containers etc. I've got berries, a dwarf apple tree, guava, lemon & kaffir lime and for veges (we're in autumn here in New Zealand) I grow beetroot, spinach, heaps of lettuce, leeks, spring onions, broad beans, peas, mustard, lots of herbs, microgreens and do my own beansprouts. I still have to buy a lot of produce - I eat a lot of vegetables - but it's nice being able to grow at least some of it myself. It's so satisfying.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I container garden now scaled down from a large uncovered patio to a 4x9 covered, screened patio. But I'm buying a house with a yard soon, and will expand using raised beds.

Presently I have an Ackee tree that needs to be planted in the ground soon, 2 replanted-from scrap pineapples, one is bearing now. Celery replanted from scrap. Romaine lettuce replanted from scrap. Tons of green onions replanted from scraps as well. And sweet potatoes are growing in my compost bin...where I tried to throw them out.

When I move I will definitely be doing herbs (rosemary, basil, mint, cilantro). I want a Rose Apple tree (Jamaican), would love to do watermelon if I can, strawberries, and key limes.
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    We will be container gardening this year and I'm not sure how much space we are going to use.

Growing will be : Sun Sugar Cherry Tomatoes, Beef Steak Tomatoes, Chocolate Cherry Tomatoes, Carnival Mix Bells Peppers, Mexibell Peppers, Jalapenos, Black Seeded Simpson lettuce, Dragon Tongue bush beans, Cucumbers for salads and pickling, Stargazer Watermelon, Chives, Garlic, Bunch Onions. I also have 2 blueberries in pots and 2 raspberries in the ground.

If I am out an about and come across odd veggies I like to pick them up, I am going to be getting chocolate peppers and black cherry toms from a local garden store.
  • Laurelthequeen
    Options
    I have several 2ft tall raised beds (keeps the dogs out) for edibles. We also grow winter squash on the ground as a kind of living mulch most years.

3x3 - shallots, scallions, brussels sprouts
    3x3 - Artichokes, winter squash (growing over the side), pole beans(on a trellis)
    3x3 - Garlic, brussels sprouts, pole beans (on a trellis)
    3x3 - Rhubarb, winter squash(over the side)
    4x10 - Peas & tromboncino zucchini (on a trellis), carrots, butter type lettuce, kale, bush zucchini
    4x10 - Tomatoes, eggplant, jalapeno and gypsy peppers, basil, maybe cilantro
    2x6 - Kohlrabi, spinach, beets

Then I have my herbs in various pots on my back deck (so I don't have to put on shoes to collect them) - sage, rosemary, thyme, chives, garlic, parsley, cilantro, dill, sweet bay laurel,mint, catnip

We also have an olive tree that just went in in the front yard, and a huge strawberry bed near the deck.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have two 4x4 raised beds. Planning to plant tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans, peppers and herbs this weekend. I'm also going to pick up some long, rectangular pots to put on my deck and plant lettuce in. It's so pretty, I thought it might add some color to the deck! One of these years I'll get my act together in time to start seedlings indoors--I'm always planning my garden at the last minute.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I use weedless gardening and it works great. I get huge production out of my garden and I eats tons of food out of it during season.
  • smacmillan86
    smacmillan86 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Our garden is about 50 ft x 30ft and is my husband's domain. We also have several apple trees, pear trees, cherry trees, and blueberry bushes. The only thing in our garden right now is garlic, since we still have snow melting off the ground.
  • zozie73
    zozie73 Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm lucky to have a huge garden (25ft by 110ft) in it I have apple, plum, pear and damson trees, gooseberry bushes, rhubarb, red and black currants and grape vines that sort of look after themselves we also grow lots of different veggies and salad stuff both outside and in the polytunnel. I also have 4 hens that have free range in the garden except for the veg patch (they ate all my winter cabbages). I love being able to go down pick the veh I want for dinner and then cook it for dinner. I also make jams, chutneys and pickles and freeze loads.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Not at the moment but hopefully soon. I have a really sunny balcony though and grow alot of herbs there. I tried to grow tomatoes last year but they got some weird tomato disease so that was the end of that :(
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have two 4x4 raised beds. I usually plants a combo of peppers, tomatoes, and herbs. I also have a trellis against my house in the front flower garden that's for cucumbers. My backyard has a pear tree that came with the house when we bought it.
  • NJD2885
    NJD2885 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    our garden is probably 50 x 50. We have 4 blueberry bushes, 25 strawberry plants. we haven't planted the rest yet cause it's a bit early where I live but we have our seeds and we are planting: snap peas, peas, pumpkins, zucchini, corn, carrots, yellow beans, green beans,and squash. We also have our own eggs (we have 18 hens)
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have a 25' x 3' garden plot with a drip irrigation system, plus a lovely slope for my fruits. I am planning on romaine lettuce, spinach, bell peppers, cayenne peppers, tomatoes, onions, garlic, potatoes, green beans, kidney beans, and peas this year. For fruits, I have humongous strawberries, table grapes (Canadice), and raspberries. I just planted two "Lil Big" apple trees - braeburn and honeycrisp - but those won't be productive for a couple of years. I will be planting watermelons and catelope/mussmelon in the front yard on Saturday.
  • SolanumSunrise
    SolanumSunrise Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'd love to have some hydroponic or aeroponic gardens! I'm afraid that it gets too hot here and the water would get so hot that it would cook the roots.

I have three raised beds with lettuce that is currently bolting, a few carrots left from the winter garden, spinach, fennel, swiss chard, chamomile, dragon tongue beans, yard-long beans, red and yellow bell peppers, poblano peppers, cucumbers, pattypan squash, rock melons, lots of herbs, and a good variety of orange, red, pink, purple, and black tomatoes.

Fresh produce here is pricey and I wouldn't be able to eat as much of it as I do without growing it myself.
  • AprilLove125
    Options
    I live on a small family farm and my inlaws run a greenhouse business there, so we garden like crazy. Last year it was about a quarter acre but the drought destroyed us and this year we are scaling back to about half of that. We grow many kinds of tomatoes, radishes, carrots, beans, broccoli, cauliflower, pea pods, cucumbers, celery, lettuces...you name it. I also have an herb garden with parsley, cilantro, oregano, sage, thyme, basil, lavendar, and mint. I dry a lot of herbs at the end of the season and use them unitl the next growing cycle.

My husband used to plant watermelon, squash, and pumpkins, too, but we're too busy with other things now to manage two gardens.

I can't wait to get out there and plant again!
  • shadowlydarkness
    shadowlydarkness Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    We try and grow all kinds of stuff, we love experimenting with all typoes of veggies in our garden. We used to have a huge variaty of things, now the weather is changing most things have finished growing, and birds were destroying everything so we had to get rid of most, but we will plant it all again next season for sure!

We used to have: garlic, snow peas, spinach, brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, patatoes, capsicum's, onion, lettuce, beetroot.... and I might have forgotten a few lol. We had big pots and bins everywhere with things growing in them, because our garden is made of clay it is almost impossible to grow things in the ground.